Diff Lock Settings - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 29th, 2008, 03:05 PM
hamiamham
mike
97 D-90

Diff Lock Settings

Read the manual and searched thru old posts here and I still dont fully understand which of the 4 positions the diff lock shud be in under various conditions. Can someone chime in? Im especially interested in sand, stuck in sand, dirt, and snow. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 29th, 2008, 03:16 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Mike,

Here is how I use it:

High - Unlocked - Normal road road conditions, gravel roads and flat dirt roads.

High - Locked - Extreme weather on road, dirt roads where extra traction is needed

Low - Unlocked - gravel roads and dirt roads with small obsticals

Low - Locked - Sand, loose gravel, difficult trails and extreme off roading, stuck or recovery

ARB's - Extreme obsticals

Old January 29th, 2008, 03:20 PM
hamiamham
mike
97 D-90

thanks for the response. To what speed can one go when its in low range?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 29th, 2008, 03:27 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I think that you can go up to 30 or 35 miles per hour in low range. I typically do not go that fast.

Old January 29th, 2008, 03:27 PM
hamiamham
mike
97 D-90

thanks
Old January 29th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

What do you guys do when it is snowing or icing out and haven't experienced any slipping, but you also don't want to slide straight through a turn?

I have a problem locking the diff if I haven't noticed any slip or if only once in a while, but I don't know what I should do if I "might" slip.
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

I assume that means keep it in 4 high until I slip, then lock the diff.
Old January 30th, 2008, 05:51 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

It snowed here a couple weeks back, I locked the center diff for fun... The truck ran just fine on the road.

Old January 30th, 2008, 06:00 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

I’m always wary of locking a center dif if the roads are not pretty slippery. The wheels sometimes need to slip a little if the diff is locked. Back in high school I locked my truck (chevy so not completely relevant) into 4wd when it was snowing and parked it during practice during which time the sun came up and dried up the roads…. Turning around in the parking lot afterwards was enough strain to shear the bolts holding the diff together and dump the transmission fluid out onto the ground…. Good times that was… Dad was quite pleased with me…
Old January 31st, 2008, 10:38 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi guys,
MMMM Snow now that would be nice over here..

For snow you ideally want to be in a high gear to avoid wheel spin, if needed you can lock and unlock the diff in high and low on the move, if you are very clever you can shift between L-H and H-L also but needs a gentle touch on the gas

please send some snow..! with my luck it will snow here in the UK when i am in Morrcco in march.!

Gren
Old January 31st, 2008, 01:58 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris
I’m always wary of locking a center dif if the roads are not pretty slippery. The wheels sometimes need to slip a little if the diff is locked. Back in high school I locked my truck (chevy so not completely relevant) into 4wd when it was snowing and parked it during practice during which time the sun came up and dried up the roads…. Turning around in the parking lot afterwards was enough strain to shear the bolts holding the diff together and dump the transmission fluid out onto the ground…. Good times that was… Dad was quite pleased with me…
Locking the center diff or transfer case is just putting the power equally to the front and rear wheels... It is not the same thing as locking the differentials/3rd member or axles with ARB's, TrueTrac or Detroit lockers.

You should not lock the axles on dry pavement, because with that much traction, you will probably break something.

Old May 28th, 2008, 03:25 PM
midturtle
Wes
'95 90 SW #234

Question

Don't mean to highjack this thread, but I'm new to the defender ownership world, by about a month, and have a question that I could not find an answer to on in the forum...I bought my truck and the previous owner put ARB airlockers on. My question is in order the ARB's to operate by pushing the front and rear buttons that came with the kit, must I also lock the diffs with the center shifer? And if so, I'm guessing that the you can run the ARBs locked into the four stock diff lock positions? Basically what I'm asking is that in order to get the ARB lockers to work is it necessary to lock the center diff shifter? Thanks for the help.
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Paul Davis
Paul Davis
97 ST

The short answer is no you don't have to have the diff lock engaged for the ARB's to work but why you want to? The advantage to ARB's are that you can turn them on and off very easily during trail rides and they will not effect your everyday driving like some other lockers.
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:04 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by midturtle
Basically what I'm asking is that in order to get the ARB lockers to work is it necessary to lock the center diff shifter? Thanks for the help.
Ok, by over simplying this, here is what you could start with:
- slippery road: lock the CDL (Central differential)
- when the CDL is not going to be enough: lock the rear differential
- when you are really stuck and can't move forward anymore: lock the front differential and back out

I believe the default ARB wiring prevent the front diff lock from engaging unless the rear diff is engage. I don't believe in that philosophy and wired mine independently.

My 2 cents though: if you are new to four wheel drive, then see how far you can push yourself to your limits before you seek mechanical assistance. You will see that they are many times where you will go through a lot of difficult stuff without locking anything.
Always keep in mind that lockers (CDL or ARB) put additional strain on components (otherwise there would not be differentials in the first place), so you always have to be more careful when locking things or you will damage your transmission (be it an axle shaft or worst).
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:27 PM
midturtle
Wes
'95 90 SW #234

Thanks for the insights. I just didn't want to 'double engage' and tear something up. I'm excited to use the ARB's as I'm a rookie to them and heard nothing but great things. Also, is there any maintenance, preventative/other, that I should be aware of other than fluid change?
Old May 28th, 2008, 05:10 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by midturtle
Thanks for the insights. I just didn't want to 'double engage' and tear something up. I'm excited to use the ARB's as I'm a rookie to them and heard nothing but great things. Also, is there any maintenance, preventative/other, that I should be aware of other than fluid change?
- Make sure your axle breathers are not clogged or you will get oil back at the compressor.
- Make sure you do not engage them when one wheel is spinning.
- Make sure you change your fuilds regularly (and top them off if necessary).
- Be gentle on the skinny pedal.

My first thought when I heard about lockers was (I admit: a few years ago when I was a lot younger! ): lock everything up and go up the tree! That G-Wagen with 3 lockers was what I wanted to get when I'd be allowed to drive.
Well.... I've learnt differently now and I definitely not use them as much as I thought I would. But when I do, I always fear to brake something (not that I have, but I know it's a matter of time, not a "if").

Somebody has in his (her?) signature something along the lines of: "lockers are something you use to get stuck to a point you can't get out anymore". This is probably true in 80% of the cases.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old May 28th, 2008, 05:33 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

We have low unlocked?
I swear i never tried doing that!

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old May 28th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Actually, locking the center diff on dry pavement does cause binding in the transfer case due to slight differences in tire diameters. Buddy of mine, not the sharpest tack in the box, left the hubs and transfer case in a military Chevy locked one time and went on the highway. Didn't take long before the case grenaded on him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

If you have the ARB's locked but the center diff open, you can still technically be in 2 wheel drive as the center diff will transfer the power front and back. In that case, you will have both passenger and driver tires spinning at the same exact rate, but possible different rates front to back. By locking the center diff, you are assured that all 4 tires will spin at the same rate and will give you the most traction.

The biggest downside to the locking of the center diff is that your turning radius will definitely suffer (did someone else say that and I missed it? Can't believe it). If you are on a tight twisty trail, you will definitely notice it. Unlock it and your turning radius will be much, much better.

Basically, I leave the center unlocked almost all the time that I am NOT on an obstacle when off roading. When driving, I also rarely lock it accept in very slippery conditions where I am afraid of getting stuck.
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:08 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

I have never locked the center diff while on pavement with snow. Is this what you guys do? how fast can one go with center diff locked? In other words can you drive on the highway with a few inches of snow or just a sheet of ice with the center diff locked?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions