Diff Lock Remains Engaged but Light is Off - Whats Wrong? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 2nd, 2009, 03:24 PM
R. Kurk
Richard Kurk
1993 110 NAS #489

Diff Lock Remains Engaged but Light is Off - Whats Wrong?

I have searched through several dozen postings on diff lock issues but canít find a reference to my problem described below.

In preparation for an upcoming trip I took my NAS 110 out of the garage into the street , in high range I moved the transfer case lever to the left diff locked position, the light comes on and I proceeded to drive around my block (a circle not a square) slowly. After about 500 ft and about 100 ft from my driveway I move the lever back to the right to unlock the diff. The light goes OUT but the diff remains locked. It is obvious because trying to turn into my driveway the vehicle is groaning in the tight turn. I back up, go forward, and repeat this many times. The lock finally releases after BUT light remains off. The only way I know it is unlocked is to turn the truck into a tight turn and Ďfeelí if it is unlocked.

My concern is that when I come off a dirt-gravel section on to pavement, unlock the diff (light goes off), but the diff is not unlocked I could cause some damage driving on hard pavement at speed.

Other than this issue the transfer case works fine. Any suggestions of why the light goes off but the diff remains locked?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2009, 03:31 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Because by driving on pavement especially in a circule you built up enough tension (wrong word but you get the idea) in the system so that it could not unlock itself. Never use difflock on hard surfaces.

The switch for the light is not the same as the actual binding of the center diff.

Ron

PS btw your experience is pretty normal for people who did what you did.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 03:59 PM
R. Kurk
Richard Kurk
1993 110 NAS #489

The binding was expected, hence the go slow around the block approach with no tight turns, and even the back-forth to unlock. The unknown remains why the light goes off but the diff remains locked.

Is the 'bound up' situation shutting off the light but keeping the diff locked up? I was under the impression the light works off the diff directly and not the linkage therefore regardless what the linkage is doing the light will give a true indication of what the diff is doing (?) Does the 'bound up' somehow negate this operation?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2009, 04:10 PM
evilfij
evilfij

"(?) Does the 'bound up' somehow negate this operation?"

Sometimes yes, at least in my experience (poor first disco I had I would diff lock for no reason on wet pavement and do this).

Follow-up Post:

"The binding was expected, hence the go slow around the block approach with no tight turns"

This is the worst you can do to it. Tight turns, the tires jump and release the tension.

Bottom line is it does not seem broken. If you are really paranoid, drain the oild and look for bits, but I think it is 100% normal.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 05:07 PM
R. Kurk
Richard Kurk
1993 110 NAS #489

Ron, thanks for the observations. Part of the 'get ready for spring trips' was to change the fluids ... everything looked good. Yes, I am a bit paranoid ... my nightmares are usually about breaking something 50 miles out on some loney desert track where the last person you saw was two days ago. Also, I almost always travel alone, fequently in empty desert spaces, so breaking something/breaking down is more complex and potentially serious than when you are in a group.

Again, thanks.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 05:30 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Ok, please don't rely on my observations. Buy a new t-case to be safe. I don't want you to die because I was wrong.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 05:45 PM
R. Kurk
Richard Kurk
1993 110 NAS #489

I put a new (rebuilt) transfer case and transmission in the 110 when I bought it three years/12k miles ago (bad bearing in the transfer case and very bad 1-2 synchro in the transmission). Don't worry the observations are treated as just that, observations and not absolutes but appreciated never the less.

Thanks.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 08:03 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

That is the lawyer in him speaking... I would take it out to a dirt or gravel road and lock it up, drive it around and see how it responds.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Ok, please don't rely on my observations. Buy a new t-case to be safe. I don't want you to die because I was wrong.

Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:36 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
I have the opposite problem, lock is not engaged but light stays on, any thoughts?
Old April 3rd, 2009, 10:41 AM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Richard...

We also like to get out in the desert alone and I had the same worries until I got a Spot. See

www.followmespot.com.

Clark
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:26 PM
R. Kurk
Richard Kurk
1993 110 NAS #489

Kevin, If I can figure out what the source of my problem is maybe yours will be the same just with a reversed visible symptom. I may try to get to a local off-road park (Hollister Hills) in the next couple of days and exercise the diff lock on dirt and gravel and see what happens (vs. the pavement on my street) per Scotts recommendation in an earlier reply. I did go over the diff lock linkage last night, the linkage is tight, moves fully - engaged to disengaged, so I don't see an issue there.

Clark, I've been checking out the Spot trackers for a while. My only concern has been the sometimes bad user reviews regarding failure to send a message. Although this seems to be related to not waiting long enough to let the unit get the message out (15 minutes?) and not having a significantly obstructed view of the sky (e.g., deep forest). I am 90% set to get a Spot for an upcoming trip.

Thanks.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 01:30 PM
hamiamham
mike
97 D-90

common problem. put truck in reverse. back up. diff unwinds. as stated in the manual i believe.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 01:58 PM
Treuwer
Trae Reuwer
94 D90

www.findmespot.com

is the correct website
Old April 3rd, 2009, 10:57 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Thanks Trevor....

I should never trust my memory.

Clark
Old April 5th, 2009, 12:01 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiamham
common problem. put truck in reverse. back up. diff unwinds. as stated in the manual i believe.
If your talkin about my issue thats not it, I think there must be a wiring issue. I have tried the backing up thing a tone of times and am fully versed in the wind up that happens.
Thanks for the tip, maybe some newer members will benefit from this pointer.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht