Diff Lock Light Wiring - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 1st, 2009, 09:12 PM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

Diff Lock Light Wiring

OK I must be stupid and I should know this but for the life of me I am stuck.

On a 83 110 with Disco 95 Auto Box and Transfer box (1995 switch on the transfer box)

I can't make the dash warning light come on when the T case is locked.

I have one black / blue wire that should connect to the trasnfer box switch. Light comes on when I ground said wire so I know the bulb has juice and the switch sends a ground.

The 1995 switch has two wires and I have checked both to see if the ground will active via the switch when the T case is locked.

Can't locate my Rave cd, so can't see the wiring for the 95 disco.

Anyone have a clue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:08 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Have you tried putting a voltmeter on the disco switch to check it's actually working properly?

AFAIK (i'll check RAVE in a minute) the switches all work the same way, it's just some switches have spader terminals, some have a few inches of wire with a moulded plug (Td5 defender is the same)
Old September 2nd, 2009, 04:15 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi Stephen, the wiring is correct as it lights up diff warning.
You could test the wiring by touching the B & Bu wires together this proves the B earth wire
as I assume to got the light to come on by touching the Bu wire to earth directly
If this works the switch is either duff or needs adjusting.

unscrew the switch & reconnect the wiring, test it by pushing the plunger in with your finger if this works then refit it & adjust switch by selecting difflock, back off the locknut on the switch then wind in the switch far enough to light the bulb dont go to far as it can jam the difflock linkage and make it difficult to engage.

hope this helps
regards

Gren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2009, 10:20 AM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

Morning

Gren

I have a single B & BU wire that leads back into the firewall. When I earth that wire the light comes on.

My line of thinking is something is missing for the switch side as I have two wires on that one.

On the T case I have a Green and yellow and another color which I can't recall at the moment. These wires terminate into a later style round plug.

I have two wires in the switch and one leading back to the light (to supply ground). I could have a bad switch and will check tonight but damn if it is not driving me nuts.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 12:48 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

You are missing the wire from the switch on the T-Case to the ground. It's like 6" long and bolts to any T-Case bolt in the proximity.

The switch has two prongs for the connectors and one is for your Blue and Black and other for the ground.

Good luck !

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:38 PM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

Damn shipped that wire and switch when I sold the LT85 box. Man that sucks. I assume that the newer disco switch will work fine once I ground the new switch. Should have headed off this trouble and hunted up my RAVE Cd.

Thanks Pat
Old September 2nd, 2009, 04:45 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

I've got the same thing going on with my '85 since I put the new powertrain in. I haven't grounded one of the spades to the tcase box yet, so I'll try that as well.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 06:01 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

just love an easy fix.!! still waiting for mine.

regards

Gren

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, wiring