diff lock light - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 7th, 2008, 09:56 PM
1993 NAS 110
diff lock light

diff lock light will not come on. any ideas how to check the transfer case or mechanism. is there a fuse i am missing
any help is appreciated

Old August 7th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Neil Steinhagen
1986 Tithonus LHD
Is it not locking and just not indicating? Has it indicated before? Could it just be a blown bulb? Two screws to take your binacle out and check the bulb by replacing it with a known good bulb.This would be my first trouble shooting effort.

Old August 7th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3
Check your fuses before doing anything.
Before taking anything apart, I would test the diff lock.
Put the truck on 4 jack stands (or two one up front one in the rear, see later why), move the diff lock to "locked" turn the front and rear driveshaft with your hands in opposite directions to try to lock the differential (it probably will be easier to block one wheel and turn the other one.
At some point, the differential should lock. When locked, you will see that your front and rear driveshaft turn in the same direction at the same speed (i.e. wheels turn in the same direction/same speed).
It is does not lock, then this is a mechanical (or linkage) issue. It is does, then this is an electrical issue (fuse, wiring, switch or bulb).

I'm sure a nicer way of testing the diff lock exists somewhere here.

On mine, it was the switch that broke. Could be fixed (and was fixed) but I ordered a (expensive IIRC) replacement. I have yet to get the adjustment right....
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
I have an ex MoD and an ex wife. The two no longer conflict with each other.
Originally Posted by ron View Post
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions