Diff Lock - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 22nd, 2007, 04:27 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Diff Lock

And yes, I searched.

I got terminally stuck on Sunday in a steep incline, loose rock, loose dirt situation. I previously had a 1995 Disco, and easily made it through stuff like that in that past, but couldn't do it in the Defender. Since I've had the D, the diff lock light has never worked, but I assumed it was the switch. Stupid me.

Diff lock isn't engaging, and once one wheel would spin, I was toast.

Here's the question: after pulling the shift boots off, I can see down along the side of the tcase, and see the linkage move (maybe too easily). It looks like the final linkage where it goes into the housing is only moving about halfway, towards the passenger side.

Should it be going all the way over? Any way to adjust?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2007, 06:21 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The linkage should turn a shaft sticking out of the top of the T. case. Make sure that is turning. If it is, then there could be something jammed up inside the case.

In the future, make sure it is engaged before trying anything off road. Spinning tires with the diff open is a sure path to breaking the center diff.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 08:18 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Update:

The shaft is turning, but it's not turning the tab on top of the case. I would assume that tab should remain stationary, and the shaft rotates through it, yes?

Looks like I've got an internal problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 26th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

The linkage was attached, but not over the oblong slot. All's good, and thanks for the advise. New switch tomorrow, and I'll actually have the light.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions