diff fluid level - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 28th, 2013, 09:54 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

diff fluid level

So I crack open the TOP (filler) bolt on my front diff. Glug glug, about 6 oz or more of gear oil come pouring out of the filler hole (not the bottom drain hole, which is still plugged). Now, I believe my D90 which I bought 6 months ago has a slight lift, maybe 1.5" or 2" by PO. Is it possible lifting the vehicle can change the driveline angle so that the diff pumpkin filler hole is now at an different angle? If so, do I still go by "fill until the filler hole leaks" method?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2013, 09:55 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMidnite View Post
So I crack open the TOP (filler) bolt on my front diff. Glug glug, about 10 oz or more of gear oil come pouring out of the filler hole (not the bottom drain hole, which is still plugged). Now, I believe my D90 which I bought 6 months ago has a slight lift, maybe 1.5" or 2" by PO. Is it possible lifting the vehicle can change the driveline angle so that the diff pumpkin filler hole is now at an different angle? If so, do I still go by "fill until the filler hole leaks" method?
Did you drain the rest of it from the bottom? I think oil floats on top of water...

You little rebel, I like you.
Old December 28th, 2013, 09:56 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
nope - filling with oil from the swivel balls - your seals are bad...fun job
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2013, 09:57 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

Yes, oil doesn't look water contaminated. (will check again though, what does water contaminated oil look like? grayish?). Didn't consider that possibility.
Old December 28th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
it stinks...bad
Old December 28th, 2013, 09:58 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

ouch.. swivel ball. Ok, according to a sticker on the radiator the passenger side has "one-shot." So the driver side must still be oiled up. The driver side swivel ball looks dry from the outside, so internal leak?
Old December 28th, 2013, 10:03 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
take a lesson from a lady for a swivel ball seal hack ..

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LRhubseal.htm
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 28th, 2013, 10:06 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

While I'm at it, maybe I should clean out the "one-shot" from the passenger side and replace with proper gear oil? From other threads, I think the consensus leans toward the original spec oil instead of grease.

------ Follow up post added December 28th, 2013 10:10 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
it stinks...bad
Hmm, but I think gear oil in general has a funky smell because of its sulphur content?
Old December 28th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Yes, oil doesn't look water contaminated. (will check again though, what does water contaminated oil look like? grayish?). Didn't consider that possibility.
Sometimes it'll look like chocolate milk!

I used to be a gear-oil-only in the swivels but in the last few years I appreciate the truck with one-shot grease....doesn't drip!

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old December 28th, 2013, 10:41 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
grease...factory recommended - must be right
Old December 28th, 2013, 10:57 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

Quote:
grease...factory recommended - must be right
The alleged motive behind LR switching to grease is that yuppie owners complained about "oil leaks" on their driveways.

One advantage of gear oil is it is easily changeable after a day of heavy mudding, and also you can tell if the seal is leaking.
Old December 28th, 2013, 11:47 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
nope - filling with oil from the swivel balls - your seals are bad...fun job
It's not THAT bad...you can pull the entire assembly with the 6 bolts at the axle flange and pull the whole thing off...seals are right there.

I also don't think it's that big of a deal if the swivels are leaking into the axle tube - just pop the fill plug on the diff when you fill the swivels. Swivel balls only call for like .33 Qt to fill anyhow, which will get you to about the bottom of the axle tube.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 29th, 2013, 09:24 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I was apprehensive about cutting the swivel seal but it seems to work as posted above.
Old December 29th, 2013, 09:39 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
I was apprehensive about cutting the swivel seal but it seems to work as posted above.
I agree with NOT cutting the seal (I think you're referencing how some folks cut the outside/exterior swivel ball seal #FCT3401 to fit a new one in place on the outside of the swivel ball itself)....mainly because if you just pull the 6 bolts on the housing itself where it bolts to the axle tube you can slip a new seal right over and does not take that long to do it correctly.

But that aside, his issue I think is actually the INNER Oil Seal on the Swivel Ball Housing #FTC3276 (it's the smallish seal that the axle itself slides in to and keeps the fluid in the swivel ball housing versus flowing over into the axle tube).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 29th, 2013, 10:04 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
One shot and gear oil both, still lets you drain the soupy mess nd seems to hold off leaks.
Old December 29th, 2013, 02:41 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

Thanks everyone for your tips. Leaning towards disassembly of both swivel balls to inspect, regrease and check seals. Found a detailed, well illustrated write-up:

http://www.repairmylandrover.co.uk/d...ll-replacement
Old December 29th, 2013, 02:56 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your tips. Leaning towards disassembly of both swivel balls to inspect, regrease and check seals. Found a detailed, well illustrated write-up:

http://www.repairmylandrover.co.uk/d...ll-replacement
Wait...so are your swivels leaking outside (at the external swivel seal - #6 on the diagram) or is it just overfilling the diff? If it's just the diff overfilling there's no need to pull it all completely apart, just pull the entire assembly by unbolting it from the axle tube and replace #12 shown in the diagram.

Chances are the #12 seal just got "popped" out at some point by someone taking axles in and out.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 29th, 2013, 03:22 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

Hmm, outside /inner wheel rim area looks dry. Will check inner seals first. I know passenger side has had one-shot put in by a LR dealer about a year ago.
Old December 29th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Capt, back to your first post...I guess theoretically it's possible if your truck has been lifted, the axle/diff is now pointed more downward= *more* oil.

If you're not leaking oil out of the hub end...I'm not sure I would tear into the swivels....

Just make sure you've got oil/grease in both swivels and the diff !?!

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old December 29th, 2013, 05:33 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Capt, back to your first post...I guess theoretically it's possible if your truck has been lifted, the axle/diff is now pointed more downward= *more* oil.

If you're not leaking oil out of the hub end...I'm not sure I would tear into the swivels....

Just make sure you've got oil/grease in both swivels and the diff !?!
Revisiting that idea, I wonder if that is possible. Probably the driveshaft just angles higher while the diff stays level. I can imagine for maybe an extreme custom lift, but not for a mild lift.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions