diff carrier bearings-school me - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 31st, 2010, 09:37 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
diff carrier bearings-school me

So I have my old detroit back, still in the carrier. Trevor had removed it for Gustavo and removed the carrier bearings. I now want to put it into the 130. In looking @ the parts book it appears that there are spacers behind the bearings. Is it best route to carefully pull the bearings and spacers from the existing diff and reinstall on the other carrier ? Had planned on just getting new bearings but thinking that may not be the way to go.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 31st, 2010, 09:57 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

The Detroit for a Salisbury come sans carrier. If you want to install it in the 130 simply pull the carrier out, take it apart, remove the side and spider gears and replace it with the detroit you pulled out of the other carrier.
If you want to change the carrier bearings I would simply remove the bearings keeping track of the shims and press the new bearings on over the shims. Bearing tolerances are such that it should not make a difference.

Gimmie a call if you have Q's

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old August 31st, 2010, 11:10 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
So the best way to go is to pull out the bolt that held the detroit together when you sent it to me, put that back in and the take the carrier apart. Instead of swapping the ring gear and simply puting new carrier bearings on that one ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 31st, 2010, 11:25 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Absolutely. You can swap the carriers in an hour, setting up gears under the truck is no fun...

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
carrier