Diesels, if given a choice - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 1st, 2013, 03:27 PM
jcb-memphis
Jeff B.
None

My bias is the 2.5 that can really breath (Turner flowed topend) and a vnt, and one of the new 242mm heavy duty clutches.
110 hybrid (from a 90) NAS Defender "Oates" #1597
2002 D2 SE "Very Disco" (sold)
1993 RRC LWB "The Beast" (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 1st, 2013, 03:51 PM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

Until you get into the big V8 diesels there is going to be limited power. All of these will perform well within limitations. The issue that comes to mind is the cost to do a conversion. None of these are cheap. This is where Robert Davis' Mercedes OM617 conversion will shine. You'll still have to fork over the cash to get the conversion bits but then the costs drop off. There were over a million Mercedes 3.0 5 cylinders imported into the US. Let's clarify that as 'fully legal' diesel engines that can be had for about $400 in the picknpulls and maybe double that at other yards? Where will you find a good running 200, 300, 2.8 or TD5 for that kind of coin? Plus, these engines can be tuned to produce healthy hp/tq that mimmicks a 4.0/4.2 V8 with better mpg. Plus, you can run WVO blends on the sly because it isn't a common rail injection system. Single wire dirt cheap diesel power is hard to beat.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:19 AM
jcb-memphis
Jeff B.
None

I am not so sure the "cheap and good" om617's exist in my area....I wish they did as I am very intrigued. The tdi's get about 25 (lead foot and stage II) to 33 (super gentle) mpg. Not sure what the om617's get but thought I read 22-25....

jb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:54 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Diesel nirvana is relative. The engines bantied about in this thread are very different. Some are low rpm engines and some are high rpm screamers, some are direct injection some are not, some easy to service others not so much. Some have low power bands that aren't as usuable for a defender application. Tdi single wire technology is just that- ancient technology. I have driven Roberts Isuzu powered RRC and the Merc powered 110. Both were superior to tdi's in driveablity and performance.
There is a preference amongst many owners to stick with engines made by Rover, Robert stopped playing in that sand box long ago.
As far as clutches for Tdi's go, I'd suggest the 130 setup. I would also add that the work I have seen from Turner has been far from inspiring, in fact their quality control and attitude towards quality leaves quite a bit to be desired. Perhaps Renching will chime in here on his experience/nightmare with a Turner head.

My .02, if you are on the East coast, go drive some of these guys trucks. Marks 2.8 is also one of the heaviest 110's you will see, Robert just sold the merc powered 110 but may be able to arrange a drive, and the isuzu is with his son in NY or Va depending on school. Tdi's and Td5's contact me.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 10:22 AM
jcb-memphis
Jeff B.
None

Thanks....that OM617 is sounding better and better....and the frank data really helps, thank you again.

I do have to do some runs up on a 45mi drive on a highway and would like to be able to feel ok on the road too....

Is the OM617 "easy to work on" so to speak. I have independents around here that can deal with it, but the guru land rover types may balk.... I can do basic stuff, but for pulling an engine or gaskets, I usually go to a professional. Also assuming the chain, if fresh, is good for a LONG time.

jeff
Old July 2nd, 2013, 10:35 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

I'm touting Robert's Mecedes conversion having hands-on knowledge of it. I was even heading that direction in my 110 but have decided a GM LT1 would serve me much better for towing a loaded car trailer. I also considered it for my '90 RR but that would be a one-off project that would take great pains to accomplish properly. As such, it wil be getting the 300TDi and Ashcroft supplied ZF-HP22/LT230 1.4.
Outside of that, Uncle Dougie is your 'go to' man for the TDi or TD5. You owe me a beer, Richard.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 12:34 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

That sounds very optimistic. The most I have ever gotten is 28.3MPG (freeway). Stop & go city traffic (with lead foot) is usually around 15-16MPG. Was around 16-18 before I installed the VNT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis View Post
The tdi's get about 25 (lead foot and stage II) to 33 (super gentle) mpg. Not sure what the om617's get but thought I read 22-25....

jb
Old July 2nd, 2013, 12:43 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
There is no way in god's green earth any Defender is getting 33 (US) mpg. 25, maybe 27 tops driving slowly on the highway on stock tires and suspension height.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 01:11 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
There is no way in god's green earth any Defender is getting 33 (US) mpg. 25, maybe 27 tops driving slowly on the highway on stock tires and suspension height.
Max I have gotten was 25, although Pendy said he had couple higher.
MPG seemingly drops signifigantly once you get above the optimum rpm . The difference between 62mph and 70 on mpg is quite a bit with tdi's. Td5's not so much.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old July 2nd, 2013, 01:59 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Max I have gotten was 25, although Pendy said he had couple higher.
MPG seemingly drops signifigantly once you get above the optimum rpm . The difference between 62mph and 70 on mpg is quite a bit with tdi's. Td5's not so much.
I'm pretty certain the main influence from 62 to 70 is the wind resistance. These things are bricks, so the proportion of power loss due to wind resistance over other losses is much higher than a "normal" car. Drag increases with the square of speed. 62 to 70 is 27% more drag. The mileage hit is not quite that high as there are other thing contributing to power loss.

From my experience, I would say you are taking hits on mileage from the engine speed efficiency loss over 2800 rpm. From 2000 to 2800, it would be hard to see a big difference.

Old July 2nd, 2013, 02:04 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
at 2800, I'm doing about 65-70mph in my configuration, and I usually run right around 70. going to be interesting to see what my 1.4 to 1.2 conversion does next month.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old July 2nd, 2013, 02:13 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
at 2800, I'm doing about 65-70mph in my configuration, and I usually run right around 70. going to be interesting to see what my 1.4 to 1.2 conversion does next month.
For me, it just made me drive faster....

Old July 4th, 2013, 12:26 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
The other option of course is the new Ford 3.2 PowerStroke, which is now California and EPA legal....

I don't know anyone who has stuffed it into a defender yet. But you certainly won't have a parts problem.

Old July 4th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
The other option of course is the new Ford 3.2 PowerStroke, which is now California and EPA legal....

I don't know anyone who has stuffed it into a defender yet. But you certainly won't have a parts problem.
I thought Bell auto did it.

Old July 4th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
And Nene Overland sells trucks with the engine: http://www.defendericon.com/land-rov...2-sport-wagon/

Old July 4th, 2013, 01:55 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Bell does the conversion for Nene, who just market it and say it's theirs.

Bell's (BAS) thread of the conversion on his own truck: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic14091.html?

"Big Steve" user on defender2, who does some spannering with BAS i think also did a conversion: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic14433.html?

(the "?" is needed at the end of the link i think)
Old January 4th, 2014, 05:55 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Any updates to the 3.2?

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...iesel-mak.html

Sounds delicious. Probably get up to 240 HP and 400 LB FT with the common mods. And over 20 MPG

Wonder who makes the auto box in that application. I assume its "better" than the Ashcroft ZF for this.

And who's going to be the subject matter expert on this conversion on this side of the pond? I predict this engine will become uber popular here for Defender transplants. I know I'll be in line for a few conversions unless something better comes out in the diesel arena.
Old January 4th, 2014, 06:06 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

So the tranny is a ZF that Ford builds and is behind all there F150s. It handles their 6.2 engine. Guess the question is if it fits...one can be had for $1k!
Old January 4th, 2014, 06:15 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
So the tranny is a ZF that Ford builds and is behind all there F150s. It handles their 6.2 engine. Guess the question is if it fits...one can be had for $1k!
Ford does have an auto box in its ROW ranger equipped with the 3.2 diesel. It's a six speed....now to figure out the model number!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old January 4th, 2014, 08:51 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Bump...for the Yankee diesel gurus...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
diesel