Diesels, if given a choice - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 11th, 2012, 02:43 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

I'll be moving back out to the Puget Sound area and the power to drive over the passes in Washington and Idaho is important. Ill be going over Snoqualmie at least once a month to the ranch in Idaho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2012, 04:54 PM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
I'm leaning towards the 4bd1t over the 300TDI and other options for my restoration next spring. I fond a few kits for the Defender from the UK. The engine itself can be found from multiple sources in Canada and probably also in the USA.
Old December 27th, 2012, 01:28 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
The 4bd1t is a great engine and IMO, the best factory fit diesel in a LR. However, I would not be comfortable with putting LR spec auto box behind a 4bd series engine, because the torque pulse would eat it. The 6bd1t is the big brother and is a Bruiser. I'd love to see one stuffed into a 110/130. While the factory fit bell housing et al. are available from AUS, they are spendy. I would suggest using an MSA-5G mated to an LT230 behind a 4bd1t. Check out the Isuzu section of AULRO and look for Grubs adapter.
Not convinced about the torque eating the auto box. The perentie had the Lt 95a box from the 101 and early RRC. Hardly the best.
The zf4hp box saw duty in many much faster bmw's.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2012, 01:50 AM
grnrvrs
Paul

Ok, get a 4bd1t, adapt any LR spec auto to it and report back. We would love to hear of your success.

Re: LT95a, pure naiveté. The Lt95 and LT95a are both much more agricultural than later transmission, however, the LT95a is designed to cope with the torque and the torque pulse of the 4bd1t.
Old December 27th, 2012, 05:26 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

The differences that made it a LT95a seem to have been pretty minor if this link is correct
http://www.allisons.org/ll/4/LandRover/Perentie/

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old December 27th, 2012, 06:47 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the TD5 requires a specific transmission/bellhousing.
Your right. So does the 200 and 300 tdi, and they are both different.

I have yet to see a Rover V8 spec ZF work for shyte behind any diesel with out spending a bunch of money on the trans / torque converter......basically rebuilding it to a BMW diesel spec for example. Have had more than a few people insist it would be fine and learn the hard and expensive way.

Perhaps someone from Ashcroft can comment?

Back on topic;
300tdi not sure how you can go wrong with this. Simple and can be easily modified for more power and driveability. Straight up easy to install and live with. Only real issues that I see frequently are short life of fuel injectors and the same being permanently frozen in the cylinder head. Early motors had some issues with timing belts and rear main seals, which seems to have become a non issue due to most having bee corrected by now.. Every factory new 300tdi I have installed needed the sump resealed after about 30 hrs run time.

2.8TGV is a modified 300tdi and engineered to be so. I find them a bit more of a challenge to work on (space and ancilliary issues) and have had many in the shop with overheating issues and transmission issues. Not huge issues issues but can be expensive to correct. Also have had several relatively new motors with head gasket failures. Overheat them badly once and the head is often all done

Td5 is an awesome motor. Much more complicated and expensive to install. Has some really nice features such as electronic tunability and much improved drivability (thats a lot of ilitiys eh?)

4Bt is a great motor for those looking for that industrial tractor like quality of a diesel motor. Personally not a big fan of the effective power range, drivability or comfort (vibration and noise).

For the new shop truck 109 / 110 thing I have been seriously considering the Izuzu for the extra bit of grunt as it is used for towing although the reality is a GM Vortec would probably be less money, more power, more efficient and an a whole lot of fun. Also the Vortec is 100% legal in 50 states (just had to throw that out there lol).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old December 27th, 2012, 07:11 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Td5 or 2.8 as a 1st choice, 300 as a second.

Td5 is old enough now (well, certainly in the UK and europe) that you can buy the complete bulkhead/wing wiring looms and fuel pipes pretty cheaply, so it becomes a nut & bolt (and plug & socket) conversion.
Old December 27th, 2012, 07:22 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Jim, please let us in on where you get the harness etc "pretty cheaply"........this has been the killing point for quite a few projects. The last TD5 electronics including the fuel pump and hoses etc was more expensive than the motor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

Old December 27th, 2012, 10:54 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin

Well, just quickly searching UK ebay for example:

Sound proofing off the top of the engine

Complete bulkhead loom £100

Dash pod with warning lights and loom £25

Engine loom... convert a disco engine to defender spec with this (a bit pricey at £79 though

Air box & MAF £30

new fuel pump £69

I also got a lot from Venom4x4
Old December 27th, 2012, 11:42 AM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
The differences that made it a LT95a seem to have been pretty minor if this link is correct
http://www.allisons.org/ll/4/LandRover/Perentie/
Your pretty minor = pretty major improvement in strength. It is a slow shifting agricultural box, but very robust by rover standards.
Old December 27th, 2012, 01:03 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin

Perenties also had 4.7:1 CW&P in the axles, but not series stuff; these were very HD designed for the weight torque.

part # FRC 4029 for the pair.

Old December 27th, 2012, 04:50 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
Thanks. Hows everyday driveability? Sounds like its a bit ruff on power delivery and noise, as funny as that comment is regarding Defenders...
The 4BD1-T is a big clunking NPR Delivery Truck Engine that will easily destroy the stock Rover ZF.

Your best choice is the 4JB1-T. We have one in a 1993 LWB Classic RR and with intercooler, extra fuel, and boost (easy adjustment) gives or exceeds Rover V-8 performance with twice the mileage.

Takes 30 - 45 minutes to change the timing belt and starts at 10 below zero F with NO glow.

Very very reliable and a 200amp alternator is easy to bolt on as well as the Classic RR AC compressor.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old December 28th, 2012, 06:45 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim View Post
Well, just quickly searching UK ebay for example:

also got a lot from Venom4x4
Thanks, got that. I have piles of take off wiring already and between getting junk that is .....well pretty useless and dealing with the rh /lh dash etc........I was hoping someone had come up with the stand alone type harness that I end up building (similar to the conversion harnesses that are widely available here for GM stuff).

Probably should poke my head up out of the sand now and then eh?

Old December 28th, 2012, 06:51 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin

I've not heard of any conversion wiring for the Td5 (unlike the old 2.5 petrol to 200Tdi/300tdi kind of thing)

I suspect because the two engines are so radically different. like has been said; the Tdi will run on one, or no wires, vs the Td5 with a bloomin' great loom.
Old July 1st, 2013, 11:00 AM
jcb-memphis
Jeff B.
None

so which is the better route for diesel nirvana:

300tdi 2.5 with turner performance top, stage II kit (vnt turbo/big intercooler/good clutch)

300tdi opened to 2.8 L via m&d kit, same stage II as above

IH tgv (more unique parts...)

Thanks!

jeff
110 hybrid (from a 90) NAS Defender "Oates" #1597
2002 D2 SE "Very Disco" (sold)
1993 RRC LWB "The Beast" (sold)
Old July 1st, 2013, 11:54 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Different setups are best for certain uses. If your use is 98% highway as it is for most, the last generation td5 engines (2003 and up) are the cats meow. Litterally the last engine designed to go into a land rover, and not a re-purpose like the GM V8, or the Ford and Volvo engines being used now.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old July 1st, 2013, 11:55 AM
jcb-memphis
Jeff B.
None

I want to avoid the wire/ecu issues...the simplicity of the 300tdi is appealing to me.

jb
110 hybrid (from a 90) NAS Defender "Oates" #1597
2002 D2 SE "Very Disco" (sold)
1993 RRC LWB "The Beast" (sold)
Old July 1st, 2013, 12:16 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
you will NOT get the same economy from a 2.8 as a 300 TDI, unless somehow I have been missing something over the last 6 years.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old July 1st, 2013, 02:34 PM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
you will NOT get the same economy from a 2.8 as a 300 TDI, unless somehow I have been missing something over the last 6 years.
I had a 300Tdi in my D1. I installed the uprated 2.8 turbo, and my mileage dropped about 2 mpg.

I'm thinking most of the loss was because the turbo woke up my truck and I was a little heavy on the skinny pedal.
Old July 1st, 2013, 02:36 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I have noticed a slight increase in fuel consumption as well since I installed my VNT on my 300tdi.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
diesel