Diesels, if given a choice - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 8th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
the fuel stop solenoid is a 300 tdi LR original part no on the 2.8, as are many, many other parts. I just replaced my 2.8 water pump with a 300 tdi version. The only difference as an example was the 2.8 impeller is plastic, not metal.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 8th, 2012, 10:59 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Thanks for the great feedback. It is pointing me to a Td5 for my application. To conclude this hypothetical exorcise, say a D-110 with a 300 Tdi is selling for $25,000. What would the same truck be worth with a Td5? The same, +$1000, -$1000, etc. The premium a 300 Tdi can fetch over a 2.5NAD is well discussed, I just haven’t located a comparisons to the Td5.

Doug - thanks for the offer. I'd like to take you up during one of these trail clearing excercises in BFE VA (as Bill would say....).
Old November 8th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Russell I haven't seen a td5 110 offered for sale below 35k.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 8th, 2012, 11:07 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift
Thanks for the great feedback. It is pointing me to a Td5 for my application. To conclude this hypothetical exorcise, say a D-110 with a 300 Tdi is selling for $25,000. What would the same truck be worth with a Td5? The same, +$1000, -$1000, etc. The premium a 300 Tdi can fetch over a 2.5NAD is well discussed, I just haven’t located a comparisons to the Td5.

Doug - thanks for the offer. I'd like to take you up during one of these trail clearing excercises in BFE VA (as Bill would say....).
I think it really depends on the truck. All the normal factors, like condition, rust, mileage, etc. When I think of td5s I think about 2002 or newer when the doors became galv, and the dash was updated. Those items seem to make the price jump.
Old November 8th, 2012, 11:16 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
Russell I haven't seen a td5 110 offered for sale below 35k.

Okay - the baseline D-110 with 300 Tdi is worth $35,000. The exact same truck with a Td5 is worth ___________.
Old November 8th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
okay - the baseline d-110 with 300 tdi is worth $35,000. The exact same truck with a td5 is worth ___________.
$40k+ Assuming interior is the same. Possibly a touch more with newer dash.
Old November 8th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Quote:

200 is the same deal. In my exerience the plunger typically sticks open so not closed so running isn't usually the issue, its shutting it down.

Russell you are welcome to come down and drive a td5 and a 300 and see what you think.

Cheers,
That makes sense, other wise if no juice, the solenoid couldnt be energized to shut down engine.

------ Follow up post added November 8th, 2012 01:03 PM ------

So i guess, by removing solenoid, the engine can run, then inserting soledoid shuts fuel supply off
Old November 9th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
That makes sense, other wise if no juice, the solenoid couldnt be energized to shut down engine.
How they fail and how they operate can be different. They operate by opening when current is applied.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old November 10th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I think it really depends on the truck. All the normal factors, like condition, rust, mileage, etc. When I think of td5s I think about 2002 or newer when the doors became galv, and the dash was updated. Those items seem to make the price jump.
02 door frames are still alum skins over steel. 08 and up are the good ones

Dividing Creek Imports

Old November 10th, 2012, 04:47 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
02 door frames are still alum skins over steel. 08 and up are the good ones
Is that true for the back door too? I thought when the back door got updated all of them did.
Old November 10th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
nope- you are right on the back door frames.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old November 11th, 2012, 10:37 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Im about to go all in and pull the trigger on a diesel, hopefully the 2.8 from M&D or DiscoTech. Now that some of you have been running them for a few years, Id appreciate some feedback on performance, maintenance, issues, conversion process, etc. Id like to keep my ZF ( an uptated ZF from Ashcroft). If someone has one around the Georgia/Alabama/North Florida area, id love to give one a look see. thanks.
Old November 11th, 2012, 10:58 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Sorry about jumping the thread; thought any input would be beneficial to the OP as well.
Old November 11th, 2012, 11:54 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I will be installing the Isuzu engine.. The 4bd1t engine I believe it is.. Supposed to be the best of the best.. Horsepower similar to the v8..( supposedly you can use the same auto trans as a v8 if you want as the rpm and horsepower curve is so close it allows the v8 trans to shift correctly) everyone I have spoke to about it says its awesome... I believe there is also a bigger variant 4bd2t.?? Now but have not researched it yet.. It's a very common transplant in England where there is lottts more defenders and fuel is expensive..turbo response is said to be almost instant at any rev range.. And let's face it..Isuzu have been building Diesel engines for quite some time now..have you looked into the Mercedes diesel conversion..???
Old November 11th, 2012, 12:14 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop
I will be installing the Isuzu engine.. The 4bd1t engine I believe it is.. Supposed to be the best of the best.. Horsepower similar to the v8..( supposedly you can use the same auto trans as a v8 if you want as the rpm and horsepower curve is so close it allows the v8 trans to shift correctly) everyone I have spoke to about it says its awesome... I believe there is also a bigger variant 4bd2t.?? Now but have not researched it yet.. It's a very common transplant in England where there is lottts more defenders and fuel is expensive..turbo response is said to be almost instant at any rev range.. And let's face it..Isuzu have been building Diesel engines for quite some time now..have you looked into the Mercedes diesel conversion..???
Very common as in adaptors and such available or would it be one off? Im going to have to research this.
Old November 11th, 2012, 12:26 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

The 4bd1t is a great engine and IMO, the best factory fit diesel in a LR. However, I would not be comfortable with putting LR spec auto box behind a 4bd series engine, because the torque pulse would eat it. The 6bd1t is the big brother and is a Bruiser. I'd love to see one stuffed into a 110/130. While the factory fit bell housing et al. are available from AUS, they are spendy. I would suggest using an MSA-5G mated to an LT230 behind a 4bd1t. Check out the Isuzu section of AULRO and look for Grubs adapter.
Old November 11th, 2012, 12:50 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs
The 4bd1t is a great engine and IMO, the best factory fit diesel in a LR. However, I would not be comfortable with putting LR spec auto box behind a 4bd series engine, because the torque pulse would eat it. The 6bd1t is the big brother and is a Bruiser. I'd love to see one stuffed into a 110/130. While the factory fit bell housing et al. are available from AUS, they are spendy. I would suggest using an MSA-5G mated to an LT230 behind a 4bd1t. Check out the Isuzu section of AULRO and look for Grubs adapter.
Thanks. Hows everyday driveability? Sounds like its a bit ruff on power delivery and noise, as funny as that comment is regarding Defenders...
Old November 11th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
I have been wanting to suggest the Isuzu engine but didn't want to stir the pot since the OP was talking about 300 vs td5. But since it's out there now...

I have been considering swapping it as well. I have heard great things about it. Here is a link to some brief history. It seems that there is a bit of rover heritage with some of these being fitted into Australian trucks.
http://www.isuzudieselswapper.com/

I saw Robert Davis' Mercedes swap at URE. That also looked to be a nice option. He put a lot of engineering into it to make it all work out.
Old November 11th, 2012, 01:12 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

I love my 4bd1t, power is great. I have all the torque i want, where I want it. At idle it does rattle but smooths out well just over idle. My 110 originally had zero NVH control, compounded by numerous holes in the bulkhead, seat box, c pillars, load bed floor etc. that let in significant ambient noise. When i imported it back in 08 in Tacoma WA, i drove home across WA state. I averaged 28 mpg and cruised over Snoqualimie pass at an easy 75-80 mph. A major component of my rebuild has been the mitigation of unwanted noise. When you step-up from a passenger vehicle diesel (e.g. 200/300/td5) to a truck engine (e.g.Isuzu 4BD series or Cummins 4BT series or larger) you will encounter more power and often times NVH. However, much of the NVH can be mitigated.
Old November 11th, 2012, 02:03 PM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
I averaged 28 mpg and cruised over Snoqualimie pass at an easy 75-80 mph.
Paul, that's amazing. I wish I could do that with my 300. I would choose the 4BD1T if I had to do it over again. Doug will hopefully chime in; he performed a really nice swap into a 2000 Discovery II:

Wish I'd bought that truck. Someone on expo now owns it.

The 4BD1T was originally used in "Perentie" Defender 110s (and 6x6s) by the Australian army, and I think offered as an option on civilian models for a few years. The perentie is a very cool, large monitor lizard endemic to the central arid regions of Australia.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
diesel