diesel trouble: knocking/loss of oil pressure - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 17th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Noah
Noah
95 D90 TDI

diesel trouble: knocking/loss of oil pressure

Dudes! Help me diagnose:
Driving down the road today I suddenly realized the engine was knocking extremely loud and looked down to noticed my oil pressure was running half of what it should be. Pulled over and shut her off. Dipstick still registered oil but was very low (a week ago it was full). Noticed fresh oil around the block but that seems almost normal. Turned her around back towards town, stopped at some farmers place and got a couple extra quarts, continued on but shut her down a few miles down the road after the knocking seemed way too dangerous. EGTs and coolant temps were in the normal range throughout all of this. I AAA it to my friends garage.

Later at garage my friend invites his diesel mechanic friend who rents the garage next door. He looks at it (never seen a LR diesel before) and after feeling it all up (running w/o the valve cover, etc) suggests that it may be a rod bearing. He says it sounds pretty deep; nothing on the outside/simple.

Ideas? Common early failures in the 300? I'm going to drop the oil pan tomorrow and feel around.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2007, 11:28 PM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

Yah that sounds like a rod bearing to me, could also be a loose rod big end cap. I've had that happen to a 2.5na.
Old February 18th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Noah
Noah
95 D90 TDI

This morning I confirmed it: #4 rod bearing had spun. The bearing halves are pretty fucked up but the crank surface is less so.

So what are my options? The guys helping me thought I would have to remove the crank and get it machined. Potentially rebuild the whole engine while it's out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2007, 02:15 AM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

Might as well do the whole engine and see what caused the bearing to fail, like you say the whole thing has to come out now.
Old February 19th, 2007, 03:26 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Sorry to hear that Noah
I would do it all while it is out... it will be cheaper in the long run.

How many miles on your engine? If you do end up finding out the cause please write back and inform us all.

Good luck
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Noah
Noah
95 D90 TDI

About 70k on the engine.

Somebody more knowledgeable than me speculated that since the oil pickup is in the front of the block (and therefore assuming that #4 is the last to get oil) that perhaps on some of these incredibly cold mornings I haven't let it warm up enough or since I don't have a block heater on the thing it was a foregone conclusion. I couple months ago I tried to use one of those magnetic oil pan heaters but the damn thing was worthless.
Old February 19th, 2007, 01:05 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Is the crank scratched up? That would make up my mind. Glad you towed it the last leg. I have some used available if you want easy. I would take it as a core and adjust the price.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old February 19th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Noah
Noah
95 D90 TDI

Yes, the crank is scratched up. It has a couple grooves that you can feel with your fingernail. I'll PM you.
Old February 19th, 2007, 07:26 PM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

At this point a rebuild would make sense as there will not be very many parts that actually need to be replaced. New rings etc. just mean that much longer before you have to pull the engine again. If money is an issue, the crank can be turned (from the sounds of it) and new bearings fitted.
Have you had any previous oil pressure fluctuations? I have seen this happen several times when some one was over enthusiastic with RTV and it clogged up an oil passage.
If you don't rebuild, I would highly recommend changing the oil at about 500 miles to get any remaining metal out of the engine.
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Noah
Noah
95 D90 TDI

I haven't caught any oil pressure flux before this...

Yeah. I don't exactly know what I'm doing when it comes to tearing apart an engine and rebuilding it but I'd like to do as much as possible when I get it out. I'm going to cheap out and send the crank to a machinist, get the bearings from rob and see what else comes up when I finally get it apart.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
diesel