Diesel timing advance question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 6th, 2007, 11:26 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Diesel timing advance question

This is not for a LR engine but it is for a VE style pump on a Turbo diesel. Could someone explain diesel pump timing advance and it's effect on performance? Could it de disconnected if it is an ECU controlled unit on the back of the pump?

Follow-up Post:

Never mind, found some info.
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2007, 10:41 AM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Just out of curiosity, what TDI is this for? Is it for the Dihatsu that you have listed in your sig?
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:29 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Yes it is.
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2007, 08:34 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Would you mind giving some more information about that engine? I'm curious as to what it is and where it came from.

Thanks
Old September 19th, 2007, 09:12 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

The engine comes from a Daihatsu Fourtrak from the UK. Daihatsu calls it the DL-52. It is a 2.8 liter Turbo diesel with an intercooler. Rated at 101 bhp and 180 ft/lbs of torque @ 1900 RPM. The fuel pump is driven by the timing belt and is a Nippon Denso VE style pump. The stock alternator is a 65 amp unit with a vacuum pump on the rear. The wastegated turbo is water cooled and mounted on the upper rear of the drivers side where it fouls the drivers footwell. In the UK it is not an uncommon conversion and they just hack out a bit of the footbox. On a LHD that same footbox is the drivers side which is already cramped and needs a gas pedal of course. Robert Davis is doing the conversion and has built a new exhaust manifold to reposition the turbo up to the front of the motor as well as relocating the oil filter to the other side of the motor. Fingers crossed, it will be ready for MAR.
Old September 24th, 2007, 07:33 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

Related question:

I'm a diesel rookie. I need to go to school.

When I remove my oil bath filter from the intake of my 2.5NA diesel and run RRC/D90 canister style paper filter behind a snorkel, my engine detonates loudly.

Will advancing or retarding the time address this issue.

Obviously there is no metering to adjust the air fuel mix and as the engine is now getting considerably more air (I presume) it's going to need to be tweaked to run under optimal conditions.

Where do I start reading?
Old September 24th, 2007, 09:03 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I can't speak to your problem directly but I can tell you that in my research of engine conversions , the subject of increased engine noise when changing from the orignal equipment air filter housings came up quite often.
Old September 24th, 2007, 10:09 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
Related question:

I'm a diesel rookie. I need to go to school.

When I remove my oil bath filter from the intake of my 2.5NA diesel and run RRC/D90 canister style paper filter behind a snorkel, my engine detonates loudly.

Will advancing or retarding the time address this issue.

Obviously there is no metering to adjust the air fuel mix and as the engine is now getting considerably more air (I presume) it's going to need to be tweaked to run under optimal conditions.

Where do I start reading?
The answer is probably. You might check that it is correctly timed first. 10-11 before TDC is the spec. You can make referance marks and try to adjust it seat of the pants back and forth a bit to suit your needs as well.

If you desire a way to check the timing you might google spill timing a diesel. Or find an old Mercedes Benz manual and read up on how they do it. I often spill time diesel engines to verify factory marks. And checking TDC is correct, is an important step of this.

Good Luck. Let us know what happens.
JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old September 27th, 2007, 05:10 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

Thanks for direction.

I'll post back when I get something accomplished.
Old September 28th, 2007, 07:15 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

[QUOTE=When I remove my oil bath filter from the intake of my 2.5NA diesel and run RRC/D90 canister style paper filter behind a snorkel, my engine detonates loudly.[/QUOTE]
Related answer

The detonation means it is running...........

I ran a vaccum guage on the intake of a 2.5 with both paper and oil bath and found no appreciable difference.
There is allot more intake noise (with paper)and with the 2.5 that amounts to the big rattle.

Why remove the oil bath anyhow?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
diesel