diesel sedimentator cleaning - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 6th, 2010, 03:02 PM
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
Originally Posted by discotdi View Post
firstly I don't have a workshop manual for this car yet.
As I said, they are freely available online. The location and such is shown there and explained in this thread. They look exactly like the drawings.

So you are suggesting that someone here goes out, takes a picture, posts it on the internet instead of you going out and looking for it yourself???

Old October 6th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen
Originally Posted by isleofbones View Post
Hey Tom-
Obviously I don't know too much about the sedimentator, but, I've always heard it referenced on the TDI diesel motors.
It could be ordered for any of the diesel engines.... the MoD have them fitted to all of their 2.5 NAD engines.

Sadly it;s not an option for Td5 though.

Old October 6th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler
I changed my filter the other day and cleaned the sedimentator today, here is a pic of why you should do it, not including the crud I scrapped off the bottom before reassembly. Not bad considering the rusty old tank that is now a shiny new SS one. Had not been cleaned out in 3 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0791.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	31909  
'73 SeriesIII coiler,"The Goat", Daihatsu 2.8TD,Santana,Ashcroft,ARB's,etc., now SOLD
Old October 6th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90
Da thing:
Attached Images
" Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se. "
- Charles Eames
Old October 6th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Todd Miller
Land Rover
Well John, people ask for pictures on here all the time and people post pics of the work they are doing on their trucks. Generally folks on this forum are very helpful with pics and advice, especially to new comers and novice mechanics trying to learn something new.
I don't really find it too helpful to simply tell someone to look in the WS manual. I think most people that ask questions here are just looking for a little help and friendly advice before jumping into something they are not familiar with, granted cleaning a filter is not rocket science.
Randy's truck just blew the timing belt off and he posted up for advice even though he built his truck from scratch! He knows what to do he just wanted a cuddle and a second opinion. How helpful would it be to tell him please refer to WS manual, it's available on the internet with pictures.
I did not expect someone to go out and take pictures just for me, but I figured if someone is cleaning the filter they could snap a phone pic or something, not too bloody hard.
I will go on a quest for this elusive filter armed only with the images from the WS manual, thank you very much.
Old October 10th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Mike Deery
1984 D-90
Thanks to everyone for there advice and helpfulness. My '84 d-90 sedimentator did not look like the one John B. posted via workshop diagram. My sedimentator is shaped more like a bell that you'd ring for service at a hotel desk. It is round and dome shaped. There is a steel bolt through the center with an o ring at the base of the bolt shaft. There is a big o ring(the circumfrence of the entire sedimentator) inside the filter and a large magnet. There was a good amount of sediment in the chamber and some metal particles adhered to the magnet(I am guessing they were from inside my fuel tank). I handled the o rings gently and they seemed supple, so I reused them. Upon reassembly there were no leaks. No need to prime. Just a little sputtering until the fuel refilled the sedimentator. Gumout did wonders with some paper towels to clean everything out. I would be happy to post pics, but, I am a Jurasic kind of guy when it comes to most technology issues.
Thanks Again,

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions