diesel propane injection set-up on a 200tdi 110 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 2nd, 2011, 10:31 PM
Tom Paluska
D110 200TDI
diesel propane injection set-up on a 200tdi 110

Was curious about propane injection so picked up the 2xperformance kit off Ebay. It's up and running though very conservative on the settings thus far. Tank Regulator set to 2psi. This kit kicks in propane when 1. master switch is turned on and 2. Boost pressure is >= 4psi. Propane is injected at a constant pressure/flow rate unlike other kits available. Noticeable power increase at this level. We'll see if this curiosity kills anything... Total install took about 2 hours but this is on a 200 TDI where the turbo sits up in a nice convenient location to work on.

Used a small Ace hardware Tank, mounted behind left rear seat (where inside facing bench seat would be). Interestingly enough, this small tank's lip fits perfectly as it's own bracket - see attached pictures. Used a piece of neoprene underneath tank for snug, non-rattling fit.

Ran the propane tubing through convenient "pre-drilled" hole in the floor of my 110. Not sure what the original purpose was but tubing + rubber stopper fits great and was conveniently located.

Boost pressure sensor "t" installed near where I installed by boost pressure gauge. This switches on when pressure > 4 psi (on my truck it clicks on at about 5-6). This sensor is wired to the solenoid that then opens propane flow to PRE-turbo - see pics.

Regulator at tank + gauge allows you to set propane flow pressure at the tank. Master switch on the dashboard - some self-deprecating humor in mind.

So far my engine has not complained but more testing to follow. If it blows, well, then I guess it's time to start saving for that mercedes diesel replacement...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank1.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	42440   Click image for larger version

Name:	tank+line.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	42441  

Name:	line2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	42442   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsetup.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	42443  

Name:	full install.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	42444   Click image for larger version

Name:	switch2.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	42445  

Old October 3rd, 2011, 02:00 AM
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen
Here in the UK, Allisport do a propane kit (which is in fact, imported from the US!)

IT's very popular in Malaysia on their off roaders, helps power no end with little in the way of negatives. The only one i've heard of, is over use can cause the bores of the cylinders to get "dry" (as in, the gas causes 100% of the fuel AND oil to be burnt... oil that the scraper rings havn't totally cleared that help to lubricate the piston) so you can get excessive bore wear.

However, I think it's Mercedes that offer propane injection on their heavy trucks, so it can't be all bad!

Good thing about it too, is you can crank up the fuelling for more power, but not get the clouds of black smoke, as the propane makes sure all the excess fuel is burnt.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

110, 200tdi, diesel, tdi