diesel intercooler/Radiator-stock or not? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 11th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

diesel intercooler/Radiator-stock or not?

Hi...for the dieselers...
I got my NAS V8 to 300Tdi conversion kit from M&D a couple of days ago and wanted to ask whether or not the stock radiator and intercooler supplied for this engine is adequate for 105 degree heat in a Chicago traffic jam? Having read the various threads on folks wanting to or having upgraded their radiator and/or intercoolers is the interest in upgrading because the stock set up don't work? or are you upgrading due to some other extraordinary requirements?
thanks
George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2006, 09:11 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

My 300tdi has never had any overheating issues with the stock setup in 110-115F in death valley. a bigger intercooler means cooler air and more power from the turbo. I could see no reason to change the radiator unless there was a problem with the stock one.
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:14 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

George - I don't know if you're aware of this or not, but diesels produce very little heat while they're idling. As they produce more power, they generate more heat. The worst situation is climbing long grades. If you have an EGT gauge, you can visualize this happening. So if your main concern is idling in traffic, I would say the stock radiator is adequate. But if you plan on traveling through mountains and/or tweaking the engine for more performance, then you may find that you need more cooling. BTW, if you haven't already, get an EGT gauge as they are indispensable for knowing what's going on with your diesel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2006, 10:16 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I have the stock setup and no problems. The reason to upgrade is if you turn up the fuel for more power. Then your EGT's go up so you need a bigger exhaust to compensate.

Yes, diesels are cool at idle. I'll do 350F in stop and go but once I hit a good hill I can get it to 1000F.
Old May 11th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Thanks!

That's great info...did not know that!
George
Old May 12th, 2006, 09:17 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
George, Mine runs at 185deg while driving under load no matter what the outside temp is with the stock setup. When you slow down or are at a stop light, you see the temp of the engine go right down. I do highly recommend you get rid of your stock temp gauge that is not acurate at all. When I did my conversion, my stock gauge read on the warm side and it was way off.... I installed a VDO Vision series gauge and matching sender. IT is right on the money and has actual temp #'s on it. Not just a H and a C.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
diesel, radiator