Diesel Ignition switch with glow plug - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 17th, 2009, 10:32 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Diesel Ignition switch with glow plug

I just wired up my new ignition switch. It has 4 key positions

off

I- accessories come on

II- one of the spades on the back becomes powered, but only when you hold it in position

III-starter engages

when released it goes back to position I.

If I have it hooked up right, I assume that hot connection in position number II should go to the glow plug timer, thus holding in position 2 will send the current to the glow plug timer.
Is this correct, or did I somehow hook it up wrong?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 17th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

If I am not mistaking in this setup you do not have a timer but just a relay meaning you are the timer.

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old October 17th, 2009, 11:09 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Yeah, I'm strongly considering just using a push-button for my glow plugs when I re-wire... the fewer relays/timers in there the better. I think the timer is actually part of the glowplug harness though, looks like a big relay, at least this is what I recall the docs saying for 300TDI (I have a 200) but I have been reading the new manual cover to cover waiting for parts to arrive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 17th, 2009, 11:22 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Momentary switch from NAPA for about 7 bucks and a Ford starter solenoid, cheapest most reliable glow plug circuit possible. Timer is between your ears.
Old October 18th, 2009, 06:39 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh
the fewer relays/timers in there the better.
Why? They hardly ever go wrong, and all the thousands.. maybe millions of diesel powered euro cars in the world that have auto timers can't be wrong (apart from the French)

(and maybe the Italians... )
Old October 18th, 2009, 10:17 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Just a few more questions.
Do I have to hold the key on position 2, or can I turn to 2 and let it go?
Does current just activate the timer which will turn itself off?
I do have the glow plug timer.

Second question is, why do many diagrams call for the glow plug timer to be tied into the wire that kicks the starter on?
That's seems like it would be after the fact.
Old October 18th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

I think there are like 5 wires to the 300tdi glow plug solenoid/timer setup (I used one for my 200tdi in the ltwt and one for my D90 300tdi). If memory serves, one wire is 12v positive from battery, one is ground, one is ignition, one to the glow plugs and one to the glow plug indicator lamp on dash. All-in-all fairly simple.
Old October 18th, 2009, 11:00 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Tom,

Not sure this will answer any of your questions but here is how my 1984 2.5 NAD glow plugs work.

When you turn the key to position 2 and hold it there the glow plug light will come on, I hold it there for about 25 seconds then start the 90 by moving the switch to the 3rd position.

As far as I know this is the stock setup as my 90 has had no modifications from stock that I can tell.

---------------Not trying to hijack Toms thread just a related question--------------------------

My question is can I keep my stock 2.5 NAD glow plug wiring setup when I install my 200tdi?

All of the swaps I have seen talk about adding a glow plug timer and harness as part of the install. I am fine with holding the key in position 2 for X amount of seconds and would prefer to use the stock 2.5 NAD glow plug setup as the D90 glow plug harness is no longer available.
Old October 18th, 2009, 11:24 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

25 seconds is an awful lot of glow, I never hold the button for more than 10 seconds in the middle of winter unless it is down around zero.
Old October 18th, 2009, 11:35 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim
Why? They hardly ever go wrong, and all the thousands.. maybe millions of diesel powered euro cars in the world that have auto timers can't be wrong (apart from the French)

Mostly an exercise in overall simplicity, how simple can I make things while not losing any real-world usability. Working in hightech makes you really crave things that "just work". I was thinking even just a high current momentary switch

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old October 18th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas
Tom,

Not sure this will answer any of your questions but here is how my 1984 2.5 NAD glow plugs work.

When you turn the key to position 2 and hold it there the glow plug light will come on, I hold it there for about 25 seconds then start the 90 by moving the switch to the 3rd position.

As far as I know this is the stock setup as my 90 has had no modifications from stock that I can tell.

---------------Not trying to hijack Toms thread just a related question--------------------------

My question is can I keep my stock 2.5 NAD glow plug wiring setup when I install my 200tdi?

All of the swaps I have seen talk about adding a glow plug timer and harness as part of the install. I am fine with holding the key in position 2 for X amount of seconds and would prefer to use the stock 2.5 NAD glow plug setup as the D90 glow plug harness is no longer available.
The NAD had no timer for the glow plugs, relays started appearing with the 200 Tdi and if I am not mistaking are the same for the 300 Tdi.Timers are stupid proof that is why I like them. Some NAD wiring have the provision already in there for the relay wiring to connect and some don't. The 200 Tdi will work just fine with the NAD setup. It is more a question of operational preferences than anything else.

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old October 18th, 2009, 12:31 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
I got a brand new 5 pin switch from Safari Rover so I didn't think it was meant for a NAD diesel, but that does sound like what I have.
My ? is whether I have to hold the key in Position 2, or will current activate the timer until it shuts off automatically?

I also assumed that it would work with the Glow Plug timer, which may not be the case.

I have searched all over the place, but have gotten confused by Disco, Exmod, NAD and other wiring diagrams.
Old October 18th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim

New to rovers huh?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:49 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY
25 seconds is an awful lot of glow
I am just using the directions that came with my 90 on how to start it.

How long do they stay on with the factory timer?
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:20 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY
25 seconds is an awful lot of glow, I never hold the button for more than 10 seconds in the middle of winter unless it is down around zero.
While the 2.5NA was in my 110, I would have to give it 25 - 30 seconds of glow to get it started in the winter when it was well below freezing. They are older engines and need the help. Above freezing and about 10 - 15 seconds would do it.

Brett
Old October 21st, 2009, 12:50 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
I finally got this sorted. (I think)
I think what I have is the switch that is meant to be held at position 2 like a manual setup,
working with a glow plug timer.
When I turn to position 2 it clicks and I let it go. 7-10seconds later I hear another click.
It seemed to start better this morning, but it wasn't very cold.

When I start the truck after the second click I assume I'm setting off the timer again, because I go past position 2 again. My only question is if this is a problem?
Thanks for all the input.
Old October 21st, 2009, 02:37 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

does your glow plug light come on? I am guessing you have not added the bulb and wires?

see the following links for info on the glow plug wiring

http://www.nicksjungle.co.uk/200%20T...onversion.html

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ghlight=STC934

You could also check with a test light or volt meter if the glow plugs are getting 12V the 2nd time you are powering it on, my guess would be yes but I do not know that for sure.
Old December 30th, 2011, 09:18 PM
323jamie
jamie
83 D110 RHD 300tdi Disco conversion

Registry
goody goody I needed to know these things my wire is missing on my 300tdi to the glow plugs and my glow light is or might not have one because of a previous engine mod.
Old December 31st, 2011, 02:31 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
200 & 300 tdi's don't need the glow plugs unless it's very cold, -5c.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
diesel, switch