diesel exhaust tuning - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 13th, 2014, 08:21 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
diesel exhaust tuning

Can too small of an exhaust cause lower performance and temp increases in the engine? I know nothing of diesel tuning or exhaust anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2014, 08:29 PM
Iamkraig
Kraig
1987 defender 110

Registry
Absolutely. Free flowing exhaust is paramount to diesel engine health and performance.

Let her breathe.
Old June 13th, 2014, 08:30 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
Can too small of an exhaust cause lower performance and temp increases in the engine? I know nothing of diesel tuning or exhaust anything.
Especially on a damn Rover. Some of the most restrictive exhausts ever made....

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2014, 08:40 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Yeah. I randomly had a piece of the mid section fall off mine the other day. Took it to the only place I trust in rinky dink Columbus, Midas. The owner is awesome and he built me a new exhaust and was able to do it from the manifold. It is 2.5 inches the entire way now. It used to be a hodge podge of the old V8 exhaust and who knows what that was around and what was left over from the RRC the engine conversion came from. It sounds good and honestly the truck felt like it had slightly more power and I'm convinced the temp needle was slightly lower. I'm going to drive it at the hottest point of the day tomorrow to see.

I really know nothing about performance anything and am probably doing myself a disservice. I think part of the old exhaust was probably 1 7/8" at some points. Big difference.
Old June 13th, 2014, 09:44 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
It must be true then.
Around my neck o' the woods, all the high-school boys with pickups have two 6" stacks straight up outta the beds of their diesels!

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old June 14th, 2014, 12:54 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
The definition of "too small" depends on the maximum horsepower output.

Rover I4 diesels make less horsepower than a honda fit and you know how small those exhausts are. Anyone who has tried to increase their Honda Fit's horsepower with a larger exhaust knows how futile that is.
Old June 14th, 2014, 08:40 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Yeah yeah. It's a 3.5 liter diesel engine, though. 135 hp supposedly. I like calling the Fit the Fist.
Old June 14th, 2014, 08:48 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Mandrel bends make all the difference
Old June 14th, 2014, 08:54 AM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

2.5 to 3.0 inch with mandrel bends would be great to let that diesel breathe. I've got a 3.9 turbo diesel with 3 inch open exhaust all the way back. The turbo takes most of the noise out of it.
Old June 14th, 2014, 09:15 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
The definition of "too small" depends on the maximum horsepower output.

Rover I4 diesels make less horsepower than a honda fit and you know how small those exhausts are. Anyone who has tried to increase their Honda Fit's horsepower with a larger exhaust knows how futile that is.
Has more to do with engine design and type than bhp output. Some gasoline engines run better with back pressure from the exhaust where no diesels do, power is lost pushing gasses through.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old June 14th, 2014, 09:29 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
I'd have to get different exhaust manifold which is beyond the scope of reasonable modifications for this truck. It was 2.5 inch off the back end of the manifold so he was able to keep it at that the entire length and tucked away just like before.

I honestly hadn't put much thought into it since the exhaust on the original conversion was not anything huge. And like I said I know nothing about anything when it comes to tuning. I can turn wrenches and hit parts with hammers until they work.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
diesel, exhaust