Diesel Exhaust Stack? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 18th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
[QUOTE
Come on Ray Ray, stacks will make my truck look badazz. Throw on a big combat action ribbon sticker too.[/QUOTE]

Screw the sticker, if you're going to do that just paint it on the rear tailgate. Both the sticker and the stack say the same thing, BTW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 18th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You guys have to remember that I am asking about how the stack affects the Tdi exhaust, not how it looks. The exhaust would look exactly like a snorkel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old December 18th, 2011, 08:34 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I am eagerly waiting for chapmans response
If he gave me sh*t for my winch mounting plate, he better be all over this.

I too think it will be odd, and you should not have the exhaust ahead of the passenger compartment. Thats just silly for many reasons

If your running without a muffler now, it wont make any difference from your current set up in terms of performance.

I think you touched on this already, but as long as the engine is running, there is no need to worry about having it above water. Even if the engine dies as long as your exhaust manifold is above the water level your ok. That being said, you'd have to be pretty damn deep Even midway up the door isn't as high as where the exhuast manifold connects to the head. If the exhaust manifold is below water then water may go into the cylinders, but that would take awhile as the only way water would displace air is what leaks through the piston rings (your never going to have an engine at rest with an intake AND exhuast valve open at the same time, so the rate at which water could travel back up the exhaust and displace the air is rather slow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 18th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

My snorkel does get in the way if the trail is woody. I would think that if you took it under the truck behind the seat box and ran it up it might work pretty good. The length would be about the same as stock but may put a small amount of back-pressure but you wouldn't have the bends so maybe not. Would keep the cab warm in the winter.
Old December 18th, 2011, 10:10 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC22958 View Post
My snorkel does get in the way if the trail is woody. I would think that if you took it under the truck behind the seat box and ran it up it might work pretty good. The length would be about the same as stock but may put a small amount of back-pressure but you wouldn't have the bends so maybe not. Would keep the cab warm in the winter.

Putting an exhaust inside the passenger compartment is ludacris. I hope i read that wrong and its not what your suggesting
Old December 19th, 2011, 08:00 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Camel Trophy trucks didnt have smoke stacks
Old December 19th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
It's just an idea guys. My biggest hurdle is trying to figure a way to still get fresh air in to the truck through the heater since the exhaust would be taking that spot. The soundness of the idea is starting to crumble....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old December 19th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
It's just an idea guys. My biggest hurdle is trying to figure a way to still get fresh air in to the truck through the heater since the exhaust would be taking that spot. The soundness of the idea is starting to crumble....

If you simply remove the plastic tube that goes from the front of the heater to the wingtop the heater will pull air from the engine compartment like many other cars. That would allow your exhaust stack to exit through the fender.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 19th, 2011, 09:33 AM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Quote:
No No, don't give up. I've also been thinking about doing something similar on the 109 and have been accumulating parts to do so. But then my truck already looks like hell.

As for your initial question, with a diesel the less back pressure the better. So, I think it would be performance improvement if you can reduce the number of bends and total lenght. If you can go up a size in tubing diameter even better. I'm actually thinking of coming straight up through the hood.
Old December 19th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by slorocco View Post
No No, don't give up. I've also been thinking about doing something similar on the 109 and have been accumulating parts to do so. But then my truck already looks like hell.

As for your initial question, with a diesel the less back pressure the better. So, I think it would be performance improvement if you can reduce the number of bends and total lenght. If you can go up a size in tubing diameter even better. I'm actually thinking of coming straight up through the hood.
Glad to hear I am not the only crazy one!

Semper Fi!
Old December 19th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Why not cut a hole in the bonnet and have it go straight up like on a backhoe or farm tractor ?
Old December 19th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Why not cut a hole in the bonnet and have it go straight up like on a backhoe or farm tractor ?
I'm not going to tractor pulls. I'm trying to find a way to do it tastefully!

Semper Fi!
Old December 19th, 2011, 11:42 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
I'm not going to tractor pulls. I'm trying to find a way to do it tastefully!
Perhaps the first pic will provide some inspiration, or the following two....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PatientlyWaiting.jpg
Views:	911
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	45108   Click image for larger version

Name:	131_0901_03_z%20cheap_4x4_truck_building%20custom_snorkel.jpg
Views:	1230
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	45109  

Name:	BAD_Cadillac-redneck-exhaust.jpg
Views:	1407
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	45110  
Old December 19th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

I love stacks

http://youtu.be/SvM6jBn0ZMc?t=59s
Old December 19th, 2011, 02:04 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Here you go
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DEFENDER110SNORKELPIC.jpg
Views:	1711
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	45111  
Old December 19th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Here you go
WTF is that thing? These people have no eye for design.

If I do move forward and try this, the stack will look exactly like my Mantec snorkel, minus the mushroo top.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0021.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	45112   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0024.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	45113  

Semper Fi!
Old December 19th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I've thought about an exhaust extention, but one that would simply clamp on as needed at the oem end, and run up the rear supported by quick releases added to the rear ladder. when not used could be removed and stored on rack or left at home. would think it would be cheap and easy too, using a quick clamp and a single piece of exhaust expanded on bottom and a short cut to flex, and then a short 90 deg bend and ideally the exhaust flap on top.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old December 19th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
I've thought about an exhaust extention, but one that would simply clamp on as needed at the oem end, and run up the rear supported by quick releases added to the rear ladder. when not used could be removed and stored on rack or left at home. would think it would be cheap and easy too, using a quick clamp and a single piece of exhaust expanded on bottom and a short cut to flex, and then a short 90 deg bend and ideally the exhaust flap on top.
i think that WWII jeeps did this same sort of thing with the "wading" kit
Old December 19th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplm00

i think that WWII jeeps did this same sort of thing with the "wading" kit
They did, and same thing with the M38, M38A1, M151, and now the HMMWV.

Semper Fi!
Old December 19th, 2011, 05:19 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I don't think breathing in engine fumes and risking burning anyone who casually decides to touch your "other snorkel" is worth it. I'd go with the goofy clamp on wading extension of you really want this.

But I say just don't stall when under water! Talk to Justin - I'm assuming a diesel can survive without hydro locking just as well as any of the poor V8s he's owned. If you stall, then leave it off, and pull plugs etc when back on dry land.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, diesel, exhaust