Diesel Engine Battery Set Up - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 29th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I think it deoends on intended usage. if you are camping in the American desert or Oz outback for a week @ a time and want a starting and house battery then two makes sense. If you are thinking a two battery setup just for normal day to day use, I think that makes little to no sense. In my 130 I run a single Deka AGM battery, the biggest I could get in and out.
Ford super duty diesels use two but this is due to the incredible amp pull that the 8 huge glow plugs use. For a Rover diesel 1/3 the size a single good battery is more than adequate. If you envision needing lots of cranking power I'd look to fix why instead of adding more cranking capacity. Ie if your truck is hard to start it shouldn't be so fix that issue instead.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2015, 10:14 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I have three Lr's all with Optima's (and Goodyear MTR's 55k on one set) 12 vehicles all together with Optima's...The expedition trailer has 4 Optima's. So...99 problems and the battery ain't one...
Old March 29th, 2015, 10:20 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
I have three Lr's all with Optima's (and Goodyear MTR's 55k on one set) 12 vehicles all together with Optima's...The expedition trailer has 4 Optima's. So...99 problems and the battery ain't one...
Consider yourself luck. I definitely replaced more than 12 Optima batteries at the dealership. My statement about Goodyear tires wasn't meant to be about their off road tires. I was more referring to the tires that came on Land Rovers from the factory.
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2015, 10:24 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I think it deoends on intended usage. if you are camping in the American desert or Oz outback for a week @ a time and want a starting and house battery then two makes sense. If you are thinking a two battery setup just for normal day to day use, I think that makes little to no sense. In my 130 I run a single Deka AGM battery, the biggest I could get in and out.
Ford super duty diesels use two but this is due to the incredible amp pull that the 8 huge glow plugs use. For a Rover diesel 1/3 the size a single good battery is more than adequate. If you envision needing lots of cranking power I'd look to fix why instead of adding more cranking capacity. Ie if your truck is hard to start it shouldn't be so fix that issue instead.
Yeah. I should have said my absurd optima is for the retarded 190 amp draw from the cold start air heater on the mazda diesel engine. 200tdi back in England I used the standard halfords battery and never had an issue starting even in cold in scotland.
Old March 29th, 2015, 10:46 AM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

I have two northstar batteries hooked up with a hell roaring technologies combiner/isolator, been in the 90 for a year and no problems at all.

edit: its a 300tdi
Old March 29th, 2015, 01:34 PM
Ncrover725
Bobby
1985 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
The truck starts great. I use the 110 for family camping and have three USB ports installed in the middle row for the kids accessories during the drive to the camping area. While out I do not have a fridge or any devices other than a rear work lamp at the moment. I am not looking for cranking power but more so reliability in the ability to crank. What I am taking from all your info is 1) TDI regardless of temp is good to go with a well charged single battery 2) If I am running any devices (fridge, lots of winch use, electronics) then a dual battery set up with an isolator is my best bet. I am thinking of just staying with a single battery until a true requirement is there for two.
1998 D1 (Sold)
1971 109 3 Door (Sold)
Old March 29th, 2015, 03:03 PM
scrubs
henery

That relay split system up is pretty slick with a on board monitor, seen one in use and they loved it using everything from fridge to laptops n what ever else.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
battery, diesel, engine