Diesel conversions install new fuel filter - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 10th, 2011, 06:07 PM
kjva
Ken Jackson
1985 110 Wagon

Diesel conversions install new fuel filter

Doug mentioned this very important point on the blown turbo post but thought I would give it it's own thread. If you are doing or have bought a Rover with a diesel conversion be sure to check you have a good fuel filter fitted as well. They are easy to mount in the bulkhead and are cheap . The filters on most petrol engines are not up to the job. A very small investment compared to the cost of a recon injection pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

I heart my Racors

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old November 10th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The Stanadyne FM-100 mounts in the stock location with zero mods and takes a variety of filters down to 2 microns. More filtration increases injector nozzle life substantially.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist View Post
I heart my Racors
x2! Pendy installed two Racors in mine: prefilter and primary. They last a long, long time!

I believe Pendy uses Racors almost exclusively, which means the are "Pendy Good".
Old November 11th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Any particular favor model that is a nice fit? Something with a clear bowl and water seperator would be nice
Old November 11th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I run double 30 micron racors on the boat and then 3 micron spin ons up on the engine. I have gauges that tell me how clogged the filters are so I can determine when to change them-unfortunately they are under deck. Once 60 miles off shore of Cape May Nj on a particularly snotty day I had an engine die. Ran down from the bridge picked up the deck and the gauge on one of the racors was in the red. Try swapping out a 18 inch long filter element while laying on your belly as a boat pitches wildly. Swapped the elements and then had to top it off with clean diesel so the engine would fire. Putting the lid back on and getting the o ring just right was great fun.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 11th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplm00 View Post
Any particular favor model that is a nice fit? Something with a clear bowl and water separator would be nice
Not sure about the Racors, but the Standadynes come with whatever options you like such as glass bowls, heaters, pumps.... Like I said the FM-100 mount bolts straight onto the stock location. There are no o-rings or seals to fiddle with. Filter elements change with no tools. I do not see much call for a pre filter unless you normally run across bad fuel and you are changing filters a lot. A spare fuel filter is something everyone should always carry.

Heads: http://www.thedieselstore.com/templa...0Filter%20Head
Filters, I use a 6" 2 micron one: http://www.thedieselstore.com/templa...FM100%20Filter
Optional parts: http://www.thedieselstore.com/templa...20Module%20Kit
Old November 11th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
racors have all those features too, bit no orings or seals may tip hat to stanadyne.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old November 11th, 2011, 04:42 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

The racor prefilter is important IMO. Clear plastic bottom to track any ingress of water from the fuel station before it wreaks to much havoc. And a good place to help drain it. The mighty priming pump of the racor is a godsend during mantainence as well. The O-rings are a necessary evil to have a sight glass available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Not sure about the Racors, but the Standadynes come with whatever options you like such as glass bowls, heaters, pumps.... Like I said the FM-100 mount bolts straight onto the stock location. There are no o-rings or seals to fiddle with. Filter elements change with no tools. I do not see much call for a pre filter unless you normally run across bad fuel and you are changing filters a lot. A spare fuel filter is something everyone should always carry.

Heads: http://www.thedieselstore.com/templa...0Filter%20Head
Filters, I use a 6" 2 micron one: http://www.thedieselstore.com/templa...FM100%20Filter
Optional parts: http://www.thedieselstore.com/templa...20Module%20Kit

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old November 11th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The Stanadynes can have clear bowls and priming pumps as well as I pointed out. All seals are integral with the replaceable elements so they change with the filters making maintenance very easy and foolproof.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
conversion, diesel, fuel