Diesel conversion or replace the 4.6? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 7th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Joshua: I better not say something like, 10% is on the high side, because we still have a Disco V8 that is running fine and don't want to jinx it. It is however slated for a 300TDI diesel conversion.

Our machine shop just completed 3 prototype adapters that allow the 300TDI to bolt directly to the Rover V8 transmission pattern. I want to make the custom mounts for the 300TDI with this adapter that will bolt directly to the Disco V8 frame mounts and use the big hydraulic filled Mercedes motor mounts to allow an easy low vibration swap from a V8 to a 300TDI, but won't get to this until this summer at the earliest as this is one of many many projects on the list.
Sounds good!
Better that sounds great!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I agree with Jimmy-rover v8.

While a NAS 90 isn't really a true collectible since there were thousands of them, the 110's are.

I have a heavy "tuned" 300 tdi 130 on 12.5x35's and it will run down the interstate @ 75mph but
its working hard and downshifts on grades are frequent due to the 2.5 liter displacement. Tdi's make decent power once tuned, and can be really fun once modified, but many are dogs in their stock tune. Stick with another 4.6. Atlantic British sells a short block or long block ready to go for reasonable money.
Yeah, and since I swapped to a 2.8 (as I'm no purist) that's one less of the 500 in original form, so I'm helping you out!

That said, the Rover V8 can kiss my ass. I just did some Pendy-approved tweaks to my 2.8 and now my 110 hauls ass. I hit 80 (easily I might say) last week on the highway and have a bit extra when I want to pour it on. For years had no idea my engine had it in it. But like everyone said, if you need total off the hook unbridaled power, then V8 is the way to go..til it breaks.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old February 7th, 2014, 12:59 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Joshua: I better not say something like, 10% is on the high side, because we still have a Disco V8 that is running fine and don't want to jinx it. It is however slated for a 300TDI diesel conversion.

Our machine shop just completed 3 prototype adapters that allow the 300TDI to bolt directly to the Rover V8 transmission pattern. I want to make the custom mounts for the 300TDI with this adapter that will bolt directly to the Disco V8 frame mounts and use the big hydraulic filled Mercedes motor mounts to allow an easy low vibration swap from a V8 to a 300TDI, but won't get to this until this summer at the earliest as this is one of many many projects on the list.
I want these hydraulic mounts for the 300 TDI before a lot of other mods... I mean I might have to fab them up myself!

JT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quote:
Mercedes motor mounts to allow an easy low vibration swap from a V8 to a 300TDI, but won't get to this until this summer at the earliest as this is one of many many projects on the list.
Another source for these hydo-mounts are from the 2005 & 6 Jeep Liberty CRD (MB design). Though they show L&R part numbers, they are the same except R one has a removable heat shield. Engine size is comparable as the jeep is a 2.8L. Cost is about $30 each.
Old February 7th, 2014, 01:45 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
good info!
Old February 7th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Since its an NAS 110, I would definitely keep the Rover V8. I'm no purist, but I think putting some other non Rover motor in it would devalue it in I'm opinion.
Something about me has always wanted to drop a 4.2L S/C or better yet, 5.0L V8 in either form into a Defender...510hp 461ft.lb
Old February 7th, 2014, 02:02 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-07-VW-TOU...11268677362%26

I mean, 320HP 550LBs of torque while returning mid 20s at highway speeds... what is not to like?
Old February 7th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Fred Lobster
Pete Gerbine, III
1993 110 (#451)

Registry
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...3&goto=newpost

Then something like this pops up....
Old February 7th, 2014, 04:51 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
i would stick with the v8 personally.
x2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 7th, 2014, 04:57 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede View Post
Something about me has always wanted to drop a 4.2L S/C or better yet, 5.0L V8 in either form into a Defender...510hp 461ft.lb

A 5.0L supercharged would be awesome and I would totally support someone doing that to an NAS 110. I would not support a Chevy motor swap in anything.
Old February 7th, 2014, 05:04 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Lobster View Post
Has anyone gone from a 4.6 V8 to a 200/300tdi...or the other way around? Regrets? Praises? Advice?
Some other things to think about:

Do you have an LT77 or an R380? Have you factored in the cost of the replacement transmission (or modified transmission) that you will need?

You will need to make frame modifications to fit the new engine.

Are you going to be ok with the current ratio in your tcase with the 200/300tdi?
Old February 7th, 2014, 05:26 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I give it two years until this thread turned into a ford 3.2 diesel six speed stick box love fest.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 7th, 2014, 05:57 PM
Fred Lobster
Pete Gerbine, III
1993 110 (#451)

Registry
Thanks for all of the input, guys... Looks like I'm about to just pull the trigger on the 4.6. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old February 7th, 2014, 11:36 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Since its an NAS 110, I would definitely keep the Rover V8. I'm no purist, but I think putting some other non Rover motor in it would devalue it in I'm opinion.
Yeah, keep it pure.

As pure as the Buick Skylark (I mean Rover) V8 is...

Go LS and don't look back.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, conversion, diesel