Diesel Air Heater Options? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 9th, 2010, 10:16 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Diesel Air Heater Options?

Has anyone done the research on what diesel-fired supplemental air heaters will fit into the seatbox below the passenger seat? With the 200TDI things really don't warm up unless traveling at about 50kph or higher (at -10C) and supplemental heat will be needed for sure at anything lower than -10C. I also plan on doing winter expedition trips and having a heater that can run overnight to keep things warm would be a big plus, especially in the event of getting stuck somewhere frigid.

Ideally I'd like to find something 2nd hand and cheaper than the $1200 that most of them seem to go for new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2010, 10:25 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

a Webasto or a Eberspacher will work just fine. Search Ebay you will find one. You might want to add a second battery if you plan to run it over night so you dont find yourself without enough cranking amps to fire up in the morning.

there are a lot of use options on ebay. My webasto thermo top is very good. I use it almost every morning in the winter...
Old December 9th, 2010, 10:26 PM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

zz`

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh View Post
Has anyone done the research on what diesel-fired supplemental air heaters will fit into the seatbox below the passenger seat? With the 200TDI things really don't warm up unless traveling at about 50kph or higher (at -10C) and supplemental heat will be needed for sure at anything lower than -10C. I also plan on doing winter expedition trips and having a heater that can run overnight to keep things warm would be a big plus, especially in the event of getting stuck somewhere frigid.

Ideally I'd like to find something 2nd hand and cheaper than the $1200 that most of them seem to go for new.
I picked up a used Espar heater a few years back. I would have to root around in the barn a bit to tell you the model number. I have a hybrid RR/90 (more 90 than anything else) with the 200 Tdi. It's RHD with fuel tank under the driver and battery under the passenger. I haven't yet figured out where to put it, so I'm still driving around cold. I've thought about building a metal box under the cubby to raise it up ~6", but I'm not sold on that idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 10th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Wabasto air top 2000 is what you want. I'll add one down the road but for now, the Thermotop is all I need to keep me cozy as parking and supplemental heat. So far, my z model takes about 45min-1 HR to warm up my cabin from 15F to cozy each morning.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
diesel, heater