diesel - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 30th, 2005, 06:25 PM
TexasD-90
Martin Spencer
1994 D-90

diesel

I am now thinking of buying a D-90 with a bad engine and putting the diesel engine in it. Can someone help by letting me know how much the engine costs and how easy/hard they are to find? Also, will it work with the existing R380 transmision?

Thanks
Advertisement

Old October 30th, 2005, 06:37 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The motors arent terribly difficult to find, but they tend to not be dirt cheap. I'll let all the other threads on the topic speak for themselves WRT sourcing and installing the motor.

RE: the r380 - the V8 trans is the same as for the diesel with one key exception - the input shaft is longer for the diesel application. I've seen them used but it changes the relative location of the motor mounts to the crossmember and requires fabircation and/or custom length driveshafts. Seems like a slippery slope to me.
Old October 30th, 2005, 07:09 PM
dnewman9
Dennis Newman
*SOLD*Conniston 97 NAS 90

Does anyone know a current rough estimate on the cost of a 300 tdi and transmission shipped into the US? Assuming used assembly with reasonable miles?
Thanks
Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 30th, 2005, 08:22 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
A new kit is about $8500 shipped with everything I think.
Old October 30th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Used are $5000-$7000 for the whole lot (t-case, trans). But, sometimes hard to find.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 30th, 2005, 09:17 PM
TexasD-90
Martin Spencer
1994 D-90

thank you

where do I look for a used unit?
Old October 30th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I got mine from Rovers Down South. But I don't know if he has recovered from the blow job last month.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 30th, 2005, 09:35 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I paid 7500 for my motor (new crate motor fully dressed incl flywheel and ancillaries and already stateside) more than a year ago, and then bought new tcase and trans from RDS. I spent extra to back-date the wiring harness to a non-egr type and then more yet for all the little bits. I couldnt find a retrofit kit (the type that RN used to sell) at the time, though there are still some that come up for sale from time to time.

There are 2 on ebay right now and I think craddock is selling at least one of them.

I know it sounds sacreligious, but I think a d-90 half-cut might be a pretty good way to go.
Old November 1st, 2005, 09:37 AM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

The International HS2.8L is an option too. I just picked up a kit for a Discovery ZF Auto from M&D(mdengineering.co.uk) in the UK. The existing transmission and motor mounts are used.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
diesel