Did I strip my Transfer case drain plug? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 28th, 2011, 04:40 PM
J. Andrew
J. Andrew
95 D90 NAS SW #384

Did I strip my Transfer case drain plug?

So undergoing changing all my gear oil over to royal purple on saturday, and saved the transfercase for last. I had drained, cleaned, filled, and refitted the drain plug hand tight, and then got out the torque wrench set to 23 lb-ft. Tightening, went to first click, released, eased into it more gently, and it just kept turning. I couldn't imagine that I'd given it enough torque to strip it. My only thought is that because I didn't replace the copper crush washer that maybe that's as far in as it'll go?

It's still well above finger tight, but not 23 lb-ft, and the royal purple should allow me to see any leaking (which I don't yet...)

Thoughts? Help!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2011, 04:45 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

If it's not leaking don't worry about it.
Old March 29th, 2011, 03:29 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

If you did strip it you can fix it with a thread insert next time you change the oil.

I've never used a torque wrench on a drain plug of any kind in about 35 years of getting greasy. Just snug 'em up, and remember you have to take it out next time so if it's too tight you'll be cussing at yourself.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Andrew View Post
Tightening, went to first click, released, eased into it more gently, and it just kept turning.
Could you explain this procedure to me? Aren't you supposed to stop at the first click? I have never used a torque wrench on a drain plug either.

That said, when I first changed the oil on my tdi I noticed the drain plug was leaking. I went to tighten it and it just kept turning. I ended up fixing that as I was afraid it would vibrate out. Your t-box plug could do the same. If you don't want to waste the fancy gear oil, just make sure a good sized area around the plug and the oil drain pan are spotlessly clean. I used brake kleen to do mine when this happened to me.
Old March 29th, 2011, 09:29 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Hope it wasn't a 1/2" drive torque wrench that you used
Old March 29th, 2011, 09:30 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Is it possible for the plug to fall in the t-case? That would worry me more that out as the oil dripping will end up on the rear window and door. Easy to see!
Old March 29th, 2011, 10:30 AM
J. Andrew
J. Andrew
95 D90 NAS SW #384

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
Hope it wasn't a 1/2" drive torque wrench that you used
Is there something I missed on the inherent nature of a torque wrench drive size that would change the delivered torque?

1000 lbs of feathers weighs the same as a 1000 lbs of lead right?

I used the torque wrench, because this was the only place in the owners manual where it noted a torque spec for a drain plug. I imagine some LR engineer didn't choose to mention it simply because he was getting paid by the word, but that these must be commonly over-tightened. I'm guessing that maybe it was one of the PO's or past mechanic that set me up for this.
Old March 29th, 2011, 02:29 PM
kevkon
kevin

The problem with using a 1/2" drive torque wrench is that it's very easy to go past the desired torque ( especially at such a low setting) and you essentially have a breaker bar. Generally for lower torque settings it's best to use a smaller torque wrench in the desired range. And as was already mentioned, there is generally no need to use one on a drain plug. Usually that torque setting is given so no one overtightens and strips the plug. In your case, as you said , you probably were the victim of a previous strip out. We have all been there.
Old March 29th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Isn't the drain plug tapered pipe threads? If so, it should tighten and stop, but if forced would expand the cover threads and keep going into the t-case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old March 30th, 2011, 01:04 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I think this has been covered

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=27973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Isn't the drain plug tapered pipe threads? If so, it should tighten and stop, but if forced would expand the cover threads and keep going into the t-case.
Old March 30th, 2011, 08:36 AM
kevkon
kevin

Another Land Rover quirk, inappropriate plugs.
Old March 31st, 2011, 12:32 PM
kzack
Keith Zack
none

Just an fyi, I tapped the hole to 1/2-20 as discussed in the referenced thread and is still holding tight with no leaks / seepage. Used a generic plug from a local auto parts store. Only been about half a year to this point.

Keith

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
drain, drain plug, transfer case, trip