diameter/thread of sending units for gauge upgrade - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 29th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253
diameter/thread of sending units for gauge upgrade

Does anyone know offhand what the diameter/tread size is on the sending units for

1) temperature
2) oil pressure

I'm going to upgrade my temp gauge with a VDO and add an oil pressure gauge & need to order sending units (http://www.egauges.com shows them all). If someone knows this offhand it will save the trouble of removing them to figure it out...
(sending units: http://www.egauges.com/vdo_send.asp?...5Bar_VDO&Cart=)

VDO also has a pretty cool fuel gauge in it's 'marine' line which has a low fuel warning idiot light built-in. It might be cool to swap that in & replace the existing unit - anyone know the ohm range on the sender in the D90?

Old September 29th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Mike Hippert
94 D-90 Grinding Rover
For the fuel sendor range http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=5472

I have an extra oil pressure sendor around someplace and I can check to see what the thread pitch and diameter are. I think I also have the stock temp sendor, but IIRC it's a real oddball size.

Don't forget to Search first then ask questions later! The loose nut behind the wheel
Old September 29th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat
I believe the coolant temp sender is 5/8 UNF threading. I couldn't find an adapter at the time, so I ended up getting a plug and then drilling/tapping it in my lathe.

Mike, definitely post up the oil sender threads when you figure them out, I'll be doing that gauge next.

My oil line fix

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old September 29th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor
For the coolant temp sender I run a 3/8-18 NPT tap into the original threads to taper them and then install a 3/8NPT sender. I just did a VDO oil pressure gauge on a D110. The original threads were #5 o-ring boss...so I got an adapter to fit a 1/8NPT sender. I bought an extra adapter if you need it....and I can order more if anyone else is interested.
Rob Dassler
SWR Automotive
505-872-7818 (shop)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions