Detroit Trutrac - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 21st, 2005, 08:13 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Detroit Trutrac

I spoke with Bill today at GBR about gears and the detroit trutrac. Well, the trutrac was his suggestion. I am planning to go with the 4:11 gears and he felt like while I was in there I should change the diff's. I searched the site for the trutrac but found very little on them, so I am asking those of you who have them or have used them, what your opinion is? Do you like them? What are the +'s and -'s of the trutrac? I use this truck as a daily driver and wheel it from time to time. I have 33" tires and the OME susp. with the EE droop kit. Thanks in Advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2005, 08:20 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I've had one in my Range Rover for four years - love it - I'm going to move it over to my D-90 with a set of GBR axles and figure that will be all I need to do to upgrade the driveline. The Trutrac is much stronger than the stock diff, completely benign in a rear axle and will provide up to 90% of the troque to the wheel that has traction if you just rest your foot on the brake pedal. I won't take my truck on the radical trails where full lockers might provide a slight advantage so its an ideal solution for me.
Old October 22nd, 2005, 01:24 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

I have the TruTrac in the front, and like it for the most part. You do have to learn how to utilize it in certain situs and the brake tap is your friend.

Plus - no HD axles for the front if yourf prudent. Quiet and invisible for my DD.
Minuses - learning curve. You sometimes have to trick the TT with braking. Not good for the rear. Installation (you need to know what your doing or pay someone to do it)

I wouldn't want one in the rear. I have a Detroit and it's invisible for the most part.

If I were to do it again, I would most likely spend the cash and go with an ARBs and HD axles front and rear. But as a DD with stock tires this is overkill for now. Current set-up I can follow just about anyone. Didn't have an issue following friends with 60's, arb's and 37 jeepers lasttime out.

EwS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2005, 06:25 PM
m.olivares
marc olivares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Siepmann
Plus - no HD axles for the front if yourf prudent. Quiet and invisible for my DD.
not entirely true, though you probably won't break a stock axle, you will go through CV's.
TT's are hard on CV's, i've broken a few w/ mine...but i'm harder than most on their vehicles.
i would encourage anyone who locks their front axle to upgrade the cv's and axles, w/ either Rovertracks 110 stuff or CVU's 300m stuff.
Old October 23rd, 2005, 06:59 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

For my 2 cents, I would find a deal on the ARB's, as they are selectable. You can not turn off the TT's or the Detroit’s. I have the ARB's and I find myself attempting an obstacle unlocked, and only if my driving ability won't let me accomplish the task, then I lock it up.

I think it makes wheeling a little more fun.

Scott

Old October 23rd, 2005, 08:30 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.olivares
not entirely true, though you probably won't break a stock axle, you will go through CV's.
TT's are hard on CV's, i've broken a few w/ mine...but i'm harder than most on their vehicles.
i would encourage anyone who locks their front axle to upgrade the cv's and axles, w/ either Rovertracks 110 stuff or CVU's 300m stuff.

This is true. Especially if your running larger than stock tires. Planning another upgrade later in the year. I really like the ARBs

EwS
Old October 24th, 2005, 11:18 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Mike Jablonski runs Trutracs on both front and rear He seams to like them I am sure he would tell you all about them (If he has recovered yet from Thursday Night ) his e-maile is mkj@swissmail.org
Old October 25th, 2005, 10:52 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Thank guys, so far it looks like I am going with the trutracs. That is unless more info comes and changes my mind.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 10:51 AM
KeithD
Keith Duckett
90 V8 Import

Registry
With a Trutrac on the back only there is a tendancy sometimes for the vehicle to crab its way forwards in mud. Doesn't happen often, and is kind of amusing. Probably my rubbish driving. I must try using the brake pedal at the same time. Other than that its operation is imperceptible. One on the front too would be nice.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 06:52 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Yeah their going on front and rear. I didn't want to go into all the axel changing and everything else needed with the ARB's. So when you say "crab" forward, do you mean the tires alternate spinning so that you feel like it is moving you side to side? Otherwise, I don't know what you mean by "crabbing" forward.
Thanks!
Old November 2nd, 2005, 08:28 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Axel changing and everything else needed for arbs????

I swapped out the 3rd member and called it good. I was looking to swap gears and lock my truck up. Bill @ GBR was a proponent of the TT+Detriot. I finished up going with ARBs+4.11 from Bill. Still got stock axles and 33" tires. I run unlocked till I need to lock them up - so the wear and tear is essentially the same as stock.
I didnt buy into what Bill said with Detroit and TT being essentially invisible. Perhaps its true, but I decided to go the extra mile for ARBs. Besides I figure if I want to lock the front, I want to lock the front, not half lock it and start mucking about with the brakes.
YMMV.
-scott
Old November 2nd, 2005, 09:52 PM
KeithD
Keith Duckett
90 V8 Import

Registry
I meant by crabbing - the vehicle goes in the direction you want but at an angle. Doesnt happen that often just I never noticed it before I put the trutrac in. Someone said to me there is that tendancy but it is no deal really.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 11:39 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoloco
Axel changing and everything else needed for arbs????

I swapped out the 3rd member and called it good. I was looking to swap gears and lock my truck up. Bill @ GBR was a proponent of the TT+Detriot. I finished up going with ARBs+4.11 from Bill. Still got stock axles and 33" tires. I run unlocked till I need to lock them up - so the wear and tear is essentially the same as stock.
I didnt buy into what Bill said with Detroit and TT being essentially invisible. Perhaps its true, but I decided to go the extra mile for ARBs. Besides I figure if I want to lock the front, I want to lock the front, not half lock it and start mucking about with the brakes.
YMMV.
-scott
Bill is not the only one that touts the need to upgrade the axels when going with ARBs. Just about everyone around here agrees with him. Your axel can actually twist on itself 7 times before snapping. If you are locking up from time to time you are probably twisting the axel somewhat. If this is true then its a matter of time before -SNAP. I am not saying that the TT's are better by any means. But they seem to fit my needs for the time being.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 08:55 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmccallum
Bill is not the only one that touts the need to upgrade the axels when going with ARBs. Just about everyone around here agrees with him. Your axel can actually twist on itself 7 times before snapping. If you are locking up from time to time you are probably twisting the axel somewhat. If this is true then its a matter of time before -SNAP.
Yup, he did talk about that. But didnt push the axle shaft upgrade like he pushed the TT+Detroit. I figure when the axle goes boom, I'll try to find another one. Or maybe thats the GREAT excuse to upgrade! (Gotta get the justification through the other half somehow - esp with all the other things I'm spending money on )

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmccallum
I am not saying that the TT's are better by any means. But they seem to fit my needs for the time being.
As they say, different strokes for different folks. Lockers are by NO means a one-size-fits-all solution.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 09:22 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Bill coincidently also sells upgraded axles.
I do have the ARB's and Maxi Drive axles. The deal is if run ARB's in the front it is recommended to upgrade the axles. You are more likely to break a front axle locked than the rear, because of the influence of steering and the torque it puts on the axle. I replaced my axles because I don't want to get screwed on the trail. Think of it as a preventative measure, you can buy someone’s old stock axles for dirt cheap and carry them with you on the trail as a spare if you are concerned. The rears are very easy to replace, the front require you to take the hub apart.
Just out of curiosity, what was the determining factor for you that made you decided on the TT?
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Old November 3rd, 2005, 09:30 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

I am curious to see if Bill is right also. Snow will be the big test with the Detroit/TT combo...
Old November 3rd, 2005, 11:19 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

I gotta say that the deciding factor for me was cost. Also I have yet to get in a situation were my stock setup was out of its element. I am not (yet) a hardcore wheeler. This all started when I wanted more umph from the truck while going over the mountain passes and to stop some of the wandering around that the transmission did as the pitch in the road increased. The people that I spoke with recommended gears (4:11) and then it escalated from there. If you are going to be in there you might as well put some lockers in there if you think you may ever one some. So I started looking at that. When the full lockers were talked about most peple recommended upgrading the axels and then the price skyrocketed. So I chose the TT with 4:11's front and rear. If I don't like the setup,well then I just really increased the cost of this venture exponentially.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 12:44 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Mike,
I think you'll be fine...and if you decide later to upgrade to ARB's, your TT's will still be valuable as used parts...all of them that I've seen come up for sale used went very quickly, so unless you break them, you'll probably be able to recoup some of the cost.
Rob
Old November 3rd, 2005, 06:02 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Yeah, thats kinda how I see it Rob.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac