Detroit Locker - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 10th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Defender 110 TD5
I had a Detroit locker in my def 90 300 tdi. Used to lock up when going round tight bends and break propshaft UJs. I wouldn't buy one again.

Old April 10th, 2013, 07:26 PM
72 + D1 drivetrain
I started with stock axles and a Detroit. Early on it was pretty tight and reluctant to unlock.
Put in HD after a few years.
Just be careful and you'll be ok. Then again, blow one and it will be hard to get out

Old April 10th, 2013, 08:19 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110
I have a Detroit for sale in the For Sale - Parts section. Set up and ready to go. Great locker.
Old April 11th, 2013, 03:33 AM
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
Worth noting if you do break a half shaft with a Detroit locker, you will most likely break the locker as well. I've been down this road before.
Can happen with an ARB as well.
A friend of mine who used to complete in winch challenges was in the habit of machining a very shallow groove in the outboard end of the half shaft - when it broke it was a very quick job to change the shaft. Trouble was the back lash when the shaft let go tended to smash the ARB to bits. Not every time but after a few half shafts had blown then the diff would let go too.
Mike Hammond
Diesels.....great when they're going and so easy to work on.
Old April 11th, 2013, 04:29 AM
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi
An ARB is pretty easy to fix when it gets damaged, and I see them damaged fairly often, mostly the flange caps due to broken gears.
Detroits are less likely to break but much harder to fix. Sometimes they are prone to doing weird things on off ramps etc. If they are set up really tight (pre load) this seems to be amplified.
I usually run a Detroit in the rear axle and an ARB in the front. Not a big fan of the TT although they do work really well in cars with traction control.
Matt Browne new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old April 11th, 2013, 07:22 AM
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Seeking advice on putting a Detroit locker in the rear of my 86 ExMod 90. I would love ARBs and know they are stronger, but I can't afford them anytime soon. I could however afford a Detroit for the rear.

What weakness/issues are there using a Detroit locker. And is there a better alternative out there?

The guys at Great Basin Rovers are excellent. They have great customer service and I believe they try to fit the best options based on how the customer will be using the application.

Bill at GBR advised me on my set up 8 years ago and he built my thirds. They've withstood the time and abuse I've put them through. I use my truck everyday to commute and I use it off road as often as possible. 4-5 events a year these days.

At the end of the day i dont think we can't expect a perfect application for every possible situation. My only complaint is they can crab sideways in extreme slippery conditions. You can manage that with experience over time. What I like is there are fewer dependencies like air and electricity. And I didn't have to cut holes to add switches in the interior.

Old April 14th, 2013, 01:51 AM
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie
Running TT in Front and Detroit in the rear

I am running a True Trac up front and a detriot locker in the rear. I have had no problems with the set up after about 30K. I did go with Ashcroft Axles from Lucky 8 in the rear as the take is you will trash a locker when a shaft goes. It did take a while for the TT to settle in as I would get torque steer up front which is aphlified by no front sway. I would recommend this set up.
Old April 14th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
I have a well traveled Detroit in the 130. I bought it new from Keith Kreutzer and installed it in the 110 I had @ the time. I sold the truck to Gustavo/Rugbier who took it to Trevor to have the detroit removed. Trevor traded/sold it to Ron/Evilfij. I learned of all this only after Trevor had already sold it to Ron. So I went to Philly and got drunk drinking bourbun with Evilfij and then initiated some horse trading. Not really sure what I gave for it but I got it back and still have both of my kids. I put it in the 130 where it has now broken 3 salisbury shafts. These shafts broke not because the detroit isn't the shizzle but because it enabled my dumb ass to take something the size of school bus into a rock garden where only truggys do and should play (twice). Salisbury shafts make a very pronounced noise when they go-easily heard 100 yards away. FWIW the salisbury version of the detroit is pretty much bullet proof, it doesn't break when you snap a shaft. Another nice feature of the Salisbury detroit is that its open in the center. IE when you pull both axle shafts there are no spider gears so you can see through the axle tube. Why does this fool think that is cool, you ask ? Because when you twist an axle off @ the diff end it can be a mother to get out. If you have a salisbury fitted with a detroit you can simply put a piece of rod through from the opposite side and tap it out. I use a $7 grounding rod from Home Depot, that even has a chamfered end, after a tap or two, Bobs your Uncle, or in this case Uncle Douglas....
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work
Old April 14th, 2013, 09:56 AM
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew
I have Detroit rear with HD axels and TT in the front with stock CV/axels in my D2 and it has yet to fail or let me down with 33-34" tires. I was skeptical of the set up at first because I liked the controlability of the ARB.. but I can count the amount of times I have been on trails and have needed to stop b/c somone had to fix a failed ARB compressor/switch/hose/fitting to continue on.

I am noy sure the type of wheeling you do, but I have done majority of the "complex" wheeling on the East Coast and my set up has yet to let me down.

I am building a 90 right now and ponder the same question you have and as nice as the ARB may be..the reliability is what points me in the other direction again.

Another option is also the Ashcroft locker, little cheaper than the ARB but requires the additional switches/compressor etc to properly function.
Old April 14th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus
I'm thinking TT up front and a Detroit for the Salisbury in the back. It is a simple set up (no compressor/switch/hoses) and about half the price as an ARB set up. For me simple is good. Besides, if If don't like them I can always pull them out and sell them into the insestous NOVA parts circuit and follow them from vehicle to vehicle for years to come,

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

detroit locker