Detailed '94 Rear Seat Photos/Installation info needed - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 15th, 2010, 03:39 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Detailed '94 Rear Seat Photos/Installation info needed

As I anticipate the arrival of my front facing rear seat (thanks Dale!), I was hoping someone ideally with an early '94 wouldn't mind taking a boatload of photos of their rear seat, how it mounts, the seatbelt mounting etc....

My '94 came without the seat, and therefore without any mounting holes. It seems that '95+ had the holes and stuff in place for a seat.

The installation instructions refer to a "retrofit adapter kit" - which I believe must be some bolts and plates and instructions for getting the tub ready to mount the seat. The seat belt instructions also refer to an "adapter kit".

Rovers North couldn't even find a part number for the kit, so I'm at square one with this. I need to order seat belts too, but like the seat, I'm not sure if the '94 is prepped for them, or if I need to fabricate the "KIT" to get them installed.

Anyone with a '94, who's up for the job, shoot me an email and I can be more specific about what I need photos of. I suppose if you've done this before on a '94, I'd happily take your instructions as well.

Thanks!

Jerod

(And not to turn this into a WTB, but if anyone has a line on some rear 3-pt retractable belts, shoot me a PM.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2010, 06:04 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
I would call a couple of local Rover shops/dealers to see if they are experience in the seat install.

I have had two "re-installed" one on my old 95 which was missing parts and one on my 94 (just last week) that was poorly installed.

I believe the retro kit is to beef up the backing plate on the wheel wells for the side brackets and the mounting plate for the rear "y" part. I have seen a few that tried to cheat and use the other two mounts in back...but the seatbelt should be dead-center and have a backing plate.

I left both of mine to trusted mechanics who had done the seat install multiple times and it made me feel more comfortable with strapping my daughter in.

Both times needed a little bit of creativity for the wheel tub backing and the first one required begging and pleading for ECR to go look in the back-40 for an old D90 tub with parts.

Let me know if you need specific photos and I can get them.
Old June 15th, 2010, 07:48 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
These should give you a good starting point

http://gallery.lhsw.com/d90RearSeatFeet

hth
charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2010, 12:44 AM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Thanks Charles, thanks Dave. Both very helpful. Will think hard about professional installation once seat and belts are in hand.
Old June 16th, 2010, 01:18 AM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
I do have to add...that once ECR believed that I exhausted all other options (searched every dealer in the states, etc.) they had me the part I needed in a few days for I think $5 plus shipping...crazy good.

Dreaming about when I can send my 90 to them for a galv chassis swap and a once-over.
Old June 16th, 2010, 09:01 AM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

You and me both! However the price tag and the 2-year wait seem to soften the blow.
Old June 18th, 2010, 12:54 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

I have done the rear seat install on my 94 so if you want to PM me if you are interested, I will give you my phone number. I have since upgraded/downgraded to forward facing bucket seats.
Old June 18th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
I have done the rear seat install on my 94 so if you want to PM me if you are interested, I will give you my phone number. I have since upgraded/downgraded to forward facing bucket seats.
Clay,
Can you post a picture of your bucket seats. I am looking for a good upgrade to the bench seat.
Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
installation