dented rear SW door - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 21st, 2011, 09:00 AM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
dented rear SW door

I think someone backed into me. I have a Mantec tire carrier on the door. It has not broken the glass but you can see the sill at the bottom is bowed pretty good. The plate that attaches to the door is bent up. I noticed a week ago that it was harder to get my hand in to reach the handle. Then this Weekend at SCARR the bolt that goes to the shock thing that connects the tire carrier to the door broke. so currently the tire carrier is being held in place with a bungee cord.

Is removing the rear glass as easy as it looks? just unscrew and remove fight the calk/glazing a bit?

Any suggestions as to the best way to straightening the door?

How about if I get it fairly straight Is there a better way to re-enforce the door.

I'll put some pictures up later tonight.

Thanks in advance,
Michael
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2011, 05:24 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Removing the rear window is exactly as easy as it looks.

The steel frame in the door is not very heavy gauge, and the skin is thin as well. If you're handy with a welder, t would be pretty easy to build a much stronger lower door frame and weld the window loop on top.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old April 22nd, 2011, 07:08 AM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaker View Post
I think someone backed into me.

Man thats frustrating!

I have a brand new Mantec carrier too. If you need it pm me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2011, 08:56 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
By the time you unskin the door, and repair the frame and reskin it and refit the glass and paint it....a new or used one starts looking pretty good.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old April 22nd, 2011, 09:13 AM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
By the time you unskin the door, and repair the frame and reskin it and refit the glass and paint it....a new or used one starts looking pretty good.
I'm hoping not to have to do all that. It is not real bad, in fact you have to look hard to see that it is dented. Maybe because it is one big indentation. My thought was that if I removed the window and the metal frame I could straighten out the aluminum and then build up the back side making it stronger and put a thicker and larger plate on the front. The one on the front is only 1/8th inch thick and it bent easy.

Don't really need a whole new tire carrier just the part pictured below. I haven't tried calling Mantec yet to see if they will sell just that part.

Yes I know my truck is dirty. SCARR was dusty...to say the least
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1184.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	38065   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1186.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	38066  

Name:	DSCN1185.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	38067  
Old April 22nd, 2011, 09:45 AM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

What size tire/wheel are you putting on there? Is it larger/heavier then factory parameters dictated for that door? I know problems for the series doors were crack at the wields and what have you? Perhaps someone did bump you or you backed into a rock formation at such a slow speed that you didnt even notice. By looking at the deformation is soo uniform? (I have been known to talk out of my ass too, dismiss if you want)
Old April 22nd, 2011, 10:22 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Mantec will sell parts. Don't get them from rn as the upcharge is too much. Try Keith gott. They will ship from the uk and it will be cheap.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 09:49 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Just running stock size tires. 265/75

Will try and get parts next week. But going to have to do something to make it stronger.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 10:18 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

There is a brand new take off door on eBay for 1500. I know it is expensive but it is a great long term fix.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 12:25 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I got a door for free a few years back that had the same bend. We used some 4x4's, some rags to protect the paint, and some bar clamps to gradually pull the door back to straight. Get some 3/8 or 1/2" x 1/16" butyl tape to put the glass back in.

Quote:
I think someone backed into me. I have a Mantec tire carrier on the door. It has not broken the glass but you can see the sill at the bottom is bowed pretty good. The plate that attaches to the door is bent up. I noticed a week ago that it was harder to get my hand in to reach the handle. Then this Weekend at SCARR the bolt that goes to the shock thing that connects the tire carrier to the door broke. so currently the tire carrier is being held in place with a bungee cord.

Is removing the rear glass as easy as it looks? just unscrew and remove fight the calk/glazing a bit?

Any suggestions as to the best way to straightening the door?

How about if I get it fairly straight Is there a better way to re-enforce the door.

I'll put some pictures up later tonight.

Thanks in advance,
Michael
Old April 23rd, 2011, 05:58 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
I got a door for free a few years back that had the same bend. We used some 4x4's, some rags to protect the paint, and some bar clamps to gradually pull the door back to straight. Get some 3/8 or 1/2" x 1/16" butyl tape to put the glass back in.
When you say pull the door. Do you mean that you squeezed the door between the two 4x4's with the clamps?
Old April 23rd, 2011, 06:25 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
4x4 and some blocks on the outside side to spread the load and rags to protect the paint. clamped at the edges of the door. smaller 2 x 4 block on the inside at the apex of the dented frame section, with a big clamp squeezing the 2x4 block toward the big 4x4. the 4x4 is stronger than the thin metal rail so that is the part that gives. took 2 or 3 pairs of hands to set it all up, but it worked. you need to go a little further than straight since the metal has some memory. but you will get a feel for that as you go.

Quote:
When you say pull the door. Do you mean that you squeezed the door between the two 4x4's with the clamps?
Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:53 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I backed mine into an obstruction and dented mine much the same as yours, except I had no tire on the door. I have just a cover plate over the place with the factory mount went. Mine was so bent that the glass was bowed and I thought it might pop if I did not get the pressure off of it. My solution was to close the rear door tight, place a 4x4 across the inside roll cage supports, and with my back & shoulders across the 4x's push on the door with both feet. Pressed out the bow very nicely. Can't even tell it was bowed now.
Old August 14th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Well it took a while but thought I would show everyone my fix/repair. I got the part from Keith Gott. Tried getting it state side but it was more than twice as much. However I did have to wait for while to get the part. (was not in stock, anywhere) I got it end of June early July. I ordered a piece of aluminum 12 x 24 and 1/4 thick. I drilled out all the holes and cut an inch off making it 23". Took the door off, removed everything including the glass and beat it back as straight as I could. Then mounted the new plate plus I installed the old one on top of that. The old plate was only 1/8" steel and about a 9 x 9" piece. Now it is 3/8" thick where the tire carrier mounts and it covers a much larger area. Also put new rivets in the frame on the back side of the door. You can still see a little bend in the skin but the frame is straight and the door works fine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1858.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	41099   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1857 (2).JPG
Views:	103
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	41100  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door