Delco Alt. Conversion Info - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 31st, 2007, 01:10 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Delco Alt. Conversion Info

Ok, so I have spent the last several hours online trying to find the best information on converting to a Delco HO alternator on the V8. Can anyone point me to good information or has anyone here done this?

I found a page with a lot of good info but it seemed like most of their alternatives weren't really any cheaper in the end than just buying a HO unit intended for the LRV8.

Also, I am beginning to get a little confused about the 1-wire and 3-wire etc. My understanding is that with the V8 you need the 3-wire unit but I am guessing that the Series conversion uses only the 1-wire unit?

Thanks guys!
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2007, 01:31 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
series can use either, most use the 3 wire. don't know much about the v8 in general but the principal is the same.
Old October 31st, 2007, 02:51 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Another question, when it says that it has a CW rotation is that CW looking at it from the front? or is it CW looking at it from the driver's seat?

What is the output for the stock Alt on a 3.9 LRV8?

Thanks!
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2007, 03:50 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Can you be more specific about what you are up to (like what output you are after or what models you have considered). I looked into the Delco's briefly before finding that mine works (but in my case it would have been for 3.5 V8), and it seemed to me the hardest part was getting the mounting right (the pully's aligned). The rest is pretty straight forward and should wire up fine afaikt. This might be a good page to read - not about the delco specifically, but general working info.

http://www.alternatorparts.com/under...lternators.htm
Old October 31st, 2007, 05:05 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Well, I have a lot of accessories I plan to operate and just want to make sure there is enough power but I don't know what the factory output is. From what I can tell it may only be about 65a and I was planning to pop one in that outputs somewhere between 90 and 130 depending on prices etc. I will probably have a better idea of what I can fit etc. once I get back and can take some measurements off of mine. I want to find a conversion that will not require too much fabrication but I also don't want to break the bank. I was thinking about rebuilding the orig. to make more power but I don't know how to go about it. Before I look into what will fit I am trying to get more info about what kind of outputs I need ie. 3-wire v. 1-wire & rotation direction. I know the LR one is CW rotation but I don't know if that is CW from the front or back. This would all be much easier if I had the truck right in front of me but unfortunately I don't. If I end up piecing together a good system I will most certainly document and post it, but I am still in the early stages of researching this.

Sorry for the length of the response!
Old October 31st, 2007, 11:29 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
hi

clockwise from the front. engines mostly rotate CW so most belt driven accessories are the same.

careful with hi output rebuilds and upgrades. make sure the wiring is up to it. also the alternator cooling fan is usually different on the hi amp ones, so that should be changed too.

rgrds
dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
. I know the LR one is CW rotation but I don't know if that is CW from the front or back. This would all be much easier if I had the truck right in front of me but unfortunately I don't.
Old October 31st, 2007, 11:55 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Do you know what the factory output is for the 110? Do you know of a site that gives info on how to rebuild it to output more amps? I can find how to rebuild it to spec and how to "trick" it into outputting higher voltage but I was hoping for a really good writeup on what needs to be done etc.

Thanks for all your input!
Old November 6th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Not sure if this helps but!!!
http://www.geocities.com/erdiaz.rm/Rover/bosch.html

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
conversion