defrost that middle part - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 6th, 2012, 09:20 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
defrost that middle part

I live in Canada, about an hour drive north from Quebec City and it's pretty cold in winter. My windshield get defrosted but the middle of it always froze. The bad thing about that is that he driver's wiper ice up on it's tip and then it's impossible to get the windshield clean. I thought about using the Mud console to route hot air from the duct to that middle part. As anyone ever tried this? I will keep you lads updated but your feel free to help me out!

Thanks
Jeff
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

This is what you need: http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/DefenderVENT.shtml
Old January 6th, 2012, 09:43 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
I already look at that product but, unfortunately the middle part of the windshield won't get more hot defrosting air. I will make my own door window defroster (about the same thing except cheaper) but, still have the middle part frosting up..
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2012, 09:45 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Heated glass from Ricky Evans Motorsport

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old January 6th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I've never had a problem. There are narrow and wide vents. Perhaps you have the narrow ones? How wicde it's the openning in the vent?
Old January 6th, 2012, 10:03 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
John, it must be narrow type. I'm afraid to ask but why narrow and larger vent and how do I make sure of the size of mine?

------ Follow up post added January 6th, 2012 10:06 AM ------

Bill, Heated glass is great but not the cheapest thing to get! I had a glass shop makes me a proper windshield, total cost 100$ installed. Last trip before winter I might have overloaded the roof rack and the glass cracked. Imagine if it was a heated glass, I would have cried! hehe
Old January 6th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I think it will. Have you seen the comparison photos of the stock vent vs the defender vent? It is significantly wider thus allowing air to reach the middle section as well. Heater windshield is great too but much more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNRover
I already look at that product but, unfortunately the middle part of the windshield won't get more hot defrosting air. I will make my own door window defroster (about the same thing except cheaper) but, still have the middle part frosting up..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-01-06 at 7.57.55 AM.png
Views:	77
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	45686  
Old January 6th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Stephen Peters had some heated windshields for a good price. Don't know if he still has any. You could check to make sure that your heater duct hoses are hooked up. It is not the best design and some times they work loose. The problem is it is easy to see the one behind the gauges but the other side you have to remove a bunch of stuff to get to it.
Old January 6th, 2012, 07:56 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Do you have them in your D? I would love to hear some 1st hand experience with them. Everything I've read has been somewhat critical of the execution of an otherwise good idea.
Old January 6th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNRover View Post
John, it must be narrow type. I'm afraid to ask but why narrow and larger vent and how do I make sure of the size of mine?
The old ones are 8" wide and the newer 12" wide. You would need a newer dash top to fit the wider stock vents or the "Defender Vent". You should be able to find the wider style used cheap somewhere. I have the wider ones and don't have any defrost problem.

I've actually just fitted a new heater to my truck with three times the heat output and twice the air flow that might interest you.... I need to finalize some testing, but should have a writeup soon.
Old January 7th, 2012, 02:51 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
I will get the dash out in the following weeks as other jobs in the area need to be done. I will keep my route with the center console. I think it deserve to be done, at least try it before buying these expensive piece of gadget.. I'll email pics later on of my project.. If anyone has suggestions, bring it on!
Many thanks..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
part