Defenders in California - Everything you want to know - Page 7 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 9th, 2016, 07:38 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicLRParts View Post
We just imported 2 defenders last month that are 89 and 91. If you have any questions please send me a message and I would be happy to help you.
Importing is a Federal set of hurdles, properly titled and registered in CA is the state set of hurdles. Do not confuse the two, and if you have successful California registration suggestions for Diesel trucks please share your best practices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2016, 12:08 AM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1986 D110 V8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
The only motor swap I know of that is anywhere close to CARB approval is Nick's LS motor conversion. There is the possibility of dropping in a Puma motor from a transit van, but remember *every* component that was on the old motor needs to be installed, and any aftermarket replacements MUST be CARB approved with an Executive Order (EO) number

Neil: Can you elaborate on this a little bit? How's Nick's LS swap CARB approved, and not a 50-state Rover engine? What's so different (from CARB's point of view) about the two?

And are you saying that there is someone who has actually successfully done this here in CA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2016, 06:33 PM
Quietcat22
Kevin
None

I am confused as Samer is above ^^^^^ Why wouldn't a repower with ANY certified engine of the same model year or newer be legit?

This eBay Auction sheds some light on the Certified Lab process. Clearly they are requiring the addition of a Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR)* system to any diesels in CA. I didn't think that could be achieved for even $8000, but someone has put together a "kit" or reasonable system.

* would subsequently require DEF (Diesel Emission Fluid, aka Urea)
Old June 12th, 2016, 01:36 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by samer0214 View Post
Neil: Can you elaborate on this a little bit? How's Nick's LS swap CARB approved, and not a 50-state Rover engine? What's so different (from CARB's point of view) about the two?

And are you saying that there is someone who has actually successfully done this here in CA?
What Nick is doing is essentially obtaining a donor drivetrain from a GM vehicle of the same weight class (light vs. medium duty) that was already a California approved engine, transplanting it into a Defender with his custom adapters and wiring harnesses, and using either the stock GM emissions components or CARB approved third party products (K&N intake, for example) that apply for that engine and have an EO number.

I can tell you he has had many, many, many, many calls and visits to the CARB Smog Referees during this process. So many things have to be done just right before the Referee is going to smile upon you and put the shiny holographic sticker in the door.

I would suggest you go check out his LS Conversion thread.

As far as why no one has bothered with a 3.9 or 4.0 Rover V-8 transplant... if you are going to go through the pain and suffering, why would you put an ancient, poor performing, low MPH lump like that in, when for not much more work you can have a modern V8 with wide parts support and vastly better power and MPH.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 12th, 2016, 03:21 AM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1986 D110 V8

Registry
Agree, no one is arguing the superiority of the LS conversion over theRover one. Rather the question is: Does the GM conversion not require a "Lab Visit" and the associated expense, and if so why not?

I'm not expecting a one-time visit to the CARB Smog Referee, but at the station I went to (Orange Coast College), the referee at the station refused to inspect the truck as soon as he found out it was a grey market vehicle. It didn't matter what engine was under the hood (3.9L NAS), or that I had every CARB required device installed, the definitive and final answer was that I needed to take the truck to a lab and have the engine "converted" and certified.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old June 14th, 2016, 05:06 PM
mach1gone
thomas
1991/defender 110

LLC out of state?

I have a friend that has used an out of state LLC to register his vehicle in Montana. One time registration there. He drives it here, and just claims that it is for his LLC, with his Cali license. Thoughts on this?

The other "cheaters" is to get a driver license in NV or AZ. NV requires a swap, but you can just just get a copy from the CA DMV of you DL. It's hard to prove how long the vehicle has been in the states. Just don't leave it on the streets....overzealous cops will take note.

Still not CA registered though.
Old June 14th, 2016, 05:53 PM
Quietcat22
Kevin
None

I have friend that does the Montana LLc deal to register all of his stuff. He lives somewhat off the grid, but it has worked for years.
Old June 14th, 2016, 06:22 PM
Macker
Mack Crouch
1988 110 LS Rebuild Project

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1gone View Post
I have a friend that has used an out of state LLC to register his vehicle in Montana. One time registration there. He drives it here, and just claims that it is for his LLC, with his Cali license. Thoughts on this?

The other "cheaters" is to get a driver license in NV or AZ. NV requires a swap, but you can just just get a copy from the CA DMV of you DL. It's hard to prove how long the vehicle has been in the states. Just don't leave it on the streets....overzealous cops will take note.

Still not CA registered though.
Like you said, it's still not CA registered which means if you are a permanent resident of California and your truck lives there then it is not legal. It wouldn't take an "overzealous" cop to figure out that you're using foreign registration to avoid registering it in California for some reason or another- it would just take a cop that is simply being observant and doing his/her job. It's my opinion that it's more likely that you could get yourself in trouble by registering it out of state because most cops don't know much if anything about defenders, but they do know how common it is for people to avoid paying CA registration. Chances are you won't ever have any issues, but it's not a logical solution in my opinion. All it would take is a jealous neighbor to tip off CHP and now all the sudden you have to provide documentation to the dmv and the fees start racking up.
Old June 14th, 2016, 10:00 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by samer0214 View Post
Agree, no one is arguing the superiority of the LS conversion over theRover one. Rather the question is: Does the GM conversion not require a "Lab Visit" and the associated expense, and if so why not?

I'm not expecting a one-time visit to the CARB Smog Referee, but at the station I went to (Orange Coast College), the referee at the station refused to inspect the truck as soon as he found out it was a grey market vehicle. It didn't matter what engine was under the hood (3.9L NAS), or that I had every CARB required device installed, the definitive and final answer was that I needed to take the truck to a lab and have the engine "converted" and certified.
You dealt with a shitty referee. If you have all of the documentation of the donor engine (remember the donor engine MUST be California compliant, not a "49 state" engine), to include the VIN of the vehicle it came out of, then they can sign off on it. You don't need to go to the lab.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 15th, 2016, 01:36 AM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1986 D110 V8

Registry
Thank you. That kind of restores my faith a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old June 25th, 2016, 10:54 AM
50thd90
50th
1998 50th D90

How much are headaches worth for a California license plate? That's the question you have to ask yourself. Personally my time is more valuable than having a CA plate on a car requires. Registration in any number of other states can be done by mail and you get plates within a couple days. Find me more than 3 people who have been issued tickets for having out of state plates with California drivers licenses, anyone?
Old June 25th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Mark White
Mark
None

My 1989 Defender is going to be up on Ebay in 1/2 hour. The $8,000.00 required conversion for the DEF converter was nixed by the wife....going to miss the Defender.
Old June 25th, 2016, 11:53 AM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50thd90 View Post
How much are headaches worth for a California license plate? That's the question you have to ask yourself. Personally my time is more valuable than having a CA plate on a car requires. Registration in any number of other states can be done by mail and you get plates within a couple days. Find me more than 3 people who have been issued tickets for having out of state plates with California drivers licenses, anyone?
I'll play…

I know of 3 cases where not having CA plates have bit people in the ASS…

To much to post but all involved vehicles tagged out of state and they got caught on various traffic violations and a traffic accident. Each time, they were asked why if your legal address is in CA, have a CA drivers license do you not have CA plates. Each time the judge didn't care, made them pay fines based on how many day's the car was in CA without tag's (3 years in one case). One involved a accident, not only did CA fuck him by making him pay fines, but his insurance dropped him for lying about where the vehicle was being housed and driven.

Yeah, roll the dice, take your chances…
Old June 25th, 2016, 12:17 PM
Mark White
Mark
None

Well, It did not make the reserve....I don't gamble, or do anything illegal. Maybe I will put a cover on it in the garage, and wait until I move out of state! I did check into an outa state registration, and a vehicle inspection is required for VIN verification, so you have to ship it somewhere anyway. They should tell you this stuff before they sell you the truck.
Old June 25th, 2016, 12:36 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Who is 'they'?

-Jeff
The nanny State. People are no longer responsible for their own actions.
Old June 25th, 2016, 07:09 PM
Mark White
Mark
None

"they" is a movie vehicle leasing company in Los Angeles that sold it to me.

------ Follow up post added June 25th, 2016 04:12 PM ------

:0 [ == ] 0: I'll figure this out....
Old June 25th, 2016, 07:28 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
The nanny State. People are no longer responsible for their own actions.
Neither is the Nanny state.
Old June 25th, 2016, 09:14 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Neither is the Nanny state.
Ha! So true.

Mark, I bet the studio had no idea either. Bottom line is CA and non NAS Defenders don't play very well together.
Old June 25th, 2016, 10:15 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark White View Post
Well, It did not make the reserve....I don't gamble, or do anything illegal. Maybe I will put a cover on it in the garage, and wait until I move out of state! I did check into an outa state registration, and a vehicle inspection is required for VIN verification, so you have to ship it somewhere anyway. They should tell you this stuff before they sell you the truck.
Caveat emptor.

Mike
Old June 26th, 2016, 01:15 AM
50thd90
50th
1998 50th D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark White View Post
you didnt look hard enough
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender