Defenders in California - Everything you want to know - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 8th, 2016, 10:21 PM
Rovershop
Robert
1988 defender 110

Ca defender

I've registered 3 defenders in the last 6 months, sold two and kept one. All diesels, no issues at all. They(dmv) were mainly concerned with vin checks, I used a mobile service.

All were imported from uk and came in on the east coast. They already had an other state titles, got CA registration immediately and titles in the mail in a couple weeks.

If diesel, no smog required and they never mentioned emissions.
Guess I've been lucky!

Cheers,
Robert.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2016, 10:26 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

Robert you are a hero of the people!! Now let me know what it would take to get that CT90 here in the Republic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2016, 10:54 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovershop View Post
I've registered 3 defenders in the last 6 months, sold two and kept one. All diesels, no issues at all. They(dmv) were mainly concerned with vin checks, I used a mobile service.

All were imported from uk and came in on the east coast. They already had an other state titles, got CA registration immediately and titles in the mail in a couple weeks.

If diesel, no smog required and they never mentioned emissions.
Guess I've been lucky!

Cheers,
Robert.
curious as too how you were able to get tags without going thru emissions in CA…
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2016, 07:11 PM
Rovershop
Robert
1988 defender 110

In the past have done a lot of series resto's but recently started defenders. Diesel's are exempt from smog tests, so there is not the immediate partial registration. Even on older vehicles (the series) are too old to require smog certs. I've registered dozens of vehicles over the years and never once has someone asked me about emissions?

I do not ever mention its a defender, always a land rover SUV. I always inspect the state title it comes with to make sure it says as little as possible about the truck. Have never tried to register one that had defender anywhere on the title.

I also use a mobile vin verifiers so that the DMV never sees the truck. They just want to confirm the actual vin matches the one on the title as it's the first time entering into the CA system, once in your golden...

Robert.
Old January 9th, 2016, 07:24 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Doesn't seem legit…

I was told by CA DMV that regardless of if it's diesel, gas, propane or rubber band, it needs to pass emissions…

So can another CA guy confirm this…I don't want to waste time with selling a truck to someone in CA if it's going to be hassle
Old January 9th, 2016, 08:39 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
I'm no expert but I registered my diesel 110 a few years ago and sold it to a guy in ca and he had no issue registering it up in San Jose

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer nor does this equal legal advise

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BUY SOME HATS --->

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 9th, 2016, 08:53 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
I think that there could also be a lot of self incrimination at the CA DMV. A certain amount of shade may be necessary in some cases.
Old January 9th, 2016, 09:28 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

gracias...
Old January 10th, 2016, 10:25 AM
Rovershop
Robert
1988 defender 110

Below is the ca dmv smog/emissions fact page..a little nebulous, but does give guidelines on emissions.

Smog Information

Robert.
Old January 10th, 2016, 10:52 AM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
Below is the ca dmv smog/emissions fact page..a little nebulous, but does give guidelines on emissions.

Smog Information

Robert.
So why are guys having issues?

Seems your solution can come back to haunt from what's being said in this thread. Some of the problems seems to be after the truck has already been tagged
Old January 11th, 2016, 07:24 PM
barbarick
Gregg
2016 LR4

I have been looking a lot at defenders that are 25 years or older, have a V8 gas engine, and have a title and license in a states (other than CA). How probable is it to get it shipped and titled in CA without being an NAS defender?
Old January 15th, 2016, 04:45 PM
spikemd
Ted
2001 P38, 2006 LR3, 1991 Santana

Quote:
In the past have done a lot of series resto's but recently started defenders. Diesel's are exempt from smog tests, so there is not the immediate partial registration. Even on older vehicles (the series) are too old to require smog certs. I've registered dozens of vehicles over the years and never once has someone asked me about emissions?

I do not ever mention its a defender, always a land rover SUV. I always inspect the state title it comes with to make sure it says as little as possible about the truck. Have never tried to register one that had defender anywhere on the title.

I also use a mobile vin verifiers so that the DMV never sees the truck. They just want to confirm the actual vin matches the one on the title as it's the first time entering into the CA system, once in your golden...

Robert.
Wow, seems like a crap shoot, but gives me hope! Robert, looks like you are in Benicia, not too far from Sacramento. Sounds like it is worthwhile to get it registered out of state and then ship it out to CA. Also, if I get a Santana, I could register it as a Santana which the DMV will not correlate with Land Rover.

Robert, did you register it to your business or as an individual? DMV may scrutinize less with a business who does this more often. Maybe I can use you as a liason as well as do some work.
Old January 17th, 2016, 11:59 PM
Rovershop
Robert
1988 defender 110

Registered as an individual...

Can certainly offer any experience I can, I'd be a bit wary of Santana's. They we're originally built under license in Spain to land rover exact spec. Over the years they began fixing or updated some of the deficits in the design, while not necessarily a bad thing, You could find yourselves with a vehicle that is out of spec and difficult to find parts that fit. Just my two cents.

Certainly open to working on your truck if you're able to get a hold of one. My shops in Benicia, but also have a place in Tahoe so always going back and forth.

Good luck in the search..
R.
Old January 21st, 2016, 08:11 PM
spikemd
Ted
2001 P38, 2006 LR3, 1991 Santana

Quote:
Registered as an individual...

Can certainly offer any experience I can, I'd be a bit wary of Santana's. They we're originally built under license in Spain to land rover exact spec. Over the years they began fixing or updated some of the deficits in the design, while not necessarily a bad thing, You could find yourselves with a vehicle that is out of spec and difficult to find parts that fit. Just my two cents.

Certainly open to working on your truck if you're able to get a hold of one. My shops in Benicia, but also have a place in Tahoe so always going back and forth.

Good luck in the search..
R.
Thanks for the offer.

The reasons I am looking at a Santana right now: left hand drive, minimal rust, contact in Barcelona who has exported before and where I will be traveling in April. True defenders arrived in Spain in 1991, right at the 25 year cut-off. He says they are rare, but is looking to buy them for export. My worry is that the DMV might scrutinize a 1991 import more than a 1980's truck.

From what I have learned, 90% of Santanas are rovers, with a few quirks as mentioned. They actually upgraded the engine by adding an additional 2 cylinders before rover and made a few upgrades. It may not be as desirable as a true defender, but my plans for a 110 are to build it up for offroading and overlanding. The other option would be to import a series III before 1979 and then drop a big motor (4.6 or LS), but that would require serious upgrades to every system. I would essentially need to build it from the frame up. Lots of time and money...
Old February 10th, 2016, 11:20 AM
fastinjun
Mitch
None

Ive got a 2000 Defender 110 in Spain...originally wanted to bring it here to California but what I see here that wont happen. Whats the closest thing I can bring here as far as the TD5 motor etc? Nothing close to a 2000 Im guessing.....California.....ugh..
Old February 10th, 2016, 11:48 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Are you familiar with the 25 year rule? Might be worth a read.
Old February 10th, 2016, 12:15 PM
fastinjun
Mitch
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
Are you familiar with the 25 year rule? Might be worth a read.
No Im not...is there a thread here? Im at work so cant read the entire thread on this topic just yet
Old February 10th, 2016, 01:23 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastinjun View Post
No Im not...is there a thread here? Im at work so cant read the entire thread on this topic just yet
There are, many of them. It would take quite some time to post them all here. I recommend using the search function.

I will tell you this, you are very unlikely to find a legal way to permanently import your 2000 Defender into the United States.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-into-the-u.s
Old February 10th, 2016, 07:03 PM
fastinjun
Mitch
None

Well I guess Im better off looking for a 1991 defender at some point...shame..but it is what it is....pity
Old February 26th, 2016, 12:06 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Just to be clear, this is legal but a diesel Defender isn't.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender