Defenders in California - Everything you want to know - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 17th, 2015, 04:21 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclyde View Post
It's the same process. A custom built car and a grey market car are treated the same. If you go to get smogged and it's not in the computers, you go to a referee and they take you through the process that Chris went through. Classic cars (ones built for the US and older than 39 years old) can qualify for a classic car exemption. Otherwise you are basically screwed. FWIW, california just basically OK'd driverless cars. So while you can't drive a Defender, you can sleep while driving legally now. Oh our great state of California.
Well, custom cars that are not production vehicles have an alternate route, the lottery that happens each year for what I think is 500 vehicles that are custom non-conforming. Before anyone asks, Defenders are NOT eligible for this exemption as they are production trucks.

The other way around this is to not register it at all, so it's an off-highway/track only vehicle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 17th, 2015, 04:23 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Can I sell my 110 to a CA resident when I move there? It's TX registered and I'm a TX resident.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old December 17th, 2015, 04:32 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
Can I sell my 110 to a CA resident when I move there? It's TX registered and I'm a TX resident.
Sure, but they will have to register it in CA, and go through one of the available processes to do that. CARB won't stop the sale, just the registration in the state.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 17th, 2015, 06:29 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Why would anyone subject themselves to the various types of crap that goes on in CA?
What's the draw? From excessive taxation to CARB "rules", over crowded roadways.
The income, really, a big purse in the bank ?
Just thinking about going there makes me sick to my stomach.
Old December 17th, 2015, 07:53 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani
95 D90 Soft Top Estoril Blue 6.2 LS

Beach and climate. With the few opportunities I've had to go surf(I live in Texas) I've come to enjoy it and would really like to see if I could get halfway decent going 3 times a week. San Diego from that perspective has a strong draw especially with my soft top D90 but it's tough with the negatives you list above. Maybe airbnb for a summer to get it out of my system.
Old December 17th, 2015, 09:15 PM
spikemd
Ted
2001 P38, 2006 LR3, 1991 109

Wow, I guess my dreams about importing just went up in flames. I have a contact in Spain and was planning on importing a 110 or Santana from Barcelona when I head out there in April. Unless I find a low mileage 1976 or earlier truck, sounds like I can't register anything. I do have a contact at the DMV, but that is a big gamble to get something through. Unbelievable how confining California is.

I am surprised at the cost to get CARB certified for an approved engine. Seems like finding a rover petrol engine with emissions would be the easiest swap. I know guys that have swapped in BMW M motors from late model M3s into earlier E30s (80s era) and they just need to prove all emissions are installed. It doesn't cost thousands of dollars or weeks of time. Why the scrutiny?
Old December 17th, 2015, 09:57 PM
Chris Bronco
Chris
1985 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikemd View Post
Wow, I guess my dreams about importing just went up in flames. I have a contact in Spain and was planning on importing a 110 or Santana from Barcelona when I head out there in April. Unless I find a low mileage 1976 or earlier truck, sounds like I can't register anything. I do have a contact at the DMV, but that is a big gamble to get something through. Unbelievable how confining California is.

I am surprised at the cost to get CARB certified for an approved engine. Seems like finding a rover petrol engine with emissions would be the easiest swap. I know guys that have swapped in BMW M motors from late model M3s into earlier E30s (80s era) and they just need to prove all emissions are installed. It doesn't cost thousands of dollars or weeks of time. Why the scrutiny?
Even if your connection at the DMV could help it might only be temporary. I've seen, as many of you probably have, ROW diesel Defenders for sale on Craigslist or EBay that are registered in California. Some even show photos of the license plates and registration and my guess is they either have a connection at DMV or the people working at the DMV thought that because it was a 25 year old diesel that it didn't need to be smogged and just issued the registration incorrectly. The problem with this is that the vehicle referee who i had been working with through this mess told me that even though those vehicles are registered now eventually the DMV headquarters in Sacramento conduct audits and once it identifies the Defender VIN as being a gray market vehicle the DMV will serve them with a notice that they will not be able to pay their registration until the vehicle is CARB certified. Every time I see one of those ROW Defenders for sale out of California that is already registered the first thing that crosses my mind is that they had probably recently been served the notice from Sacramento.

------ Follow up post added December 17th, 2015 10:06 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viton View Post
Why would anyone subject themselves to the various types of crap that goes on in CA?
What's the draw? From excessive taxation to CARB "rules", over crowded roadways.
The income, really, a big purse in the bank ?
Just thinking about going there makes me sick to my stomach.
Don't forget about the earthquakes, wildfires and this year El Niņo😄. Honestly California is like any other state it has it's pros and cons. Pros: beautiful women, beautiful weather, beaches, fishing, hunting etc. Cons: politics and for the purpose of this discussion CARB!!!
Old December 23rd, 2015, 06:49 PM
sjsd
Scott
none

Hi all, first time post here as I just created this account to chime in on this discussion. I recently imported a 1990 Mitsubishi Delica turbo diesel van from Canada. After getting plates and tags they sent my info to Sacramento, and I received the dreaded letter telling me I need to contact Mitsubishi to state whether it’s EPA compliant. I called the DMV technical compliance, which sounds like it’s a small department, as someone answered the phone right away. This leads me to believe they look into things a little closer and it would be hard to get away with any kind of shady activity. A friend of mine that also imported one just took his to the CARB lab in Santa Ana, and was quoted at least 6K. I was under the impression that it only had to be brought to the emissions standards of the model year of the vehicle. Wouldn’t a CA Diesel in 1990 have little more than an EGR as far as emissions controls? Needless to say I am not shelling out that kind of money for a van that’s value is not much more than that.

Say I were to sell it to a friend in a neighboring state, then try to bring it back in in a year or so as an out of state vehicle. Would they still kick it to Sacramento if there’s no EPA sticker? Or is it still luck of the draw at the point? Would my VIN get flagged since I already attempted to register in CA? I was also looking into the Montana LLC route that the RV people do, but it still sounds a little shady if you got pulled over with a CA license.
Old December 23rd, 2015, 08:17 PM
Chris Bronco
Chris
1985 110

It won't make any difference. California doesn't care if it has been registered in another state.
Old December 26th, 2015, 07:58 PM
sjsd
Scott
none

Is there a way to just get it tested and approved for federal (49 state non-caifornia) EPA requirements, register it out of state then bring it back into CA? Or is that what the CARB lab is already doing for $6500? I read an article online about getting an FTP test In order to get a title only for the purpose of selling it out of state. Really curious to hear what exactly they do for that kind of money. I'm actually considering it as sort or an investment as well since I'm having a real hard time thinking about selling my vehicle after all I've been through so far to get it.

Thanks again for starting this thread. It's nice to have an organized list to come back and refer to.
Old December 26th, 2015, 08:41 PM
Chris Bronco
Chris
1985 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsd View Post
Is there a way to just get it tested and approved for federal (49 state non-caifornia) EPA requirements, register it out of state then bring it back into CA? Or is that what the CARB lab is already doing for $6500? I read an article online about getting an FTP test In order to get a title only for the purpose of selling it out of state. Really curious to hear what exactly they do for that kind of money. I'm actually considering it as sort or an investment as well since I'm having a real hard time thinking about selling my vehicle after all I've been through so far to get it.

Thanks again for starting this thread. It's nice to have an organized list to come back and refer to.
You could register it and title it in another state and then sell it but if it is ever to be registered in California then you would have to go through CARB. Whenever I pick my truck up I will post what they did.
Old December 27th, 2015, 01:32 AM
rivermike
Michael
2008 LHD Tdci 110 Keswick Green

Wow interesting story, wondering what Chris will find out ? Can you post a pic of the 110 you bought ?

EMAIlL :

Current Inventory is listed in my STOCKLIST section

Worldwide shipping is our specialty
Old December 27th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Chris Bronco
Chris
1985 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivermike View Post
Wow interesting story, wondering what Chris will find out ? Can you post a pic of the 110 you bought ?
It's a 1985 110 that was built by forum member "One Ten" (Sam). I bought it from a guy up in Seattle who had put the Warn winch, ARB push bumper and ARB front and rear lockers on it. I didn't know much about it other than having a mechanic and an appraiser look at it before I bought it. I flew up to Seattle and spent a half a day going over the truck and decided to buy it. Drove it straight back to LA with no problems. After I bought it, then I joined this forum and started doing research and that's when I found the thread by Sam that details the restoration project. After I read the restoration thread I felt pretty fortunate to have the truck. Getting it registered and dealing with CARB has been the only downside.
Old December 27th, 2015, 11:11 AM
Chris Bronco
Chris
1985 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivermike View Post
Sorry I tried to upload a photo but it's not working. If you do a search of One Ten's past posts you can find the restoration thread with photos. I need my wife or teenage son to show me how to properly operate this iPad.
Old December 27th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I used to think the same. Until I met my wife, and then later moved here. You are thinking of the stereo types of the Яepublik. There are stereotypes are for a reason, but realize how large and geographically diverse the state is. Believe it or not, politically as well. There are often more hoops to jump through, but it is worth it if you choose the right part to live in. As an example, this vid was shot in my neighborhood. This Porsche 356 Is Driven Against The Grain - Petrolicious Now if I lived in El Eh, Id have to reconsider.

-Jeff

this post gives me hope

hope that deep down briggs really is ok and is not being held captive...

I count him as one of a few sane people I can call a friend in California!

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old January 4th, 2016, 01:26 PM
spikemd
Ted
2001 P38, 2006 LR3, 1991 109

California VINs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bronco View Post
Yes that is my understanding. Everything goes back to the engine so it has to comply with the year of the motor not the vehicle.

Just another note, while I was at the lab there were all kinds of vehicles including muscle cars and high end European sports cars as well as some built 4x4s.
If you had the engine out of a CA VIN RRC, wouldn't a referee station be all that is required? I know tons of people that have dropped 90's BMW M3 engines in earlier E30 (80s) vehicles. As long as the emissions equipment is there and the OBD ports work properly, they don't need to get a separate CARB certificate. Dealing with early 90s engines, you don't even have OBD ports so emissions equipment is minimal.

This would make the process a whole lot easier and save thousands. If I can import a late 80's Defender and then drop in a 90's RRC petrol motor from California, then I might try it. Once it is installed and registered, you could drop in a 4.6L as they look almost the same and have some decent hp.
Old January 6th, 2016, 12:05 PM
jordangootnick
Jordan Gootnick
1995 NAS Defender 90

I fought with CARB and DMV on my legally imported Italian d110 LHD with a 2.5td for a year and a half. While my truck was going through the Panama Canal they started enforcing the 1976 CARB law but wouldnt' budge. I tried everything and spent hundreds of hours on this. I finally had to sell my truck to a guy in Puerto Rico.
Old January 6th, 2016, 04:05 PM
Chris Bronco
Chris
1985 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikemd View Post
If you had the engine out of a CA VIN RRC, wouldn't a referee station be all that is required? I know tons of people that have dropped 90's BMW M3 engines in earlier E30 (80s) vehicles. As long as the emissions equipment is there and the OBD ports work properly, they don't need to get a separate CARB certificate. Dealing with early 90s engines, you don't even have OBD ports so emissions equipment is minimal.

This would make the process a whole lot easier and save thousands. If I can import a late 80's Defender and then drop in a 90's RRC petrol motor from California, then I might try it. Once it is installed and registered, you could drop in a 4.6L as they look almost the same and have some decent hp.
It's my understanding and from what the referee told me is if it is a gray market vehicle it has to go to CARB first, even if the work has been done as you described, it would still need to be CARB approved, which means you would have to go to the independent lab in Santa Ana. You probably wouldn't have to pay for any further work if it had already been done, but I believe it would still need to be tested to prove that it meets their standards.
Old January 8th, 2016, 03:11 PM
sjsd
Scott
none

I know this would take quite a bit of effort, but would it work?

Say I establish residency in Arizona, get a license and register the imported car there for at least a year. Then when you bring it into CA, you fill out this statement of facts for used direct import cars and become a CA resident again.

It would be a lot of effort as I imagine you'd have to file non resident taxes for CA if you still work here, etc. Oh the things we do for cool cars!

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...df?MOD=AJPERES
Old January 8th, 2016, 05:51 PM
jordangootnick
Jordan Gootnick
1995 NAS Defender 90

What you say about the CARB issue is correct, if you could get them to approve it. The Santa Ana shop is the only one in the state of CA, there used to be one in Napa, CA (40 miles from me). The Santa Ana shop quoted me $15k to get in compliance. No thanks.

BUT, that is not the only problem. The car must also me DOT safety standards in the year it was produced for the USA. They require a letter from Land Rover stating this. Clearly impossible.

I made a pretty strong argument that when my car cleared customs it got a EPA and HomeLand security inspection and passed, so wouldn't that be a safety inspection (the homeland one) for DOT as it actually reads DOT on it? They almost let me do it, but then a supervisor at DMV rejected it.

Finally, I got a local Police to do an out of state vin verification for me for the state of AZ where my in-laws live, I had it all lined up to register it in rural AZ (the cities like PHX and TUS require smog) and then keep it in CA with AZ plate, when I got the offer to sell it. At that point a year and a half in, I resented the d110 and just wanted it gone......

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender