Defenders in California - Everything you want to know - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 3rd, 2015, 05:58 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
California has a weird maze of rules for emissions compliance. Just when you think you understand them, they pass a new rule that makes it even more confusing. Like here:

$200 Could Get You Out Of A Classic Car Smog Check In California

Here Are The Four Legal Ways To Import A Car To The United States

There become considerable problems when you move between engines not originally certified in your vehicle. Over in the VW world, the Vanagon Syncro 4x4's had absolutely POS engines. So the hot swap was to go to a Subaru flat 4 water cooled. The 2.2 was no problem, but they became just about as unreliable s the original VW engine due to their age. So folks started trying the 2.5 or larger Subie. Big problems in the land of lotus eaters trying to get a referee to certify it. Then swapping to the VW turbo diesel, works well in 49 states, but not so in Cali unless you used a old non-electronic version, no referee would touch it.

I have a house in California and one here in Arizona, guess which state I keep a driver's license in? Aside from a profoundly lower tax and fee burden in AZ, California is also very harsh on self employed. I did like it when I pulled one over on them with my Series III diesel. When I came back from overseas, they where just putting their heads into pencil sharpeners at the DMV, tying for the perfect pin shape they have now. Since my Land Rover had NATO AFI plates issued by the Feds, they gave me one in California without problems, even though they never approved the Land Rovers for import in 1976 models. I don't think I could pull that one off again. Especially in the current climate there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2015, 11:43 AM
hbl21
bart leconey
1989 Defender 110

does anyone know of people who help setup title companies in nevada so you can register it there even though you live in california? if you get pulled over you just say the car is mostly at your other house there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Many states, such as Arizona have snowbirds licenses both for vehicles and driver's license, it is in addition to your home state. I believe Florida does as well. In AZ you have to be in the state for more than 30 days. Nevada may have the same rules, you would need a PO box or the like.

Like so many things in CA, if your car, with out of state plates in in your driveway for more than 30 days the local PD can cite you and in places like Laguna Beach, they do. I know I have an actual second home there, have for decades. But I live and pay taxes in AZ. Its a crock, but thats how it is. Same rules apply to airplanes and boats. Lots of folks pay for tiedowns in Oregon to circumvent it. Doesn't work in the long run.
Old August 12th, 2015, 08:42 AM
Matt_110
Matt

Damn, we were talking about moving to CA in a few years. It looks like I'll have to sell my 110 since it has the 2.8TGV. No bueno.
Old August 12th, 2015, 01:36 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_110 View Post
Damn, we were talking about moving to CA in a few years. It looks like I'll have to sell my 110 since it has the 2.8TGV. No bueno.
How do you like that 2.8 ?
I love my 2.8TGV in my Disco 1. Though it would be better in a 110.
Old August 12th, 2015, 03:45 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
[*] Purchase an import, and then implant an engine that is EPA or California compliant. This is the newest possibility. Especially with Nick's LS conversion kit, and the possibility of transplanting a Ford Transit Puma motor into a Defender. California requires that an engine be the same model year or newer than the chassis it is being put in to. So if you have a 1987 Defender and want to put a 2010 LS Motor in it, along with ALL of the required emissions equipment, you can take it to a California Smog Referee and have it signed off as a legal engine swap. 100% legal.
Have had a number of people ask me about putting a Mercedes OM617 into a ROW Defender style vehicle for CA use.
AND
Have always told them I didn't know the answer to the question is a 90/110/130 vehicle CA compliant with am OM617.

This sounds like you can install the CA version of the Mercedes OM617 as long as it matches the vehicle year or is newer. The OM617 is Federalized and was sold in CA in the Mercedes 300D, 300CD, 300TD & 300SD through the end of 1985.
The OM617 was also used in ROW Mercedes vehicles and other military vehicles like the Huglund tracked vehicles and was manufactured until about 2000 or 2001.
While this is a narrow window, it looks to me like 1983 - 1985 Defender style vehicles would be 100% legal in CA with an OM617 of the same year or newer...
Is this true?

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old August 12th, 2015, 04:13 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Is this true?
Spot on.. 100% legal and legit swap for 1983-1985 ROW defenders in CA. Puitting one in anything later it runs afoul of being legal since the powerplant is older than the vehicle it is going into.

Same rules apply on getting it legal, still have to go through the whole smog referee BS and get it signed off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 12th, 2015, 04:17 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykokid View Post
Spot on.. 100% legal and legit swap for 1983-1985 ROW defenders in CA. Puitting one in anything later it runs afoul of being legal since the powerplant is older than the vehicle it is going into.

Same rules apply on getting it legal, still have to go through the whole smog referee BS and get it signed off.
Good to know...
Now I don't have to tell people install at your own risk and so on.
Is the smog test every year, or just a 1 time certification?
Being on the opposite coast, I haven't a clue.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old August 12th, 2015, 05:22 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

For a federalized diesel motor produced before 1997 it would be a 1 time thing. For a gas motor it would be biennial..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 12th, 2015, 06:04 PM
Matt_110
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
How do you like that 2.8 ?
I love my 2.8TGV in my Disco 1. Though it would be better in a 110.
Luis,

I was only able to put about 500 miles on it...maybe less, before I had to put it in storage. The good news is that it is coming out on Saturday and I'm going to finish the rebuild. I can't wait to drive it again. From memory, it was a hell of a lot better than the 3.5 and the 3.9 I had in it before. Have you towed with yours? Auto? Send a message if you like so we don't hijack this CA thread.

Cheers,

Matt
Old November 21st, 2015, 06:26 PM
Chris Bronco
Chris
1985 110

Registering my 85 110

Purchased a 1985 110, that has a 91 v8 Range Rover engine in it from a guy in Washington state. Have Been going through the process to get it registered in Cal and everything you have said is spot on. To save you the long story I will just say that the next step for me is to take it to the independent environmental engineering lab in Santa Ana ca. To have it evaluated. When I spoke to the man at the lab he said it would not be cheap and would not be quick to get it CARB approved. Once it is approved I will then go back to the referee where they will smog it and place the CARB approved stickers on it. From that point I will be able to get it completely legally registered and it will be treated like any other vehicle moving forward.

I will keep everyone updated as to the cost and time that it takes. Frustrating!
Old November 21st, 2015, 06:51 PM
Chris Bronco
Chris
1985 110

Unfortunately no. When I first took it to get smogged at a buddies smog station it wasn't listed in the state computer so he referred me to the referee who referred me to CARB who referred me to the independent lab. Going the week after Thankgiving. The man at the lab said it could cost thousands and take 8-10 weeks.
Old December 16th, 2015, 07:36 PM
adamclyde
Adam
'83 110 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bronco View Post
Unfortunately no. When I first took it to get smogged at a buddies smog station it wasn't listed in the state computer so he referred me to the referee who referred me to CARB who referred me to the independent lab. Going the week after Thankgiving. The man at the lab said it could cost thousands and take 8-10 weeks.
Chris - how did it go? I think you might be about 3-4 months ahead of me in the process. I'm taking ownership next week and begin the long and arduous journey... and I'm in southern Orange County, so I'm guessing I'm likely to go to the same referee/labs you will have worked with...
Old December 16th, 2015, 10:28 PM
Chris Bronco
Chris
1985 110

Adam, the news wasn't good but could have been much worse. It is costing me $6,500 to have my 85 ROW 110 CARB certified. When the work is complete in two months it will have the CARB stickers and be smogged. I will be able to go directly to the DMV and register it. George, the man in charge at the lab told me that I was lucky I didn't have a diesel because it would have cost somewhere around $15,000 to get it certified. California does not like gray market vehicles especially diesels. I know others on this forum had suggested registering it in another state and bring back to California or even moving to a different state altogether and while I wouldn't blame anyone for taking that course of action it just isn't an option for me so I was left with no other choice. I know legal 110s are rare in California and in high demand so I look at this process as somewhat of an investment or maybe that's just my was off reconciling going through this bull shit and spending all of this money. Anyway, I caution anyone who is looking to bring a ROW defender into California. let me know if you have anymore questions or if I can help in anyway. Good luck.
Old December 16th, 2015, 11:39 PM
Roverdoc
Dan Kemper
1997 D90 SW #278

I am curious what they actually do to it for 6500?
Old December 17th, 2015, 12:01 AM
Chris Bronco
Chris
1985 110

Yeah great question. I joke with my buddies and said they probably put a new air filter in it, adjust the timing, drive it around the block and stick the CARB stickers on it. And then of course drive to the bank to cash my check.

They are going to provide a detailed description of the work that has been done when I pick it up. I will get back to you and let you know what was done and if it affected the performance at all.
Old December 17th, 2015, 07:24 AM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bronco View Post
Purchased a 1985 110, that has a 91 v8 Range Rover engine in it from a guy in Washington state.
Chris, do you know if the install included all the required emissions components from the 91 RRC? I posted on this earlier and I wondered if that would work. RRC are CARB compliant engines if they use all the emission components right?
Old December 17th, 2015, 08:27 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
To say that I am amazed by California CARB as it relates to hobby vehicles in general is understatement. What about all those custom cars that we see on the cable channels? Those folks don't seem to give a rat's ass what engine they use....how do they get away with it? Isn't there any kind of loophole for antique or occasional use or street rod or something that would allow you to get tags without the CARB thing?

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Old December 17th, 2015, 09:04 AM
Chris Bronco
Chris
1985 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin88RRC View Post
Chris, do you know if the install included all the required emissions components from the 91 RRC? I posted on this earlier and I wondered if that would work. RRC are CARB compliant engines if they use all the emission components right?
Yes that is my understanding. Everything goes back to the engine so it has to comply with the year of the motor not the vehicle. But I will also say this, by the time I got to the point where I was dealing with the private lab I almost didn't care what they did or didn't do or how they did it. I just wanted it CARB approved and didn't care how they did it. By the way it is my understanding that this is the only CARB approved lab in the state. So in other words you can do all the work yourself but ultimately you will have to go to the lab to have it tested. Going directly to a smog garage or referee won't work. The referee will refer you to CARB who will refer you to the lab. When I pick it up I will try and post the work order/receipt etc. and hopefully that will give us a better understanding.

Just another note, while I was at the lab there were all kinds of vehicles including muscle cars and high end European sports cars as well as some built 4x4s.
Old December 17th, 2015, 04:40 PM
adamclyde
Adam
'83 110 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
how do they get away with it? Isn't there any kind of loophole for antique or occasional use or street rod or something that would allow you to get tags without the CARB thing?
It's the same process. A custom built car and a grey market car are treated the same. If you go to get smogged and it's not in the computers, you go to a referee and they take you through the process that Chris went through.

Classic cars (ones built for the US and older than 39 years old) can qualify for a classic car exemption. Otherwise you are basically screwed.

FWIW, california just basically OK'd driverless cars. So while you can't drive a Defender, you can sleep while driving legally now.

Oh our great state of California.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender