Defender Source Forum banner

Defender with small kids - car seat question

Tags
defender
6K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  rrosals 
#1 ·
My Defender lacks the kind of inertia seat belts that allow for "static" operation. Meaning... when I extend them all the way, they don't click-click-click their way back the way almost every other car I've owned does. This would allow for installation of a car seat with its own system of safety belts... Given that I have a forward facing rear seat, what are my options?

Do people run static/lap belts?

Is there a genuine part that works??

#3 ·
I've used inertial belts without issue on the sides. One of our giant britax booster seats has a great design that works wrll with static lap belts. You tighten the best you can, then when you close the seat belt retainer it puts on more pressure pushing the seat down more firmly into the seat. It's mega secure.

#4 ·
The rear belts are new. The fronts are original. Neither function in this way.

When I research car seat safety, there is still a suggestion that placement in the middle of a rear seat is the best location - and, since many new cars only have static lap belts in this position, I figure a lap belt design is still as safe.

#8 ·
Nick -

I checked out the "clicktight" design and the internet instructions are a little lacking... but they seem to indicate that all you do is thread the 3-point belt through and fasten as you would normally. Nothing about pulling all the way out to activate a "static" mode... it gains is security when you close the seat base and it "locks" the belt. Is that correct?

If so, this is a perfect solution. Thanks!

#9 ·
That is the jist of it. My issue was that there was too much slack in the all of the buckles when using the seat base. Basically the seat belts would not tighten enough or the buckle position was awkward easily released. With the clicktight you simply buckle the seat normally across the mechanism and then close the cover. It some how provides tension and locks it in place.

#12 ·
Just curious - do you all drive with your kids in the truck on highways and roads that have higher speed limits? For the ROW guys, do you have cages?

In the wake of some terrible car crashes here on Long Island my wife has pretty much stated that she and the kids won't be travelling in the Defender (once we get it).

#13 ·
I have a ROW truck without a roll cage. I will hop on the highway, but will stay in the right hand lane and putt along at 60 ish. I try to stick to back roads etc. but sometime that isn't practical. I view the no roll cage as a known risk. I'm made it through the 80s sitting on the flight bench of my dad's truck with no booster seat. I imagine some would think this is careless, but I'd like to think the odds are in my favor of it not happening. I have added some sliders for some more side impact protection. I think a t-bone is a more likely scenario than a roll over.

#14 ·
I have a ROW truck without a roll cage. I will hop on the highway, but will stay in the right hand lane and putt along at 60 ish. I try to stick to back roads etc. but sometime that isn't practical. I view the no roll cage as a known risk. I'm made it through the 80s sitting on the flight bench of my dad's truck with no booster seat. I imagine some would think this is careless, but I'd like to think the odds are in my favor of it not happening. I have added some sliders for some more side impact protection. I think a t-bone is a more likely scenario than a roll over.
That sounds a bit like the argument that goes something like "I've made it 40 years without wearing a seatbelt, and I'm fine"..

Yeah, as long as nothing happens, you probably will be, but if something does..

#16 ·
Agreed. I've tried to stack the odds in my favor and try to be pragmatic with the approach. I live in an old house too that likely has lead paint, etc. I could have rehabbed the old house and remove all the trim, doors and everything else. But at some point there is an intersection of risk versus reality. We love our trucks for what they are. With that appreciation is the acceptance that they are not the safest as a modern car . If you add a roll cage, then do you also address the addition of more weight and a possible increase in your breaking distance?

My point is that even with a roll cage it isnt going to be as safe as my Outback with a steel cage and air bags from every orifice.

#17 ·
As someone with 3 small kids (all under 5), two of whom would only travel in the Defender if they had the choice (and the 3rd not being old enough to have an opinion) - it is a thought I have frequently. At the end of the day - slower is MUCH better - in town,sand, trails, things that are actually fun to drive on - not the LIE, which is a death trap. Short wheelbase, high center of gravity, vague handling and breaking = very scary at speed. I would be curious to hear of anyone who has blown a tire at highway speed (speaking of survivor bias).

#18 ·
I haven't blown a tire but had lugs shear and fall off. The entire left front wheel flew off at 45mph. This was on a 3" lifted Discovery 1 with 285/75R16s and no sway bars. Truck fell down on the disc and ground it down as bit as it slowed. I just held the wheel straight and let the truck pull where it wanted. It ended up slowing itself nicely and stweed to the right ever so slightly.

I've had a blowout on a 16' uhaul box truck with 3.5k lbs in the back towing a GX470 on a uhaul trailer. Nothing bad happened but it was a dually. Highway speed.

I've also been right behind my friend in a silverado 1500 towing a 325 on a uhaul trailer. His left rear blew and nothing happened there either. Highway speed, also.

Not that you can stop a blowout, but if it happens I don't think it's as bad as most make it out to be as long as you remain calm and don't start maneuvering before you safely can. E.i. turning off the road quickly into another car. If your tire blows and it's taking you into a concrete wall or railing and youre just going to sides wipe it and damage your car, take that over hitting another car. That's what insurance for.

#19 ·
I'm no statistician, but the "then vs now" argument does not take into account the increased number of vehicles on the road, changes in speed limits and most of all, the number of distracted drivers on the road. I am amazed at the number of people on their cell phones including law enforcement. I am not a risk-averse person, but mitigating my own risk is one thing, trying to mitigate someone else's is a varsity sport.

I'm very satisfied with my full roll cage.

#21 ·
Locking Clip

Like Scott said in a post above - the locking-clip will work when there is a non-clicking retracting seatbelt.

I actually pulled my seat bottom, to preserve it. I put put the seat on a pillow. Then I put my weight on the seat to pull it tight with the seat belt. I was able to get mine pretty rock solid.

Attached is a picture……..

FLAGG

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.