Defender weight balance? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 5th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Defender weight balance?

Hey guys,

Is a defender typically balanced right to left? I have noticed lately that when I give my shocks a perfectly equal amount of pressure the truck leans a little to the drivers side. My truck came with the passenger seat mounted fuel tank that was pretty heavy. So it got me thinking, the battery box is on the drivers side, was the tank on the left meant to balance things out? I have also mounted my air tank on the right side so I am wondering if that makes it worse. Has anyone weighed a D side to side? Maybe its time to redistribute some weight?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 5th, 2006, 06:08 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Not sure if this relevant or not, but when you get the OME springs, they tell you to put the longer ones on the driver side....
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old August 5th, 2006, 08:43 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

I always try to pack mine as balanced as possible when going on trips... but I have noticed when unloaded and my Excel long range tank is full (passenger side) the truck will lean to that side. No problem for me because my water tank is on the other side but I see your point and thought of it while deciding on this setup
I think the way these coil sprung utes are setup a little weight difference can make them tilt. And I bet your springs are quite flexy. But I also don;t think it matters much. Although for you Buck it may due to your propensity tro drive where trucks should not . I would think for your puropses you should try to mount things equally espicially while trying the gnarly stuff, that little difference may save you from going over some day.

Just a thought, Have you looked to see if anything is bent?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 6th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Good advice. Everything is straight, actually, I just straigtened everything out after bending some things. As far as balancing things, I could move the airtank but it would be very difficult now. It feels like about 25 lb or so. Plus I have the heavy end of the Hi lift on the other side which is probably around 15. Thats really the only change I can make, except for makinga storage cubby out of the passenger seatbox, which I plan to do sometime. Whats odd, is that it looks like the passenger side would be heavier, just the way the t-case looks.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old August 7th, 2006, 06:13 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

try throwing it on the scales at a truck stop. A couple of the scales locally are wide enough (for a D90) to drive on side ways over the front / rear split in the scale ( the operator will probably think you are nuts). The 90's that I have weighed are all heavier on the passenger side.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht