Defender USA engine swap - best option - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 18th, 2016, 10:09 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towns03 View Post
thanks for the input everyone! is there a consensus on the best place to source a rebuilt 200 or 300tdi? and will that mate up with my 177 or will I need a transmission too?
The most experienced and trustworthy seller you can find. Just don't assume that if they own a shop they know more than you do or that they care. It's a big investment when you consider the time element. Find someone that respects that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2016, 11:12 PM
LakeLBJ
CC
SOLD - 1987 D90 LHD / 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
DO NOT buy one from the guy in Portland, OR. He goes by Zack Monsieur and several other names.

AFAIK, both the 200 & 300 were used in Defenders and Discoveries. You can transplant, but some of the parts are different.

Good luck!
Zak (Zombie Motors) is now in Georgia. Or at least he was back in September 15 when I was shopping for a 200TDI. I didn't buy one from him, but I did speak with him. I stayed away from him because he was the "you better buy this engine soon because it's going to sell real quick" guy. I don't like to do business with people that sell that way.

But...I did buy one from the other guy that everyone hates, and it worked out fine. It's a crapshoot buying a used rover engine, unless you are expert and can travel to see the motor and compression test it yourself and crack it open.... From my research, there is no one seller from this board that everyone loves...I sincerely hope it works out for you.
Old May 18th, 2016, 11:19 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Rovers North also offers engine kits. Hit up Zack for the details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2016, 08:06 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Rovers North also offers engine kits. Hit up Zack for the details.
X2

I make these comments as a reminder as I think we, at least me, can get wound up and excited and start making too many noob assumptions. Don't.

My purchase turned into a nightmare. The turbo was shot, the trans was shot, the radiator was shot, all hoses and lines were shot, the head was twisted, the glow plugs were shot and the injectors were shot. Yay! the Alt and starter seem to be working okay so far but the jury is still out on the injection pump.

Beware and try as much as possible to know what you are buying. Don't assume people selling this stuff have done the leg work, even if they make it sound like they know what they're talking about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 29th, 2017, 02:13 PM
DCG
David
1984 110 CSW 3.5 V8 LHD

New option... Australian made LS1:

V12 LS1 - Aluminum V12 Made From GM LS V8
Old September 29th, 2017, 03:35 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Rover 3.9L V8 baby!

Old September 29th, 2017, 04:31 PM
spikemd
Ted
2001 P38, 2006 LR3, 1991 109

Cummins 2.8l turbo Repower crate engine went on sale today for $9k. Only 500 engines available right now. I'm seriously considering buying one.
Old September 29th, 2017, 04:54 PM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Our suburban =13 years and 200k miles with zero problems mechanically. If it needs something I take it to a cheap shop anywhereUSA.

My LR's take thought and planning, Rover friends and this site to keep them on the road.

I think of them like employees. One shows up to work everyday without fail. The other calls in sick twice a week and there's always a different excuse.
I gotta say, I just started reading this thread and came upon this brilliant response. Literally had me laughing out loud,...and I haven't even had one beer yet. Probably one of the funniest, most accurate descriptions of LR ownership. I love it!
Old September 29th, 2017, 05:08 PM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post
New option... Australian made LS1:

V12 LS1 - Aluminum V12 Made From GM LS V8
Hmmm......wonder how this would be in my 130.....
Old October 19th, 2017, 12:21 PM
subhunter
Bob
1982 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikemd View Post
Cummins 2.8l turbo Repower crate engine went on sale today for $9k. Only 500 engines available right now. I'm seriously considering buying one.
Did you pull the trigger? What are you putting it in?
Old October 19th, 2017, 05:21 PM
east high
Gerad Davis
1967/s2a 88 200Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeLBJ View Post
Zak (Zombie Motors) is now in Georgia. Or at least he was back in September 15 when I was shopping for a 200TDI. I didn't buy one from him, but I did speak with him. I stayed away from him because he was the "you better buy this engine soon because it's going to sell real quick" guy. I don't like to do business with people that sell that way.

But...I did buy one from the other guy that everyone hates, and it worked out fine. It's a crapshoot buying a used rover engine, unless you are expert and can travel to see the motor and compression test it yourself and crack it open.... From my research, there is no one seller from this board that everyone loves...I sincerely hope it works out for you.
I was wondering what happened to him. His shop was down the street from me, but like most things around here it was torn down to make way for more generic apartments. I bought some 16" Series wheels off him years ago with no problems to report.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender, engine