defender twin carb wont start - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 23rd, 2015, 09:47 AM
bonelesscandy
spencer
86 defender 110

defender twin carb wont start

So im at my whits end with this defender. a little backround, the coustomer brought us this car and I rebuilt the engine and we put an all new ignition system in with a proline distributor. the first one went out on me n we had to put in a new one. I think its because the ignition module is mounted on the distributor and is just getting to hot. the last distributor worked for a whyle then he was driving it on the highway and poped out of high gear. he pulled off the side of the road to put it back in n couldn't get it started again. the ignition module went out again. now we have another new one. im getting spark and it reaks of fuel and I haven't ben able to start it for the last few days. I left the plugs out overnight and It still wont start. im about to go get a compression tester but I don't think that's the problem I think the fuel bowls are flooded or something but there isn't much info for this engine. I don't know how to adjust the fuel level in the bowls. its a twin carb v8. I honestly think im about to loose my job because of this and I have no idea what else to do. please I need help im going crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2015, 09:55 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
I wouldnt spend too much time or money on those carbs. Get the edelbrock intake manifold for a buick 215 and drop an Edelbrock 1406 carb.. Better performance and reliability.
Old July 23rd, 2015, 10:05 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
I wouldnt spend too much time or money on those carbs. Get the edelbrock intake manifold for a buick 215 and drop an Edelbrock 1406 carb.. Better performance and reliability.
X2!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0032.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	125648  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2015, 10:05 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
While John has good advice, I understand its not your truck and your job might be on the line. Have you checked to see if the diaphragms in the carbs are ok ? Is there oil in the pots on the carbs ? The diaphragm is meant to react to the increased vacuum and increase fueling. The oil in the pot is meant to offer resistance to the rising diaphragm. The diaphragms are pretty easy to blow out if the truck backfires through the intake.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 23rd, 2015, 10:15 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

You can set the float level with a 3/8" drive extension lying across the top of the bowl when it's upside down.
If you have the older style brass needle and seat toss them and replace with ones that have a viton tipped needle.
Moss Motors use to have something called a GROSE-JET which is even better still.

You probably have 2 separate issues.
The distributor issue which is a crummy design to begin with and the floats overflowing fuel into the manifold.
Be careful because if you crank it and fill the exhaust with gasoline fumes and get a strong spark to a cylinder, it could ignite the works, blow up the exhaust - the muffler will explode and rip apart at the seams.

This is probably the last thing you want to hear, but the only thing we do with a Rover V8 when it gives trouble is hook an engine hoist to it and pull it out of the vehicle to make room for a diesel.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old July 23rd, 2015, 10:27 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Personally I think the twin carb design is ludicrous. They took a proven american engine and trashed the proven 4bbl intake and went to the convoluted twin carb setup and a Lucas distributor for decreased economy and performance.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old July 23rd, 2015, 10:31 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Why not go Edelbrock and be done with it? Worth a try, as the 'bones' are good.

Old July 23rd, 2015, 11:01 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
I get Dougs point but If the guy has already paid to have the entire motor rebuilt its worth the noticeable improvement in performance to go to a 4bbl.
Old July 23rd, 2015, 11:09 AM
bonelesscandy
spencer
86 defender 110

well we probably will switch to a 4 barrel but im stuck with what I got right now. I checked the diaphrams and there ok. I drained all the fuel that was in both small tubes I hope that's a good thing cuz they were almost full. I don't really understand how to adj. the fuel bowls I am gonna need some pictures to figure that out I don't understand what u were talking about a 3/8 upsidedown or whatever to adjust fuel bowl but I cant see how to do that im sorry I don't have any experience with these.
Old July 23rd, 2015, 11:18 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonelesscandy View Post
well we probably will switch to a 4 barrel but im stuck with what I got right now. I checked the diaphrams and there ok. I drained all the fuel that was in both small tubes I hope that's a good thing cuz they were almost full. I don't really understand how to adj. the fuel bowls I am gonna need some pictures to figure that out I don't understand what u were talking about a 3/8 upsidedown or whatever to adjust fuel bowl but I cant see how to do that im sorry I don't have any experience with these.
You can google how to set the float level on a Stromberg or we can schedule a quick call.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old July 23rd, 2015, 11:25 AM
bonelesscandy
spencer
86 defender 110

having the name of the carb definitely helps. im gonna go mess with it somemore if I get stuck again I might need to call u. thank you so much ill keep u posted.
Old July 23rd, 2015, 11:36 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
zenith stromberg tech tips

Dividing Creek Imports

Old July 23rd, 2015, 01:17 PM
bonelesscandy
spencer
86 defender 110

hay r davis do u think we could arrange a phone call?
Old July 23rd, 2015, 01:32 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonelesscandy View Post
hay r davis do u think we could arrange a phone call?
PM sent with number.

Old July 23rd, 2015, 01:46 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Float Level Setting
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	float_adjustment.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	125659   Click image for larger version

Name:	float level.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	125660  

Name:	BendixCarburator-SettingFloatLevel.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	125661  

Old September 8th, 2015, 02:38 PM
DPdotCOM
Dan Pollock
1983 Defender 3 Door

Hey guys, i have an 1983 v8 w/ the twin carb setup and when it runs, it runs great. Hard to tell if it's down on power after all these years, but I can get her up to 75 or 80 on the highway.

That said, the carbs have been giving me a bit of hell.

On cold starts, i have to give it a lot of love, a balance of choke, usually a few failed attempts, and then like 25% of the time, i'm well on my way to flooding it, so I'm turning it over with the pedal floored to give it the air it needs.

the last couple of times i've taken the truck out, it's started fine, then died about half a mile in. It seems to behave like it's flooded. I give it 30-45 minutes with a few failed attempts mixed in, and eventually it'll go again. Sometimes dying again, sometimes not.

Then, i had a situation this weekend where it did the same die-10-minutes-in situation, got it going, i drove it around all day. numerous stops, ran fine, then randomly cut out on me at a stoplight. After a bit I got it started, but then it would only hold idle while I wasn't moving. As soon as I tried to drive, if I let it go back to an idle it would die. I had to get it the mile home through numerous intersections, keeping the revs up the entire time.

Does this sound like a carb tuning issue? And is this something I should fiddle with when I've got no experience or just take it into a shop?
Old September 9th, 2015, 07:29 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPdotCOM View Post
Hey guys, i have an 1983 v8 w/ the twin carb setup and when it runs, it runs great. Hard to tell if it's down on power after all these years, but I can get her up to 75 or 80 on the highway. That said, the carbs have been giving me a bit of hell. On cold starts, i have to give it a lot of love, a balance of choke, usually a few failed attempts, and then like 25% of the time, i'm well on my way to flooding it, so I'm turning it over with the pedal floored to give it the air it needs. the last couple of times i've taken the truck out, it's started fine, then died about half a mile in. It seems to behave like it's flooded. I give it 30-45 minutes with a few failed attempts mixed in, and eventually it'll go again. Sometimes dying again, sometimes not. Then, i had a situation this weekend where it did the same die-10-minutes-in situation, got it going, i drove it around all day. numerous stops, ran fine, then randomly cut out on me at a stoplight. After a bit I got it started, but then it would only hold idle while I wasn't moving. As soon as I tried to drive, if I let it go back to an idle it would die. I had to get it the mile home through numerous intersections, keeping the revs up the entire time. Does this sound like a carb tuning issue? And is this something I should fiddle with when I've got no experience or just take it into a shop?
Have you checked the fluid levels in the pots? I've used miracle oil and it seemed to help. Once tuned and dialed in they actually run well, but still shit compared to a Holley.

Old September 9th, 2015, 08:01 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Fluid in the pots controls how quickly the richness changes on acceleration.

when dealing with 32 year old carburators you need some diagnostic abilities. Sound like you may be better off finding a decent shop to tune it up

Dividing Creek Imports

Old September 9th, 2015, 08:16 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Wow lots of dashpot hate here. Actually, I think they are pretty good carbs when they are tuned properly. You do need an air flow gauge to do it right as both pots have to be in perfect sync. I can understand why Rover went with these. They are good solid reliable carbs that don't have all the stupid Holley issues and were widely used on lots of European cars in those days. The air cleaner plumbing is a marvel of Rube Goldberg more-is-more engineering.
Anyway, I always used ATF in the dashpots. There are as many opinions on what to use as there are tuners, so as long as you aren't using 90wt you're prolly OK. Also be sure the needle is SUPER CLEAN and has no gum or varnish on it. I also found that a spritz of silicone inside the dashpot helped the piston go up and down.
Doug it would seem they are using an electronic diz if they are using up ignition modules.
The heat thing is an old wives tale. These things can take way more heat than the engine can possibly put out.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old September 9th, 2015, 08:25 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Bill,
I was responding to Don down the road from you in DC with problems. This is an older thread and he just posted his problems

Dividing Creek Imports

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender, start