Defender Transfer Box Service - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 11th, 2013, 07:54 AM
BeardBob
Chris
97 Defender 90 County Van

Defender Transfer Box Service

Hi all,

I have had a look on the forum and cannot find anyone with the same issue as myself... I completed a service on my 1997 300tdi Defender 90 this weekend and it was all going swimmingly until I came to change the oil in the Transfer box.

I drained the oil as normal then began to top it up with EP90. As far as i believe it is filled up like the gear box and diffs.. i.e. fill up until oil begins to dribble out of the filling hole.

I drained around 2l (as expected) but as I was filling it up it has taken around 4l and still wasn't coming outta the fill hole. According to my spec i believe the capacity is 2.3l. I was CONFUSED?!?! to the extent that i quickly removed and replaced the drain plug to make sure it was going in the right place!! At 4l i decided to .

Any suggestions?!?!?!?!?!

I'm baffled..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Maybe it's refilling the secret reserve tank so it can leak more later.
Just wondering if you are using half litre not litre bottles or have overdrive fitted.
Check the gearbox level while you are at it. There shouldn't be any ability to cross fill one to other but I'm always up for a surprise.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 11th, 2013, 08:23 AM
BeardBob
Chris

I'd like to think it was filling a reserve!!
It is all completely original and no overdrive fitted.
I was using a 5l drum of EP90 and it was very low when I eventually gave up. I would tend to agree with the cross contamination but theoretically it should never be able to happen.. and also the EP90 that i quickly drained was a light green colour with no hint of the red ATF in it... Suppose I'd better check the gear box oil level for completeness...

I was half expecting to find it had dribbled out and flowed down the exhaust like some sort of great escape.. but no convicts were seen anywhere....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2013, 08:54 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Except that it would be an incredible waste, you can re-drain and fill and compare this time. My guess is you were just low before. Maybe drive a few hundred miles and then re -drain? Think of it as a "flush"
Old November 11th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

It's a mystery unless the jug was 5 qt not liters.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 11th, 2013, 10:17 AM
BeardBob
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
It's a mystery unless the jug was 5 qt not liters.
Yeah... That's why i'm so confused. (It was defo 5L jug)
Old November 11th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Question....where are you filling the t-box at? The fill plug is on the back face of the casting, behind the park brake assy. There is a temp switch blanking plug on the left side of the case, higher up. If you have mistakenly identified this as the fill plug, I could see you getting 4l into the case and it still not being full.
Old November 11th, 2013, 11:44 AM
BeardBob
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsiderob View Post
Question....where are you filling the t-box at? The fill plug is on the back face of the casting, behind the park brake assy. There is a temp switch blanking plug on the left side of the case, higher up. If you have mistakenly identified this as the fill plug, I could see you getting 4l into the case and it still not being full.
Hmm...... this does seem about right. (insert profanity of your choice ) I will have to double check when I am next at home. If this is the case.... am I able to just drain it through the normal drain plug (as it was filling it up when i took the drain plug out) and top up via the PROPER filling point? or is it more complicated than this????
Old November 11th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Why not find the proper fill plug (on the back, near the parking brake) & drain it from there? Assuming you overfilled that will get you to the proper level.
R-
Ray
Old November 11th, 2013, 11:51 AM
BeardBob
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
Why not find the proper fill plug (on the back, near the parking brake) & drain it from there? Assuming you overfilled that will get you to the proper level.
R-
Ray
But have i not filled the casting rather than the bit that needs the oil???? not sure about the internals of the t-box....
Old November 11th, 2013, 12:12 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
What they are saying is if you filled it via the wrong plug, the level is higher than the proper fill plug. So if you now open the proper fill plug then the excess fluid will come out. When it stops, re-insert the proper fill plug and you are done. The excess that comes out should be the amount you think you were over by.
Old November 11th, 2013, 12:16 PM
BeardBob
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
What they are saying is if you filled it via the wrong plug, the level is higher than the proper fill plug. So if you now open the proper fill plug then the excess fluid will come out. When it stops, re-insert the proper fill plug and you are done. The excess that comes out should be the amount you think you were over by.
Ahh!! Ok..... now i understand! . That saves a lot of faff!

I thought i was going mad!

Thankyou everyone for your posts!

Old November 11th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

My '97 Lt230Q filler is on the back and I fill it till it dribbles too. It does take about 4 quarts. More than the book says, but when I had it off this summer (repairing the 4HP22), I was expecting about 2 quarts but it just kept on cummin' out. I last filled it in 2002 with Royal Purple, of which I bought a case. I'd forgotten how much was in there.

PS Why does gear oil stink so bad ??
Old November 12th, 2013, 06:51 PM
BeardBob
Chris

I do know that EP90 and oils of that sort have an additive that normally contains phosphorus or sulfurous compounds (the same smell u get that comes out of volcano) but it's highly corrosive to copper and brass. .hence why its not used everywhere. That is why it absolutely reaks! And nearly makes me gag! Overalls in the wash straight away job!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender, service