Defender tail light wiring connectors - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 28th, 2009, 02:02 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Defender tail light wiring connectors

Long term I need connectors to fit the lights below, but does anyone have any suggestions for a quick wiring job to get these wired up well enough to make a short trip to the MAR and back (they are for my trailer)? They need to be something I can source locally as I don't think I have time to get anything shipped. I was thinking small speaker wire connectors, although these pins are pretty small.

Follow-up Post:

It looks like these are newer defender / NAS spec style connectors. Does anyone now what the name of this type of connector is called? RN lists them but not just the connectors (I'm not paying $150 for a wading kit).

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/c-193-rear-lights.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lights1.sized.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	21797   Click image for larger version

Name:	lights2.sized.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	21798  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2009, 02:36 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Here in the UK you can get them from Vehicle wiring products (bottom of the page), shipping would only take a few days i'd have thought?

OR on ebay....
Old September 28th, 2009, 06:59 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

you can buy just the repair kits from RN and they aren't expensive like the wading kit. I don't have the part #'s as I am at home lounging on the couch....feeling lazy, but I keep them in stock.....so they must be relatively cheap. Seems like almost every Defender I get in the shop needs at least one!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2009, 07:00 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Thats where I got mine, it did arrive pretty fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim
Here in the UK you can get them from Vehicle wiring products (bottom of the page), shipping would only take a few days i'd have thought?

OR on ebay....
Old September 28th, 2009, 08:38 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Thanks guys. Yeah it's no fault but my own that I didn't think to get these sooner but don't want to take the chance they wont come on time so I'd like to come up with a temporary alternative. Maybe I'll see if AB or RN have the 2 way versions just in case.

thanks,
charles
Old September 28th, 2009, 08:51 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

http://www.autosparks.co.uk/index.php?cPath=94&page=4

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old September 28th, 2009, 08:54 AM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/8958ABP.cfm

Here ya go.

Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 28th, 2009, 09:04 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Hehe, you beat me to it - just found them. Yes that should do. Will email to see what overnighting them will cost.

I swear searching for "harness repair kit" didn't work until using "harness +repair +kit" but when I try now it works. AB really needs to improve their search otherwise I bet people will do what I invariably do (other than emailing you) which is go to the RN site...

Thanks,
charles
Old September 28th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
AB search has always sucked for me. I have given up in the past and went to RN for that same reason.

Quick hijack, I bought a reverse switch for my R380 just before I deployed. I installed it while on leave, and the switch had a 2 wire weatherproof quick connector that looks exactly like the link you just posted. My original wiring looked like it had been modified at some point, and I have junked the original connector, so now I have a proper quick connector on the switch, and 2 wires that need a connector.

Does the connector that was just posted for the repair kit work on this switch, and if not, where I can get the proper other end for it? This is the switch: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/AMR3918G.cfm
Old September 28th, 2009, 10:49 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Mark, I think you meant AB search sucked for you. I've always had problems with their site too. With RN you can find pretty much anything, but AB appears to have much less. I always just call if I have the time, but if I have to make a quick internet order, I admit I do use the RN site.

Old September 28th, 2009, 10:53 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

BTW the aftermarket ones AB sells are actually better than the factory ones RN sells. Of course, if it were me I would just buy a couple of the 1993/94 lights like that that have the built in harness with the two bullet connectors rather than go through all the trouble of making a harness. The whole assembly is $12.

http://www.roversdownsouth.com/defender-lamps.htm top left corner

Ron
Old September 28th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Yes, typo on my part. I meant AB search sucks. After reading this post, I now know that I need to use the "+" symbol to join words. I write SQL and would have never guessed that. Not common on internet. AB needs to add a search tips pop up.
Old September 28th, 2009, 11:17 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yeah it's funny because I'm a developer and have built various search systems (not just sql but full text and object databases as well) and it took me a long time to even bother trying different searching styles as the last thing I expected was a consumer facing e-commerce website would need anything but the raw keywords (which typically get "and"ed for you). But to be honest I think it was a fluke as I can't seem to get it to do anything intelligent with various search modifiers I have tried.

Ron, you are absolutely right. I had a box of lights which I thought had everything I needed, and left it to the last minute before realizing I didn't. In retrospect the complete assemblies would have been a better deal, possibly even with rush shipping. Oh well, shame on me. First clutch purchase of the project and hopefully the last.
Old September 28th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
I offered you the box of lights while you were here. Can't blame me!

Follow-up Post:

Oh, and make sure the lights you have fit in the existing holes you have in the tub. I know the ones that Ron is recommending (which I like better as well) have a slightly smaller diameter. And they screw to the body in three spots, as opposed to two spots with the newer versions. I can't remember what your tub was already set up for.
Old September 28th, 2009, 01:24 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yeah I suck. And yeah I realized mine where too large a diameter too, so I just bought a set of the ones with a smaller diameter from AB since I had started the order there already.

Not sure about the difference in location though. My tub has the two holes near the top of the cappings, but only two.
Old September 28th, 2009, 01:31 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Since you have a series tub, the three hole ones will fit. If it was a north american 109, originally, they would have come with the larger lucas lights with the chrome bases, but those lights are expensive ie $92.65 each.

http://www.roversdownsouth.com/series-lamps.htm

532809 Red L692 $92.65

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, wiring