Defender SW Side Window Configurations? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 21st, 2007, 10:43 PM
PCRover
Gary Young
'94 90ST -> SW

Defender SW Side Window Configurations?

How many diferent SW rear side window configurations are there? I have seen sliders with a riveted on frame and some that do not appear riveted in place. Maybe the rivets are painted black?

What about solid side windows? I have seen what looks like a slider window frame with a fixed single pane glass in it. Was that ever a factory configuration, or just someones own doing?

What did the NAS SW come with?
Advertisement

Old November 22nd, 2007, 12:44 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
SW windows

Hi,

When I put my hardtop together for my ST I want solid windows (no sliders). They are simple, never leak, zero maint and easy to install. NAS station wagons come stock with slider windows. I bought roof sides that had no windows and installed the glass out of a crapped out fiberglass HT and used it for my roof sides and alpine windows. When my truck is in the HT config no one rides in the cargo area - so I really don't need any ventilation back there and if it gets too hot that open windows aren't doing the trick - I turn on the AC. I have attached a couple pics of my HT that shows the details of the glass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rs.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	11126   Click image for larger version

Name:	ht.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	11127  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 22nd, 2007, 12:58 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The rivets on the sliding station wagon windows are covered by a rubber strip. Sometimes this strip is missing. New station wagons have a new style sliding side window, but I don't think any of those came to the states.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 22nd, 2007, 01:42 PM
PCRover
Gary Young
'94 90ST -> SW

Thanks for the response Len, couple of questions. What color Red is that in your truck, and what seal did you use to install the windows? I have the sliders now, but it is tempting to go to the solid glass instead.

Thanks Jim, that makes sense as I look closer to mine now. I don't have that rubber strip, but will definately get it if I go with the sliders. I don't like the dotted rivet look around the frame...
Old November 22nd, 2007, 03:33 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Seals & color

Hi Gary,

The seals are the same rubber seals used to hold in the alpine windows and rear quarter windows in the roof sides. It is available from Rovers North by the foot. You will also need the rubber spline that expands the channel and hold the window in place. There is a special tool used to install the spline - I don't own this tool - I made a tool to do the job - but it was a hack tool. Contact JimC - he got one and made the job of installing his alpine windows very easy. I think he got it from MCMaster Carr. I don't know the name of the tool but he will. There is no extra sealing materials for the window - you just use a lot of soapy water in a spray bottle to lube the roof sides and rubber to overcome the friction of squeezing the glass into the rubber seals.

My truck is a '97 it is Monza red. When the roof sides were first painted they were much brighter than factory Monza. Hence they look very red in those pics. After a month or so of "dry down" (outgassing) the paint closely matched the color of my truck. I used Dupont Chroma One - it is a single stage paint- it works very well. When some one dinged my right front wing ( they changed lanes into my truck) and I had to replace it, I took my truck down to the shop where I buy my automotive paint and had them "read" the color of my damaged wing. Then when they mixed it, After I sprayed it and it dried down it was a near dead on match to the rest of my truck - . Good luck on what ever you decide to do - don't hesitate to contact me if you need any help. you can always get a hold of me through my americandirtroads.com web site.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 22nd, 2007, 05:33 PM
PCRover
Gary Young
'94 90ST -> SW

Thanks for all the info! My 94 is being repainted Portofino Red as that was the factory color, but I think I like the Monza Red better.

Did you have custom glass cut, or purchase an OE LR piece?

Do you mean a tool like this one?
Attached Images

Old November 22nd, 2007, 10:54 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Nope, a tool like this one:

Its a YA208A from Bluepoint/Snap-on
Attached Images

Old November 23rd, 2007, 12:05 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCRover
Thanks for all the info! My 94 is being repainted Portofino Red as that was the factory color, but I think I like the Monza Red better.

Did you have custom glass cut, or purchase an OE LR piece?

Do you mean a tool like this one?

My glass is LR OEM. I bought it used from a guy who could not sell his D 90 fiberglass hard top. It had been cut in half right behind the B pillar roll bar. He couldn't sell it to anyone - so I offered to buy the glass, seals, and all of the hardware. I had to buy the lift gate glass from RN. My lift gate is from a '64 series IIa truck and the glass from the fiberglass lift gate is much bigger than the old lift gate.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
window