Defender suspension advice - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 13th, 2009, 09:25 AM
defendercr
gene bagley
2006 defender 110

Defender suspension advice

I have a 2006 Defender 110. At this point it is bone stock. I am happy with the height of the suspension in the rear (although I feel it is a harsh ride as the truck is usually lightly loaded and driven on rough roads) but want to raise the front to level it out and also add a bumper and winch. If I add a kit such as a complete OME, do I end up with the rear higher still? Other than the bumper and winch the truck will be driven lightly loaded. I am lookng to smooth the ride out some at the same time. Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2009, 09:34 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

First off welcome to the board, secondly if you are looking for a softer ride then don't get heavy duty springs, Old Man Emu offers many different combinations and there are several vendors that can help you decide on the amount of lift and stiffness to suit your application. Minor adjustments in ride height can be made by installing rubber spring isolators on the front or rear. Pura Vida.
Old July 13th, 2009, 10:24 AM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
110 Suspension

I just replaced all the suspension in my '93 NAS D110. I too wanted to keep the standard height.

I ended up staying with OEM springs in the front and added OME 752 springs for the rear. I just did a 1,600 mile loop through the Southwestern U.S. with a lot of off-road driving. Also carried a full load of camping gear and extra fuel. I was VERY happy with the new set up.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2009, 12:10 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Check the Expedition Exchange web site, there is
a lot of information on OME products. Check your truck
height before doing any mod, it will be your reference
starting point.

Suerte
Old July 13th, 2009, 05:10 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

On my 110 (Td5 SW), i've got a warn 8274 and a BRB bar (copy of the ARB nudgebar/winch assy), quite heavy.

I just use stock 90 rear springs (Which is the factory fit "110 HD front" spring, or standard 130 front spring)

This gives more or less the same ride height as stock, but with the added weight of the winch and bar.

and is cheap. very cheap, especially compared to OME (which are good springs, i love them, but the factory OE stuff can't be beaten for value)

On the back i have factory HD outer springs and the 130 "inner" smaller springs, which give a true dual rating and when empty, it's fairly soft too.
Old July 15th, 2009, 04:32 PM
defendercr
gene bagley
2006 defender 110

Thanks for the advice.
Old July 16th, 2009, 01:43 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Welcome Gene!

I don't think you can trust anyone's advice here on your springs without pictures of your rig posted.

Ok just kidding, I just want to see pictures
Old July 16th, 2009, 07:01 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

What I am doing is mounting a 4 shocks outboard (not inside the spring coils) so that I can fit airbags on all 4 corners. If you did something similar an fitted much softer springs it would allow you to vary the rebound rate based on how much load you have and the kind of surface you have.
I am thinking about playing around with forced articulation on mine since I am curious how
much more of a grade it would enable crossing at an angle
even with a loaded roof rack, something that can be pretty terrifying

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions