Defender stock headlight bulbs - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 9th, 2013, 01:20 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Defender stock headlight bulbs

So I was just about to attempt to add a headlight relay harness. I opened the bonnet thinking I'd find normal 7" lamps with just a plug I could pull off, and I found a big bowl instead. So I moved to the front and noticed that the lamps are not 7" like H6024 or something, but they are H4 inside of glass lens.

Is this stock for Defenders, even old ones? Or has someone upgraded these to H4?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Sounds like someone swapped them. I know that Hella makes a stock looking H4, I believe Sylvania does as well. Hopefully they installed a relay, but many (most) didn't... Good way to burn out light swiches if the wattage was increased... Glad to hear you are putting in a relay--that is on my list when I get around to some rewiring of my electrical...
Old November 9th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Yes, sounds like you already have better headlights; now you just have to run 2 relays and wire the lights to the battery.
Trevor G had a great post(on dweb) about doing this when I did mine.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Sealed beam headlights!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 9th, 2013, 04:20 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Jafir,
I just checked mine and I can see the halogen bulbs in mine too.
Old November 9th, 2013, 06:40 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

It's stock for ROW from the best of my knowledge.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old November 9th, 2013, 08:20 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
So I've got bowls behind the headlights and the wiring goes through it. It looks very stock: Click image for larger version

Name:	image-324644767.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	83871 But I pulled them out and they have very long harnesses that connect to the factory stuff with bullet connectors and the extra harness length is just bound up with zip ties. So I'm guessing it's an upgrade, just a very common one. I'm not sure exactly what my next move will be, as I cannot plug into the "factory" style bulb connector, because it's sealed in that bowl. So I'll probably have to splice into the wires, which I was trying not to do. If I was going to do that, I'd have just made my own relay harness instead of buying one on amazon.
Old November 9th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Michael110
Michael Dickin
1986 110 Tithonus - Now Sadly Sold

Registry
That looks pretty normal for an Ex MOD 110. May have originally had sealed beam units, but once the MOD got the Wolf they will probably have upgraded most of the existing fleet. My Tithonus has lights just the same, but the silvering has degraded on one of the existing Wipac reflector units so I'm replacing them both with Hella units from Rovers North tomorrow.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 01:15 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

What did you guys end up doing? Did you replace the harness from the bullet connectors forward? If so, where did you source the connectors?

I had originally planned on using the ARB heavy duty harness, same one that I used on my 94 NAS, but discovered today that I have the bullet connectors and the sealed bulbs.

/
/
/
/
Old August 31st, 2014, 01:03 AM
Beaver87
Alistair Davidson
Ex MOD '86 90 12j

My front right headlight does not work on normal beam. High beam works fine. The low beam part of the bulb looks fine and the headlight fuse is still in tact. Any ideas on how to remedy the situation?
Old August 31st, 2014, 01:13 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaver87 View Post
My front right headlight does not work on normal beam. High beam works fine. The low beam part of the bulb looks fine and the headlight fuse is still in tact. Any ideas on how to remedy the situation?
Swap the L&R headlight - if problem goes away it is the light, if problem remains it is likely the wiring,

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender, ht