Defender rims onto Sankey - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 4th, 2012, 11:57 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Defender rims onto Sankey

Is the lug pattern on a Sankey trailer compatible with a Defender? Specifically the Wolf rims?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 5th, 2012, 02:27 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

yes.
Old April 5th, 2012, 09:54 AM
oldgreentrucks
Jim Pace

You may find a clearance problem with the offset? Mine rubbed against the spring on the inside. If spaced out the added width extends way beyond the bed. May need to add flairs? Not just a bolt on item.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 5th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Is the lug pattern on a Sankey trailer compatible with a Defender? Specifically the Wolf rims?

Have wolf's on mine with 235/85's. They do prutrude past the body as Jim indicates, but no rubbing. My plan is to add rear flares off a defender like Jay did on his. I just picked up a 130 canvas yesterday in the Midland's (needed the hoopset for the project 130) that I'm going to have cut down for use on my trailer. Spent a few mins yesterday with paint stripper on my replacement tub prepping it for galvanizing. Can't have Lavendar catching up.....

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old April 5th, 2012, 10:31 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
That's funny, I was actually just talking to Jay about his trailer...specifically the rack he used, since I want to do an RTT setup on it (similar to below pic#1 of his trailer, which shows the flares) until I have a chance to make a proper top (pic#2). Realistically, I know this project will be a couple years off...

Don't worry Doug, I've got quite a bit to do to catch up to you man!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0127.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	49960   Click image for larger version

Name:	TrailerRoof1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	49961  

'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old April 5th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I was going to go the route of using a 2a roof. I really liked Charles setup after borrowing it one weekend. Cabell has 2 series roofs laying around. Then I saw a friends m416 with a pickup truck ladder rack cut down to use as a rtt platform and I really liked its functionality. The bed of the trailer is completely accessable and the tent is perm fixed so there's no lifting a deployed tent to get to something in the trailer. I bought the same ladder rack @ pep boys and it fit the sankey with zero modification. I made two cross bars to link the two parts and create the base for the tent. Plan is to enclose the bed with the 130 canvas but have zippers on all four corners so the sides can be rolled up for access, The rack will act as the frame/hoopset. Hopefully, in a town full of marine canvas shops, I can find someone to make this a reality.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old April 5th, 2012, 11:49 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
I was going to go the route of using a 2a roof. I really liked Charles setup after borrowing it one weekend. Cabell has 2 series roofs laying around. Then I saw a friends m416 with a pickup truck ladder rack cut down to use as a rtt platform and I really liked its functionality. The bed of the trailer is completely accessable and the tent is perm fixed so there's no lifting a deployed tent to get to something in the trailer. I bought the same ladder rack @ pep boys and it fit the sankey with zero modification. I made two cross bars to link the two parts and create the base for the tent. Plan is to enclose the bed with the 130 canvas but have zippers on all four corners so the sides can be rolled up for access, The rack will act as the frame/hoopset. Hopefully, in a town full of marine canvas shops, I can find someone to make this a reality.
Yeah, that's a good call...with the RTT up and the lid down, means only access is from the tailgate (which can be an issue when at destination/camp). Maybe my "temp" solution of using a rack like Jay's will be a permanent and just have a tonneau-style cover made up to keep things dry if need be.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old April 5th, 2012, 12:50 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You can still open the lid on the trailer with the tent up (assuming no one is in the tent!)...would just recommend hinging the top to the side rather than forward

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
rims