Defender Repaint Single stage enamel or Base Clear - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

View Poll Results: What paint options would you choose?
Base Coat Clear Coat 7 33.33%
Single Stage Enamel 14 66.67%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 20th, 2008, 06:30 PM
SOUTHPAW26
Kelly
1994 D90-1993 NAS 110#280

Defender Repaint Single stage enamel or Base Clear

So I am probably going to repaint my 1993 NAS 110. It has some dings and some imperfections and I just want to bring back as close to new as I can. The thing is that I know the factory white wasa single stage enamel, but I am condsidering going with a base/clear coat paint. I just wonder what you guys would do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 20th, 2008, 07:39 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Depends on what you want to do with the truck... If you are a purist... go single stage. If you plan to keep it for ever, do what you want.

Old June 21st, 2008, 12:18 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You can get great single stage paints, no reason to go with base/clear if you are just concerned about shine, depth etc. LenB used Dupont Chromaone on the doors of my yellow truck, and they look like candy - I just wish the rest of the truck looked that good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 21st, 2008, 01:25 AM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

I have had both on different trucks and the nice thing about a clear coat is that it can be polished back to a shine. And also the color is allot deeper with a clear coat.

As it was said before it all depends on how much and what you want to do with the D.

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old June 21st, 2008, 08:32 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
IF you use a good high quality paint like PPG and use one of there very durable single stages, you will be fine. Single stage is easier if you need to paint a panel for repair in the future as well..
Old June 21st, 2008, 01:50 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

It's great to see this post come up as I've been contemplating the same thing. Seeing how I'd like to keep my D90 til I turn to dust, I was thinking about doing it in 2 stage. I've painted my Series III before in single stage (looks like crap to any expert in paint spraying) but thats mainly because I did it outdoors and the body wasn't as straight as it should of been. I also noticed that on the factory paint especially around the d90 tub, you notice some orange peel so it should give everyone who'd like to paint it themselves confidence that even the factory spray wasn't perfect either. I think the secret to painting d90 panels is that to do a great job, you have to paint them seperately, as in take the truck apart. You can take your time with each panel and not rush the job. I'm gonna prep it with good sanding and a good etch primer and spray each panel inside a canopy thats dust free with preferrably some kind of fan blowing air out. It would be a great time to practise color sanding and buffing as well. Hope I don't burn through the paint on the edges.

Follow-up Post:

I just drove by this jeep restoration near my house and the guy used a single stage orange paint on the firewall / bulkhead, it looked pretty damn good, it was just as glossy or almost as glossy as 2 stage. Might have to rethink using 2 stage.

Robert Deniro
Old June 21st, 2008, 02:58 PM
Monkeyboy

I voted single stage.

Unless you're going to take the whole thing apart to paint it, I doubt you'd be happy with the BC/CC.

Heck, just me, but even if it were all apart i'd stick with the o.e. paint finish.

KAA
Old June 21st, 2008, 05:12 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Hi,

I use Dupont automotive single stage paints - if you mix it correctly it is shinny from the get go. - and stays that way. It is easy to mix and use. (If you don't want a shinny look you can have your paint supplier provide an additive to reduce the shine). The beauty of single stage paint is the ability to easily remove fine scratches in the finish. Just buy some prof final cut rubbing compound and buff out the scratches till it looks new again. Also if you aren't real good at applying the paint you can wet sand to remove any imperfections (1200-1500 grit)/ hit it with the final cut rubbing compound and it looks like shinny candy. Prep is key... wet sand everything before you paint... because the paint is so shiny imperfection in the primer or base coats come right through. If applied correctly you don't have to do anything to the paint after it dries. I didn't have to take out any application errors on Jim's doors - and he is right - they look like candy!

Old June 21st, 2008, 05:45 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Haven't many of the forum members with trucks having clearcoat regretted it?

Whether the discussion is peeling, discoloration, or scratching, it seems we see a post every few months or so where clearcoat is the culprit.

This isn't to say clearcoat is bad paint, and maybe bad paint jobs were really to blame. But for a Rover, it seems like a high quality, non-clearcoat paint job is sufficient, if not preferable long-term.
Old June 21st, 2008, 06:30 PM
SOUTHPAW26
Kelly

I would not be painting the truck myself. I would be having it done professionally. I have restored quite a few cars and I do no think that a single stage enamel is superior in anyway to a BC/CC paint job. Enamel is yesterdays technology. Fine scratches can be easily buffed out of both with relative ease. The only reason I would even consider going with a single stage enamel is because it is what was on the truck from the factory. I dont know if it degrading to the truck to paint it with BC/CC instead of single stage. I wonder if LR still uses single stage on the new Defenders?
Old June 21st, 2008, 11:12 PM
Lesandjes
AndrewT
'93 NAS D110

What are you going to do with the paint thats on there now? Prep & paint over it? Or do you intend to strip it all off and start from scratch?

AndrewT
'93 NAS D110 #437
Old June 21st, 2008, 11:39 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I did mine in 2 stage paint. It is definitely a big improvement over the factory finish. If you are going to take the time and spend the money go 2 stage. No more dull hood for me.

97 D90 SW
Old June 21st, 2008, 11:39 PM
SOUTHPAW26
Kelly

I intend to have it preped very well and paint over the factory finish.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 01:08 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Sorry,

I am going to disagree with using clear coat over base. My Son drives a '98 Disco (factory dark metallic green) We come back after a 4 wheeling trip with scratches all over the trucks (Not the deep ones like manzanita pin striping) - I have an electric buffer - and I buff out both vehicles - my scratches pretty much vanish - his never leave.... (we hit the same bushes) ---- except he gets to remember them better than I ----- and it seams odd to complain about old school single stage paints on a truck that is about as old school as you are going to find on planet earth. Very few production cars are hand built - Defenders and most Ferraris - I think if Land Rover is taking all of that extra time and expenditure to hand build a truck and they still choose to use a single stage paint - they must have a pretty good reason. But who am I to talk - I am stupid enough to drive a truck with no ABS brakes, airbags, roll up windows or 5 mph bumpers.

Old June 22nd, 2008, 08:32 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHPAW26
I would not be painting the truck myself. I would be having it done professionally. I have restored quite a few cars and I do no think that a single stage enamel is superior in anyway to a BC/CC paint job. Enamel is yesterdays technology. Fine scratches can be easily buffed out of both with relative ease. The only reason I would even consider going with a single stage enamel is because it is what was on the truck from the factory. I dont know if it degrading to the truck to paint it with BC/CC instead of single stage. I wonder if LR still uses single stage on the new Defenders?
Just FYI most body shops won't spray single stage these days.
Getting single stage to look right is an art, and most shops now just spray base clear as it is much easier to get the results.
We use single stage on the Defenders that were that way from the factory and base/clear on the ones that were base clear. LR uses mostly base clear these days on Defenders.
So you may be limited by the shops in your area, finding one that can spray single stage right (or one that even will ) might be a tall order.
Your choice might be made for you. Make some calls before you get your heart set on single stage.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 10:53 PM
SOUTHPAW26
Kelly

Thanks for chiming in here Mike. I did also want to get your opinion. I can get the single stage sprayed if that is what I want. I am a dealer and I also do quite of bit of restoration work on cars so I do know quite a few people in the paint business. I prefer Base/Clear as I think it looks better longer but I just don't want to kill the integrity of the truck.
Old June 25th, 2008, 03:10 PM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

I could swear my 97 D90 came with CC.. or am I imagining it?
Old June 25th, 2008, 05:27 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Depending on the color it could have been BC from the factory.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old June 25th, 2008, 08:17 PM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

British Racing Green?
Old June 25th, 2008, 11:57 PM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

SouthPaw:
You are in Chattanooga. Contact Bill at TLR as he has someone that does the nicest single stage I have ever seen. He is also very reasonable from what I have been told.
He is not far from you and you can see the paint quality on the Dormobile he has listed for sale.

http://www.tntlr.com/vehicles.htm

Hope that helps.
Dendy

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
paint