Defender - Perentie parts, components, accessory compatibility Questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 10th, 2016, 12:37 PM
Defender - Perentie parts, components, accessory compatibility Questions

So after making all the calls to the proper people and adding up the costs, i've pretty much determined that a 110 Defender isnt practical to import and use in California. So, now that I am shifting my attention toward picking up AU Perentie over a UK Defender I got to wondering, what kind of compatibility would I be looking at for getting defender parts for the perentie?

Theres this:
[Quote/]Engine aside, the other major difference between a stock Land Rover Defender and the Perentie is an extra 100mm added to the width, to accommodate three soldiers sitting abreast in the cab. As standard the truck had a galvanized chassis, plus the wider chassis rails enabled the spare wheel to be slung on the underside out of sight. Another useful add on was an engine mounted air compressor supplied by Rockford 44.[Quote]
(source: The Land Rover Perentie … the Aussie Landie | Everything 44)

And after looking into the possibility of fitting a hard top to a Perentie GS I found out it has a slightly different wind screen- presumably to accomidate that extra 100mm.

But that got me to wondering, to what extent would/does that extra 100mm skew things? Would it effect internal mount sizes? Seat mounts? Center console? Dash board? The width of the bed? Rear door width?

I know theyre pretty much the same vehicle asside from what is under the bonnet and behind the skirt, but its got me wondering.

Old October 10th, 2016, 12:47 PM
2009 Range Rover
That wide cab is only for the 6x6. The normal 4wd has more or less the standard Land Rover body.

Old October 10th, 2016, 01:09 PM
Brian Morton
1991 Defender 110 "Blanca"
Originally Posted by johan View Post
That wide cab is only for the 6x6. The normal 4wd has more or less the standard Land Rover body.
What Johan said they are the same for the 110's
Here is one on the site for sale
Uncle Doug is also importing them and has posted about them.
Good luck with your search.
Old October 10th, 2016, 01:38 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
As Johan stated only the 6x6 variant is wider than a UK built truck, only the front fenders and the steering box and a few other minor bits were the same as 110's. Everything else on the 6x6x's was custom built in Australia by JLA. The two front bucket seats are the same as the 110's. pretty much nothing else.

If your intended use is on California street's the 6x6 may not be the best choice. Having driven/operated one I can tell you it is a heavy piece of machinery and road manners aren't its forte due to its cross country gearing.

The 4x4 110 variant uses the same body as the UK trucks with some neat modifications. I have a turbo charged 110 here also fitted with power steering as I told you in our emails. The 110 I have here cruises 70 mph and is quite quick away from a light.

Check this thread.
I pictured a 110 and a 6x6 side by side so that you could see that every single component except the front fenders is custom on the 6x6.
There were only 1200 Perentie 110's and only 26 of the double cab 6x6. I'm not sure of the total number of pick up cab 6x6's but there were less than 200 so a sum total of less than 1500 of all the variants. These trucks are being voraciously bought up with prices continuing to escalate with each auction (avg GS auction price has tripled in the last 18 mos) as the remaining stock to be sold off dwindles and the public realizes the capability and quality of these trucks. Its pretty much a get one while you still can scenario. In my opinion these represent the absolute best value in a used defender available today-worldwide. Because of the low numbers the Australian's maintained these trucks @ a far higher level than the UK MOD with documented service records conveying with the trucks. The trucks have galvanized chassis and are from an arid continent and typically have zero rust after 25 yrs. The Isuzu 3.9 engine was US EPA approved/certified in the Isuzu and GM light duty NPR series trucks. Engine parts are available stateside and most every other bit on the trucks is common to other defenders, except the chassis which is much stronger than the 14 gauge UK built trucks..
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

ac, defender, part, parts