Defender Source Forum banner

Defender Parts in So Cal

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  bababoris 
#1 ·
I live in Burbank CA. I have a 110 that needs a bit of work.
The engine still has original head gaskets that I think need to be replaced. The truck now always runs hot.
Can someone please recommend a good shop in LA area where I can get someone to confirm my suspicion?

Also what is the best way to order one new running board? Passenger side running board rusted out. Thanks in advance

#5 ·
The rover gauges are a guesstimate at best. If its ticking up more than halfway on the register then it is running too hot.

I second John Gadd at Union Jack 4x4 (Formerly Roverdude) and Gordon at Inland Rovers. Both are great guys with good pricing.

If you are at all mechanically inclined I'd check and see if you cant find out why the motor is overheating. It could be something as simple as a stuck thermostat (been there, done that) or your radiator may just be crudded up and not have the capacity to cool the engine efficiently. Another suspect thing could be the viscous unit on the fan, if it has gone south then the fan wont lock up and cool the engine as the temp increases. If all of those things check out then you might want to have the coolant checked for exhaust gasses. The older 3.9's dont have nearly the same amount of problems with head gaskets as the later 4.0/4.6 motors but it's not something out side of the realm of possibility.

When was the last time you had any maintenance done on the truck? How long as the hot running been going on?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.