Defender Source Forum banner

Defender on a Dyno

Tags
defender
3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  don 
#1 ·
Attempting to get a fueling issue sorted(oodles of black smoke under load) I took the 110 into a diesel shop. Their MO is to put it on a dyno in the shop and adjust fueling in-house as opposed to climbing hills I guess. It's a 2 wheel dyno so I dropped the front shaft for the test. There was 71hp at the rear wheels @ about 3400rpm and 12psi boost/1100f egt (test was done in 4th gear till dyno speed read 50mph) My question is about the 4wd system, without the front propshaft in I assume that the center diff will send the front's power to the rear but does it send all of it? anyone know the percentage split if not 100% to wheels with traction?

I'll be asking some injection pump tuning questions once I sort the leaking turbo gasket.

Thanks for any input.

#2 ·
Yes, all the power is going to the rear. You have the diff locked (we hope), so there is no center diff. It is basically a rear wheel drive.

50 mph in 4th and 3400 rpm? You must have a 1.6 transfer case. I hope you are not getting black smoke with 1100 F EGTs!!

#3 · (Edited)
My question is about the 4wd system, without the front propshaft in I assume that the center diff will send the front's power to the rear but does it send all of it? anyone know the percentage split if not 100% to wheels with traction?
If the center diff is locked, 100% goes to the rear....and the front. It goes to all four wheels, even if some of them aren't connected :)

btw I think you are the first person in North America to ever dyno their truck. If not, then it sure seems like it!

What engine do you have?

#10 ·
land rover warns against using a 2wd dynamometer to test their vehicles, 4w dynamometer preferred.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.