Defender Oil Plug - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 23rd, 2015, 07:04 PM
NAS Addict
Jeff
95 D90 ST #2617

Registry
Defender Oil Plug

I am trying to get the oil plug off my 95 3.9l D90 and it will not move. Any ideas or tricks? Have already tried light heat.

------ Follow up post added May 23rd, 2015 05:09 PM ------

Oh, I also tired cussing a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2015, 07:13 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Drive around and get the oil nice and hot and then see if will come loose.

DISCLAIMER
******LET IT COOL COMPLETELY BEFORE YOU REMOVE THE PLUG TO DRAIN THE OIL.*******
Old May 23rd, 2015, 07:16 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
turn left?

They can get in there tight. My army one was tough to remove the first time. Put on a wrench and whacked it with a dead blow. Came out. But if it's really jammed, you could also break the welded nut out of the pan.

If you want to be cautious. Take off the pan and heat it proper. Of course, much better chance of ruining the pan with it off the car. So.. 6 of 1. Probably just tight, or you're having a stroke and turning it right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2015, 07:22 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Funny, I used a 6 foot steel tube as a cheater bar to remove the front diff plug on my ExMOD 90. Frightening but it had to be done. I put it back together and tightened to factory spec with no leaks.
Old May 23rd, 2015, 08:03 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
On a lift I guess eh?

I need to go through all my fluids again. they're still oozing nicely, so I know they're not leaking. But I found an ooze from a front axle hub bolt. I can't remember if there's a seal that's supposed to stop that. I need to investigate.

Oh yea..> OP.. there's heat or not. Light heat ain't a thing. It gets light heat in normal operation. Even with all the oil in there, if you get a butane torch and center it on the plug for a bit so that water would go "hiss" if it touched it... that's heat sufficient for loosening bolts. I would venture to guess.. the vicinity of 300C or hotter. Thats what we used for tightening down hot operation parts that couldn't take high torque. Otherwise they'd leak or loosen with heat cycles.
WIth a pool of oil, you shouldn't be able to heat the oil to flash point (250C ish.)

Also, something I had work ONCE on a stuck brake caliper bolt. Hot as hell.. then Ice water. With oil in it you'll have trouble getting "hot as hell". pinpoint accuracy of a butane torch.. zippo/cooking torch, is great for this stuff.
Old May 23rd, 2015, 08:10 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
What have you tried. Impact is usually the solution. Big wrench and big hammer.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender